Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CD writer erased files when added a file

CD writer erased files when added a file

Roland

Quick question, I wrote my photo colection to a CD and the next day,
added a file and doing so, it erased the original files. Any help here
please...

STIG

It didn't erase the files, they're still there but you won't be able to see
them until you finalize the cd.

Rob.

"Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Quick question, I wrote my photo colection to a CD and the next day,
> added a file and doing so, it erased the original files. Any help here
> please...

Charlie

On 4 Aug 2003 08:49:18 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Roland)
wrote:

>Quick question, I wrote my photo colection to a CD and the next day,
>added a file and doing so, it erased the original files. Any help here
>please...

We really need some more information, like how did you write the new
file, how did you write the original files, etc, but I'll make a few
guesses;

If you wrote the original files by mastering the disc, writing track
at once, and choosing to close the session but leave the CD open, then
the chances are that your original files are there, but unavailable
because you neglected to import the privious session. You can recover
access to them by using your mastering program to open that earlier
session (available on only some programs) or getting a utility
designed to do exactly that.

OTOH, you might have written to the disc using something like Direct
CD, which allows you to format the CD and then use it as a large
floppy disc. This is called "packet writing" and is subject to many
problems, even more when used with CDRW media (and you don't mention
whether you used CDR or CDRW media).

So post the details of just exactly what you did in each step, and I'm
sure someone can help.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir
If you really want to reply via email, my valid

Roland

Thanks for your help. I am using CD's that cant be re-written to only
and using software that came with the Sony CDRW. The software is NTI
CD_Maker 2000 plus and just selected the Data CD icon. The window
didnt show any data in the CD, I just draged the file to copy and
presto. I didnt see any options mentioning mastering or leaving the CD
open.
The software looks childish and would like a recomendation on which
software to use or is this NTI an acceptable program?