Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: thumbnail and HTML generator

Re: thumbnail and HTML generator

Steve

Saqib Ali wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> What is a good thumbnail and HTML generator. (i dont have XP or Mac).
>

> Thanks
> Saqib Ali

Saqib:

I use both IrfanView (for reviewing my image files) and Easy Thumbnails (for
making my thumbnails and thumbnail index page). While IrfanView is an
excellent product for several uses, especially viewing, the thumbnails that
it produces IMHO are inferior to that of Easy Thumbnails.

IrfanView creates a square thumbnail where the user must specify the
background color to fill in the area of the square not occupied by a
rectangular image. The resulting area will dither differently than the HTML
background color in both Internet Explorer and Mozilla (Netscape) resulting
in somewhat of a "checkerboard" appearence in the index thumbnail page that
IrfanView produces.

This is not the case with Easy Thumbnails which creates rectangular
thumbnails from rectangular images. Easy Thumbnails has a template that you
can edit for creating your index thumbnail page. You will have to edit the
resulting page in an HTML or text editor in order to produce the final web
page though, which will be a little more work than in IrfanView. I always
edited the resulting page in IrfanView anyway.

You can get Easy Thumbnails for free at:

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php

You can get IrfanView for free at:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Good luck,