Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > trickster on eBay Auction Site - WARNING

trickster on eBay Auction Site - WARNING

Jim Townsend

DS wrote:

> "dartgirl's" positive feedback is based on sales of plastic model kits from
> "near Atlantic City, New Jersey - USA. All are items worth a few dollars.
> From one week ago, to today, "dartgirl" moves to Spain and initiates four
> auctions for high end digital and video equipment??
>
> Auction is limited to "pre-approved" buyers only. Contact the seller to try
> to get on the list, and you'll find yourself pressured to purchase the
> equipment outright, and make payment by Western Union. At that point,
> you'll most certainly be out exactly the amount of money transfered.
>
> You would then contact ebay, only to find out that "dartgirl" had her
> account hi-jacked by some European criminal and is a victim, just like the
> poor buyer. Dartgirl probably fell victim to one of those official looking
> requests from http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) requesting all of his/her account information.
>
> This auction IS a scam, and follows EXACTLY a pattern of very similar
> auctions over the past few weeks. To their credit, ebay has pulled the plug
> on each of them, probably because someone like the original poster here
> reported it to them. If you try the links to these auctions tomorrow,
> you'll probably find that they have been cancelled.
>
> Lighten up on the person posting the warning. He may well have saved some
> poor fool a lot of money.

I've got no problem with scam warnings.. I appreciate people exposing this
stuff.

My contention is that the original poster has been stating that certain
auctions are scams with absolutely nothing to back up the claims. (ie. take
my word for it, or figure it out for yourself).

Had he gone into detail (as you did) he would at least have some credibility
and would have provided some education on what to look for not only in this
auction, but similar ones following this pattern.

Instead he was considerate enough to leave *all* the legwork up to people such
as yourself.

Juan R. Pollo

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got no problem with scam warnings.. I appreciate people exposing

this
> stuff.

I may sound cruel, but I feel like this does a disservice to careless,
greedy shoppers. The red flags here are obvious. Maybe they need to get
burned to learn the lesson.

Take a look at this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3335

A great deal, right? Until you read carefully and note the following
sentence "It features a 1/2.7-inch CCD(not included) which is capable of
recording 2.0 million pixels of visual information." Great, a camera with no
CCD.

When asked to clarify, the seller never answered. Consequently, I did not
bid on the camera.

Was this a trick? The deal was disclosed clear as day.

Bottom line: people must beware, and when in doubt, ask. And above all, if
it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Juan

Jimmy

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> rene maark wrote:
>
> > Have a look at eBay auction site:
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2944253726
> >
> > this site is a tricksterīs site - Warning.
> > maark

> Gee rene.. This is the fourth eBay auction you've identified as 'fraudulent'
> without providing a *hint* of a reason why.
>
> I'm not even going to bother reading this site. How about *sharing* the reason
> you think this person is a trickster ?
>
> Or are you having fun just wasting everyone's time:
>
> You refer people to an auction that has a *lot* of text to read. People go
> there, carefully read through it then take guesses at what could be bad.. You
> sit on the sidelines chuckling at their futile efforts because you know
> there's nothing wrong in the first place.
>
> (Is this close to what you're up to) ?

If you take a look at the auction now you will see that all the items up for offer are now invalid
items. Yesterday I sent a e-mail to the person and received a response back that it was her
auction. When I did a search on the e-mail sent to me, I found it actually came from telefonica.es.
It appears the scam may have originated in El Salvador, and please note -- It is a scam.

Jim Townsend

Jimmy wrote:

> If you take a look at the auction now you will see that all the items up for
> offer are now invalid
> items. Yesterday I sent a e-mail to the person and received a response back
> that it was her
> auction. When I did a search on the e-mail sent to me, I found it actually
> came from telefonica.es. It appears the scam may have originated in El
> Salvador, and please note -- It is a scam.

I've mentioned before.. I have no problem with scam and warning messages.

It just would be nice if people would provide the details of what led them to
the conclusion.. This isn't isn't always readily apparent at a glance.

Leading the terminally stupid to such an auction might even get them to place a
bid when they find themselves unable to find fault with it.

NoOneYouKnow

"Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UwQXa.143082$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> auction. When I did a search on the e-mail sent to me, I found it

actually came from telefonica.es.
> It appears the scam may have originated in El Salvador, and please note --

It is a scam.

Minor correction,

Assuming you are guessing El Salvador based on the top level domain, .es is
actually Spain (Espaņa.)

http://www.iana.org/root-whois/es.htm

---JRE---

Rosedco

Scammers depend upon the buyer's ignorance and greed - otherwise they would be
out of business

Rosemarie

Jimmy

"NoOneYouKnow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f300f30$0$100$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> "Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UwQXa.143082$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
> > auction. When I did a search on the e-mail sent to me, I found it

> actually came from telefonica.es.
> > It appears the scam may have originated in El Salvador, and please note --

> It is a scam.
>
> Minor correction,
>
> Assuming you are guessing El Salvador based on the top level domain, .es is
> actually Spain (Espaņa.)
>
> http://www.iana.org/root-whois/es.htm
>
> ---JRE---

Yup, my mistake. https://www.nic.es/esnic/servlet/WhoisControllerHTML

Andrey Tarasevich

Chris Maines wrote:
> This is DEFINATELY A SCAM.
> I contacted the "seller", and got a very fast reponse which I've copied
> below. I posted some probing follow-ups and got no response at all. We
> emailed again using my girlfriends ID and got a nice swift response.

Yep. A classic Western Union + stolen credit card scam.

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich