Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Coolpix 775 & 2100

Nikon Coolpix 775 & 2100

Larry R Harrison Jr

I just won a Coolpix 775 today on eBay about $180 total (w/shipping). I was
THIS close to getting the 2100 from a local dealer (ok, Ritz--or maybe Best
Buy), but the 775 seemed to be much the same and so I hoped I could get it a
bit cheaper, and was.

I liked the 2500 except (a) lack of viewfinder, a problem in sunny climates
like ours in southern AZ and (b) slowness to change "Scenes" vs the dial
with 2100 or 775. Plus, I prefer the ergonomic grip-style vs the flat style
of the 2500.

Anyway, apparently the 775 has 9 scenes. Now, the 2100 has a "sports" scene
which I suppose would force it to use faster shutter speeds. My question is,
wouldn't the portrait mode do that as well since it uses large apertures?

Beyond that, what are your impressions of the 775 vs the 2100? I do realize
the extra scene modes plus the 2100 uses AA batteries, a HUGE plus. What
else beyond that?

LRH

Larry R Harrison Jr

"John O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> I know this doesn't answer your questions, but I've go to ask. Why are
> you bothering to compare the cameras after you've made your purchase??
> Seems kind of pointless to me. I'd just enjoy the one I got and not
> worry about the road not taken.
>
> --
> John O.
> There is no slack in light attack.

You may have a point there.

Stephen Smith

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> I just won a Coolpix 775 today on eBay about $180 total (w/shipping). I was
> THIS close to getting the 2100 from a local dealer (ok, Ritz--or maybe Best
> Buy), but the 775 seemed to be much the same and so I hoped I could get it a
> bit cheaper, and was.
>
> I liked the 2500 except (a) lack of viewfinder, a problem in sunny climates
> like ours in southern AZ and (b) slowness to change "Scenes" vs the dial
> with 2100 or 775. Plus, I prefer the ergonomic grip-style vs the flat style
> of the 2500.
>
> Anyway, apparently the 775 has 9 scenes. Now, the 2100 has a "sports" scene
> which I suppose would force it to use faster shutter speeds. My question is,
> wouldn't the portrait mode do that as well since it uses large apertures?
>
> Beyond that, what are your impressions of the 775 vs the 2100? I do realize
> the extra scene modes plus the 2100 uses AA batteries, a HUGE plus. What
> else beyond that?
>
> LRH

Portrait will do just the opposite of the sport mode. For any given
light condition, portrait will increase aperture and hence decrease
shutter speed. Sport will have smaller aperture and increased shutter speed

Larry R Harrison Jr

"Stephen Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Portrait will do just the opposite of the sport mode. For any given
> light condition, portrait will increase aperture and hence decrease
> shutter speed. Sport will have smaller aperture and increased shutter

speed

Actually, according to the descriptions and the PDF owner's manual, portrait
on these Nikons uses a LARGE aperture, because they mention blurring the
background to make the subject stand out. So of course that means a faster
shutter speed.

The only difference there seems to be between sport & portrait is that sport
is somewhat more like "shutter priority" in that the faster shutter speed is
the specific & direct aim, while portrait the large aperture is the specific
aim--with the faster shutter speed being the RESULT of this.