Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need a pair of top quality binoculars... Any suggestions? e.g. Where to try the best names out [London]!

Need a pair of top quality binoculars... Any suggestions? e.g. Where to try the best names out [London]!

kpfeif

"Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3f2e5ca2$0$10775$(E-Mail Removed) >...
> Hi
>
> I want to buy a really decent pair of binoculars.
> I'll go upto about GBP 500-700 if I have to.
>
> I'm going to be doing hillwalking/birdwatching.
> And I want something that (in order of priority):
>
> a) is light in weight!
>
> b) I can look through for several minutes at at
> time without eyestrain
>
> c) Is atleast x10 magnification. (Yes I'll take my chances
> and go above x8, thank you!)
>
> d) Good quality sharp image (I have good eyes)
> without too much internal reflections too.
>
> d) Has a reasonably wide field of view.
> (Say 300ft at 1000yds)

Mmmmmm....Zeiss and Leica. Fantastic optics.

Also, I've looked at the Pentax DCF binoculars - very nice, as well.

dshank@teleport.com

I have a pair of Canon 10X30 Image Stabilizer binos. They're great.
We've taken them everywhere, including the tropics. Only problem we've
had (which Canon repaired) was the scratches on the lens caused by
chaffing from our eyeglasses when the eyecup rubber was rolled down..
The stabilized image works remarkably well. Great for soaring hawks or
plane spotting. Also very handy for seeing detail on shorebirds. But
they have a fairly narrow field of view.

My main birding bino for several years has been the Nikon Venturer LX
10X42. Paid close to $1100 from Eagle Optics when they first came out.
They have fantastic optics. But more recently, I'm using the new Nikon
Venturer LX 8X32. This is a smaller bino and it has the same wonderful
optics. But more important for me, it has a 7.8-degree, very bright
and flat field of view. I can actually follow a bird flying through
the puckerbrush, something more difficult with the 10-power optics.

Before buying them I compared them with Swarovski and Leica 8X32 binos
and found them more to my liking. Plus, less expensive.
I got mine for $560 from CameraLand.com.

Read a review of these new binos at
http://www.betterviewdesired.com/10-02/nikon.html

Shelly

Canon IS 10x30 -- fantastic. So incredible that
I got a bunch of OOHs and AAHs when I passed
them around at a recent outing. Folks couldn't
believe how steady and bright they were. If I had
it to do over, I might even consider the 15s.

Shelly

Simon Gardner

In article <bgp03u$ihd$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Simon Gardner <(E-Mail Removed)[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <3f2fbf9c$0$10780$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Swarovski is a new name to me where are they from?

> > Austria.
> >
> > Generally thought to be superior to Zeiss and Leica. But in any case all
> > three are way ahead of all others. If you are looking for the best quality
> > then you will only find it amongst these three. The real test is in poor
> > light BTW
> >

> Yep, but if your not using them in poor light then many cheaper binoculars
> will suffice.
>
> As always birdwatching mags can't wait to promote the flashy/pricey kit.
> But not everyone can afford 700 for a pair bins or 1000 plus on a scope.
> Its like car magazines concentrating on Mercedes, BMW and Lexus and ignoring
> Fiats, Ford and Volkswagon.

He said "top quality". If he'd wanted down to a price OK-ish ones, I'm sure
he would have said something different.

Richard DeLuca

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Richard DeLuca <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Fine binoculars, yes, and perhaps a bargain or even a 'best buy.' And I
> > meant to say 'roof prism' rather than porro. But I still stand by my
> > original statement that Zeiss, Swarovski and Leitz are the finest roof
> > prism binos. They deserve their reputation.

> Do you have an opinion of the Nikon Premier series? They have gotten
> extremely good reviews, right up there with Zeiss. I tried some in
> the store and thought they were great, but am not experienced enough
> to compare them intelligently to the Leitz and Zeiss binoculars that I
> also tried.
>
> I forgot to mention in my earlier post that they have a 10x25 which is
> very reasonably priced (around $300) for top-end binoculars with phase
> coating and all that.

If I came across as knowledgeable about all binoculars, I'm not. I own
4 pairs, of different sizes, all bought over the years from Wall Street
Camera in New York. I knew one of the owners pretty well, and he would
let me take two or three different brands home at the same time, so that
I might compare them and make an informed decision. I always wound up
liking the Leicas best.

