Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Formatting CF and Microdrive

Formatting CF and Microdrive

MB

Hi,

I use two Microdrives and one CF card when shooting with my Fuji S602. I've
filled all the cards up several times over and now I am considering
formatting the cards as I understand this will (ever so slightly) improve
speed.

My question is - what is the best way to do this? I read a lot about FAT,
FAT32 etc without really understanding what it means and what
benefits/issues each could bring. The camera seems to just have one option -
Format - so should I just go ahead and format in the camera? Or should I be
doing something else?

I use a Dazzle Fusion card reader to download direct from the cards, or
alternatively if I am shooting a lot of pictures without access to my
computer I download my cards onto an Archos Multimedia portable hard drive
and transfer to my PC when I get home.

Any advice regarding formatting my cards would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian Stirling

MB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use two Microdrives and one CF card when shooting with my Fuji S602. I've
> filled all the cards up several times over and now I am considering
> formatting the cards as I understand this will (ever so slightly) improve
> speed.
>
> My question is - what is the best way to do this? I read a lot about FAT,
> FAT32 etc without really understanding what it means and what
> benefits/issues each could bring. The camera seems to just have one option -
> Format - so should I just go ahead and format in the camera? Or should I be
> doing something else?

Just formatting in the camera is fine.
What can be a problem is if you leave files on the camera while deleting others,
and then continue to take pictures.
If you do this several times over, especially with a microdrive (due to its
slow seek time) then it may slow down a bit.

Deleting all the files, or formatting does pretty much the same thing.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | (E-Mail Removed) | Ian Stirling.
Prosperity and ruin issue from the power of the tongue.

Lionel

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:44:07 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>, "MB" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>I use two Microdrives and one CF card

I use two 512MB CF cards & a single 1GB Microdrive, myself.

> when shooting with my Fuji S602. I've
>filled all the cards up several times over and now I am considering
>formatting the cards as I understand this will (ever so slightly) improve
>speed.

It won't improve it to any noticible degree, but there's no harm in
doing so if you feel the urge. After transferring my photos to my
computer, I often format the card in the camera because it's actually
faster (in my EOS 10D & Powershot S30) than doing a 'delete all'.

>My question is - what is the best way to do this?

Do it in the camera. That ensures that the format will be 100%
compatible with the camera. This may not be the case if you format it in
your computer.

>Any advice regarding formatting my cards would be appreciated.

Hope this helps, etc.