Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Options for transfering images from CF to PC

Options for transfering images from CF to PC

paul

I have a Canon A70 digital camera and am getting tired of it taking
forever to transfer my pictures to the computer via the USB cable that
I plug into the camera. Not to mention the constant discharge of the
batteries when I forget and leave the camera plugged into the USB port
all night.

What would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to buy a USB 2.0
card and a USB reader? I have a Dell optiplex 933 mhz computer with 2
USB ports and several PCI slots open.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

John M

I use a USB 2.0 card reader and a PCI usb 2.0 card on an old windows 98
machine. It works like a charm, and transfers infinitely faster than the
camera. And you can still use the Canon Zoombrowser utility to do the
download - you just have to open the program manually (at least on my
windows 98 machine).

Another solution - for laptops - is a cheapo PCMCIA adapter (cost me $7).
My Windows XP laptop automagically recognizes when I pop in the adapter and
opens up Zoombrowser. Unfortunately, it's not quite as fast as the USB 2.0
reader - but still much faster than transferring from the camera with USB 1.

"paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a Canon A70 digital camera and am getting tired of it taking
> forever to transfer my pictures to the computer via the USB cable that
> I plug into the camera. Not to mention the constant discharge of the
> batteries when I forget and leave the camera plugged into the USB port
> all night.
>
> What would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to buy a USB 2.0
> card and a USB reader? I have a Dell optiplex 933 mhz computer with 2
> USB ports and several PCI slots open.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Martin Francis

"paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> What would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to buy a USB 2.0
> card and a USB reader? I have a Dell optiplex 933 mhz computer with 2
> USB ports and several PCI slots open.

Nope. A USB 2.0 card and a USB 2.0 reader will do the trick, but if you
don't buy the 2.0 reader your USB 2.0 card is just so much wasted money.

I bought a 2.0 reader, plugged it in, and left it. Nothing else needed- XP
recognised it instantly, no issues with reading SM or CF, and it's quite
fast too.

--
Martin
http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty

Andre

On 4 Aug 2003 11:38:01 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (paul) wrote:

>What would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to buy a USB 2.0
>card and a USB reader? I have a Dell optiplex 933 mhz computer with 2
>USB ports and several PCI slots open.

Sandisk Firewire card reader and a Firewire PCI card. I get 5.3MB/s
reading a Lexar 16x card, or 4MB/s reading a Microdrive. I'm quite
happy with that.

Ron Hunter

paul wrote:

> I have a Canon A70 digital camera and am getting tired of it taking
> forever to transfer my pictures to the computer via the USB cable that
> I plug into the camera. Not to mention the constant discharge of the
> batteries when I forget and leave the camera plugged into the USB port
> all night.
>
> What would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to buy a USB 2.0
> card and a USB reader? I have a Dell optiplex 933 mhz computer with 2
> USB ports and several PCI slots open.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Yes, buy a USB 2.0 card reader (about $20). Don't expect blazing speed
though as most cards aren't able to read or write at speeds anywhere
near the max of USB 2.0.

paul

Can anybody recommend a good CF reader? I see cheep and expensive
ones on eBay. Is there much difference?

"John M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<7QxXa.17$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I use a USB 2.0 card reader and a PCI usb 2.0 card on an old windows 98
> machine. It works like a charm, and transfers infinitely faster than the
> camera. And you can still use the Canon Zoombrowser utility to do the
> download - you just have to open the program manually (at least on my
> windows 98 machine).
>
> Another solution - for laptops - is a cheapo PCMCIA adapter (cost me $7).
> My Windows XP laptop automagically recognizes when I pop in the adapter and
> opens up Zoombrowser. Unfortunately, it's not quite as fast as the USB 2.0
> reader - but still much faster than transferring from the camera with USB 1.
>
> "paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I have a Canon A70 digital camera and am getting tired of it taking
> > forever to transfer my pictures to the computer via the USB cable that
> > I plug into the camera. Not to mention the constant discharge of the
> > batteries when I forget and leave the camera plugged into the USB port
> > all night.
> >
> > What would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to buy a USB 2.0
> > card and a USB reader? I have a Dell optiplex 933 mhz computer with 2
> > USB ports and several PCI slots open.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Paul

Ron Hunter

paul wrote:
> Can anybody recommend a good CF reader? I see cheep and expensive
> ones on eBay. Is there much difference?
>

> "John M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<7QxXa.17$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>>I use a USB 2.0 card reader and a PCI usb 2.0 card on an old windows 98
>>machine. It works like a charm, and transfers infinitely faster than the
>>camera. And you can still use the Canon Zoombrowser utility to do the
>>download - you just have to open the program manually (at least on my
>>windows 98 machine).
>>
>>Another solution - for laptops - is a cheapo PCMCIA adapter (cost me $7).
>>My Windows XP laptop automagically recognizes when I pop in the adapter and
>>opens up Zoombrowser. Unfortunately, it's not quite as fast as the USB 2.0
>>reader - but still much faster than transferring from the camera with USB 1.
>>
>>"paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>>
>>>I have a Canon A70 digital camera and am getting tired of it taking
>>>forever to transfer my pictures to the computer via the USB cable that
>>>I plug into the camera. Not to mention the constant discharge of the
>>>batteries when I forget and leave the camera plugged into the USB port
>>>all night.
>>>
>>>What would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to buy a USB 2.0
>>>card and a USB reader? I have a Dell optiplex 933 mhz computer with 2
>>>USB ports and several PCI slots open.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>Paul

For a USB 1.1 reader, I recommend the ZIO. It comes with drivers, or
you can download them from ZIO's site, and I have had absolutely no
problem using it on any computer I have tried it on. I also have had
good service from the PQI 6 in 1 reader (USB 2.0), which WinXP
recognized without needing to load a driver. It also works perfectly so
far.

Ron Hunter

paul wrote:
> Will I notice the difference between a USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 card reader
> or would my CF card be the bottleneck? Do I need to look for a reader
> that can both read and write or do they have this capability by
> default. I want to be able to use this as a portable storage to take
> data from work to home also.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Paul,
As far as I know, all card readers also write to the card. I use my
CF cards and reader(s) to transport data to and from work, and it works
very well, if somewhat slowly. I have both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 readers,
and on some cards there is no difference, but I have a 128Meg Lexar card
that is about 2.5 times as fast on the USB 2.0 reader as on the USB 1.1
reader, at writing, at least. The card certainly does make a difference.