Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need a pair of top quality binoculars... Any suggestions? e.g. Where to try the best names out [London]!

Need a pair of top quality binoculars... Any suggestions? e.g. Where to try the best names out [London]!

Shiperton Henethe

Hi

I want to buy a really decent pair of binoculars.
I'll go upto about GBP 500-700 if I have to.

I'm going to be doing hillwalking/birdwatching.
And I want something that (in order of priority):

a) is light in weight!

b) I can look through for several minutes at at
time without eyestrain

c) Is atleast x10 magnification. (Yes I'll take my chances
and go above x8, thank you!)

d) Good quality sharp image (I have good eyes)
without too much internal reflections too.

d) Has a reasonably wide field of view.
(Say 300ft at 1000yds)

Also
- I am not planning to use them at night.
- I dont need them to be waterproof (as this
seems to sacrifice weight).
- I dont wear glasses
- Yes x10! - I shall normally support the glasses
on a solid object whilst using.
- Must be atleast *fairly* easy to use. (i.e. exit
diameter shouldnt be *too* minute!!)

Can anyone make any recommendations?
Are there any idependent reviews available online?

I have tried the bid camera names like
Olympus and even Nikon, but (sorry!) their optics frankly
aren't up to it.

I currently have a surprisingly good pair of old
Zeiss Jena 10x50s but they weigh a tonne,
plus the image could be better...

I think the only real answer is to try out a number
of them myself. Anyone know a big retailer
that has a decent *range* of top names for us to try
anywhere in Central London?

(I dunno... Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Bausch and Lomb,
and maybe Nikon?)

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

P.S. Bit lost between the differenc

Orrie

My son-in-law is a naturist guide in Hawaii, and during a birding trip with
him to a rain forest, I tried a pair of Nikon 10x42 Premier LX binoculars
that were far superior in image quality, brightness and eye relief (I wear
tri-focal eyeglasses) to the Canon binocs I had. They also focused down to
10 feet! The field of view was greater than 300', which made it easy to spot
birds and track them on the wing.

I found them extremely easy to hold steady; not just for a 10x
magnification, but compared to my 8x Canons. I can't say why for sure.

The bad news is that they sell for about $1000 in New York (Nikon's list
price is about $1500), which may be a stretch above your price range.

The body is magnesium to reduce weight, but they are roof prism (solid
glass) rather than porro-prism (essentially mirrors), and they are
waterproof and fogproof (essential in the rain forest environment), so they
are not featherweights. But their heft may contribute to their being so easy
to hold steady.

If you don't need the light gathering power of 42mm lenses, you might want
to see if Nikon makes a 10x35 version.

Orrie

"Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f2e5ca2$0$10775$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi
>
> I want to buy a really decent pair of binoculars.
> I'll go upto about GBP 500-700 if I have to.
>
> I'm going to be doing hillwalking/birdwatching.
> And I want something that (in order of priority):
>
> a) is light in weight!
>
> b) I can look through for several minutes at at
> time without eyestrain
>
> c) Is atleast x10 magnification. (Yes I'll take my chances
> and go above x8, thank you!)
>
> d) Good quality sharp image (I have good eyes)
> without too much internal reflections too.
>
> d) Has a reasonably wide field of view.
> (Say 300ft at 1000yds)
>

> Also
> - I am not planning to use them at night.
> - I dont need them to be waterproof (as this
> seems to sacrifice weight).
> - I dont wear glasses
> - Yes x10! - I shall normally support the glasses
> on a solid object whilst using.
> - Must be atleast *fairly* easy to use. (i.e. exit
> diameter shouldnt be *too* minute!!)
>

> Can anyone make any recommendations?
> Are there any idependent reviews available online?
>
> I have tried the bid camera names like
> Olympus and even Nikon, but (sorry!) their optics frankly
> aren't up to it.
>
> I currently have a surprisingly good pair of old
> Zeiss Jena 10x50s but they weigh a tonne,
> plus the image could be better...
>
> I think the only real answer is to try out a number
> of them myself. Anyone know a big retailer
> that has a decent *range* of top names for us to try
> anywhere in Central London?
>
> (I dunno... Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Bausch and Lomb,
> and maybe Nikon?)
>
> With thanks
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe
>
> P.S. Bit lost between the differenc

Simon Gardner

In article <bglqei$9uh$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Orrie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My son-in-law is a naturist guide in Hawaii, and during a birding trip with
> him to a rain forest, I tried a pair of Nikon 10x42 Premier LX binoculars
> that were far superior in image quality, brightness and eye relief (I wear
> tri-focal eyeglasses) to the Canon binocs I had.

I hope they didn't chafe or collide with anything important.

Paul Rubin

"Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I want to buy a really decent pair of binoculars. I'll go upto
> about GBP 500-700 if I have to.
>
> I'm going to be doing hillwalking/birdwatching. And I want
> something that (in order of priority):

Take a look at <http://www.betterviewdesired.com> which is devoted
to that question.

Basically, for a small 10x, they rave about the Nikon Venturer LX 10x32.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/10-02/nikon.html

> - Yes x10! - I shall normally support the glasses
> on a solid object whilst using.

How are you going to do that? Bring a tripod?

If you're going to hand-hold the binoculars then IMO the Canon IS
10x30 is light years ahead of everything else. Just trying one in a
store for about 2 seconds was enough to convince me of that.

Roger Persson

Hi,
I have the Nikon Superior E 8x32. Sharp, high-contrast and flat-field.
I can see M51 and M101 from a 5.8 magnitude sky. Will keep them forever!
The only bad thing is that it's not water-proof and a bit heavy.
Perfect for birding. For astronomy go with the 10x42.

See URL: http://www.betterviewdesired.com/RefSet.html

/Roger

Paul

Shiperton Henethe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f2e5ca2$0$10775$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi
>
> I want to buy a really decent pair of binoculars.
> I'll go upto about GBP 500-700 if I have to.
>
> I'm going to be doing hillwalking/birdwatching.
> And I want something that (in order of priority):
>
> a) is light in weight!
>
> b) I can look through for several minutes at at
> time without eyestrain
>
> c) Is atleast x10 magnification. (Yes I'll take my chances
> and go above x8, thank you!)
>
> d) Good quality sharp image (I have good eyes)
> without too much internal reflections too.
>
> d) Has a reasonably wide field of view.
> (Say 300ft at 1000yds)

Since you've got the cash have a look at,

Swarovski SLC
Leica BN
Opticron DBA

Try anything before you buy.

If you find one you like check the prices in the Birwatching magazines to
see if you can get them cheaper, if you ask a lot retailers will match the
prices of those in Birdwatching magazines.

Paul

Richard DeLuca

In article <3f2e5ca2$0$10775$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (I dunno... Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Bausch and Lomb,
> and maybe Nikon?)
>
> With thanks

I've owned a pair of Leica (Leitz) 10X50s for several years now, and
absolutely love them. The mechanical build quality is better than
anything else out there with the possible exception of the Swarovski.
Optically, the Zeiss, Swarovski and Leitz are of equal quality, and all
are better glass than any porros produced by the Japanese.

The bottom line on any of these three are how they fit in your
particular hands. All are within your price point. Good luck, and have
fun trying them all- a really fine binocular will provide a lifetime of
enjoyment.

Starry Skies,
Rich

John Navas

In <(E-Mail Removed)> on Tue, 05
Aug 2003 03:52:17 GMT, Richard DeLuca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've owned a pair of Leica (Leitz) 10X50s for several years now, and
>absolutely love them. The mechanical build quality is better than
>anything else out there with the possible exception of the Swarovski.
>Optically, the Zeiss, Swarovski and Leitz are of equal quality, and all
>are better glass than any porros produced by the Japanese.

My own opinion is that my Minolta roof prism binoculars have superb optical
quality at far less cost. I care not for big names, just results. For that
matter, Olympus binoculars on eBay are an incredible bargain.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Paul Rubin

Richard DeLuca <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Fine binoculars, yes, and perhaps a bargain or even a 'best buy.' And I
> meant to say 'roof prism' rather than porro. But I still stand by my
> original statement that Zeiss, Swarovski and Leitz are the finest roof
> prism binos. They deserve their reputation.

Do you have an opinion of the Nikon Premier series? They have gotten
extremely good reviews, right up there with Zeiss. I tried some in
the store and thought they were great, but am not experienced enough
to compare them intelligently to the Leitz and Zeiss binoculars that I
also tried.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that they have a 10x25 which is
very reasonably priced (around $300) for top-end binoculars with phase
coating and all that.

Simon Gardner

In article <3f2fbf9c$0$10780$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Swarovski is a new name to me where are they from?

Austria.

Generally thought to be superior to Zeiss and Leica. But in any case all
three are way ahead of all others. If you are looking for the best quality
then you will only find it amongst these three. The real test is in poor
light BTW