I do know that Nikon makes some beautiful equipment, but have not tested
any in recent years. If you like them as much or more than the Zeiss,
and you have seen very favorable reviews from respected sources, why not
just take the plunge? Better yet, see if you can take a couple pair
home with you. Some stores will do that, just taking back the pair you
decide not to keep. Try them in daylight, twilight, and under the stars
if you intend to use them for astronomy.

Starry Skies,
Rich

Jim

Like new pair of Zeiss here:

http://www.commspeed.net/jimbo/scopes.htm
"Richard DeLuca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Richard DeLuca <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Fine binoculars, yes, and perhaps a bargain or even a 'best buy.' And I
> > meant to say 'roof prism' rather than porro. But I still stand by my
> > original statement that Zeiss, Swarovski and Leitz are the finest roof
> > prism binos. They deserve their reputation.

> Do you have an opinion of the Nikon Premier series? They have gotten
> extremely good reviews, right up there with Zeiss. I tried some in
> the store and thought they were great, but am not experienced enough
> to compare them intelligently to the Leitz and Zeiss binoculars that I
> also tried.
>
> I forgot to mention in my earlier post that they have a 10x25 which is
> very reasonably priced (around $300) for top-end binoculars with phase
> coating and all that.

If I came across as knowledgeable about all binoculars, I'm not. I own
4 pairs, of different sizes, all bought over the years from Wall Street
Camera in New York. I knew one of the owners pretty well, and he would
let me take two or three different brands home at the same time, so that
I might compare them and make an informed decision. I always wound up
liking the Leicas best.

I do know that Nikon makes some beautiful equipment, but have not tested
any in recent years. If you like them as much or more than the Zeiss,
and you have seen very favorable reviews from respected sources, why not
just take the plunge? Better yet, see if you can take a couple pair
home with you. Some stores will do that, just taking back the pair you
decide not to keep. Try them in daylight, twilight, and under the stars
if you intend to use them for astronomy.

Starry Skies,
Rich

Brian L

http://betterviewdesired.com/

Great site, good reviews.

Good luck.

Brian

Alan W. Craft

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:19:09 +0100, "Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> ...reflected:

>Hi
>
>I want to buy a really decent pair of binoculars.
>I'll go upto about GBP 500-700 if I have to.

<snip>

The Pentax WP 10x50's shouldn't disappoint,
and for about US$125.

<snip>

Alan

Paul Rubin

Alan W. Craft <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> The Pentax WP 10x50's shouldn't disappoint,
> and for about US$125.

The OP wanted a lightweight pair for daytime use. 10x50 would be
ridiculous. He wanted maybe 10x25 or 10x32.

Shiperton Henethe

"Simon Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <3f2fbf9c$0$10780$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Swarovski is a new name to me where are they from?

> Austria.
>
> Generally thought to be superior to Zeiss and Leica. But in any case all
> three are way ahead of all others. If you are looking for the best quality
> then you will only find it amongst these three. The real test is in poor
> light BTW

1. What about Nikons?
I'm not overly worried about poor lighting conditions
but I am *extremely* fussy about basic quality of the
optics (resolution, lens flare, chromatic abberation etc.)

Interestingly this guy seems to rate Nikon's
top lenses above anything else (!):
http://www.betterviewdesired.com/NkSup.html
And he's certainly tried out several binocs!

2. What type of prism?
He also says that porro prisms out perform
roofs - though I presume they weigh more
and this could be a problem for me.
- any views?

3. My *main* interest is either viewing birds of prey
or scanning the magnificant view whilst doing extreme
hill-walking. IMHO, there is little point in having a top
quality lens unless you can support/steady them
and I usually find a way to do so.

With that in mind, has anyone ever tried a decent
pair of x12s with a wide field of view?!
(Controversial or what!!)

4. What about wide field x12s?!
e.g.
Leica Trinovid BN (12x50) Binoculars
are too heavy for me (40.6 oz) but they
have a field of view of "*328* ft @ 1000 yds"
so seeing birds in flight shouldnt be
too difficult! No doubt it would jump
around enough to make you feel a bit sick but
if you can stabilise the image and rest it on
something you then have a fabulous magnification too...

(I am trying to avoid having to carry a scope
as well so the extra magn would be most welcome!)

Please dont shout at me... has anyone actually
*tried* such high power *and* wide field of view
binocs for birding...?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe