Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Filter Settings for Adobe Raw Plugin and 10D?

Re: Filter Settings for Adobe Raw Plugin and 10D?

Lionel

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 21:47:40 -0700, in
<bgkoc2$phn4e$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "PTRAVEL"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>Has anyone found a consistent filter or other correction for removing the
>slight magenta cast that results when using the Adobe RAW plugin for
>Photoshop and/or Elements?

I haven't run into such a cast yet, myself, (although I can imagine one
appearing, given that the plugin is balanced for the D60 colour curve,
which is different to that of the 10D). That said, I'd suggest tweaking
the slider that's under the WB slider on the main plugin window. If I
was seeing such a problem consistantly, I'd probably make up an action
to correct it in 16 bit mode in Photoshop itself.

What sort of shots are the ones where you're seeing this cast?

PTRAVEL

"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bgkot9$cis$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 21:47:40 -0700, in
> <bgkoc2$phn4e$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "PTRAVEL"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> >Has anyone found a consistent filter or other correction for removing the
> >slight magenta cast that results when using the Adobe RAW plugin for
> >Photoshop and/or Elements?

> I haven't run into such a cast yet, myself, (although I can imagine one
> appearing, given that the plugin is balanced for the D60 colour curve,
> which is different to that of the 10D). That said, I'd suggest tweaking
> the slider that's under the WB slider on the main plugin window. If I
> was seeing such a problem consistantly, I'd probably make up an action
> to correct it in 16 bit mode in Photoshop itself.
>
> What sort of shots are the ones where you're seeing this cast?

I'm going mostly by rumor and innuendo.

However, yesterday I printed 8 x 10s of a close up of a blue morning-glory
flower (lots of green in the background). I printed one in Photoshop
Elements, using the RAW plug-in, no adjustments. For the other, I used the
transfer feature of the File Viewer Utility to export to Photoshop 7, and
printed from there. There was, indeed, a very subtle magenta cast to the
print made with the plug-in. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I
wasn't looking for it, but it's there.

I don't think WB will necessarily correct it, since, as I understand it,
white balance tweaks the amount of the primaries red and blue. Similarly,
tint varies red and green. There's no specific setting in the plug-in that
would handle the secondaries (or, if you like, the CMYK primaries like
magenta.)

Flycaster

"PTRAVEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgltr5$pic03$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I'm going mostly by rumor and innuendo.
>
> However, yesterday I printed 8 x 10s of a close up of a blue morning-glory
> flower (lots of green in the background). I printed one in Photoshop
> Elements, using the RAW plug-in, no adjustments. For the other, I used

the
> transfer feature of the File Viewer Utility to export to Photoshop 7, and
> printed from there. There was, indeed, a very subtle magenta cast to the
> print made with the plug-in. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I
> wasn't looking for it, but it's there.
>
> I don't think WB will necessarily correct it, since, as I understand it,
> white balance tweaks the amount of the primaries red and blue. Similarly,
> tint varies red and green. There's no specific setting in the plug-in

that
> would handle the secondaries (or, if you like, the CMYK primaries like
> magenta.)

Why don't you just use PS or PS Elements to eliminate the color cast? It is
pretty basic stuff and, after all, that *is* one of the reasons why you have
the software.

David Eppstein

In article <3f314505$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Flycaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I don't think WB will necessarily correct it, since, as I
> > understand it, white balance tweaks the amount of the primaries red
> > and blue. Similarly, tint varies red and green. There's no
> > specific setting in the plug-in that would handle the secondaries
> > (or, if you like, the CMYK primaries like magenta.)

As far as I can tell, tint varies green-magenta. So dropping the tint a
little should clear your magenta cast. Did you try it?

Lionel

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:01:16 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>, David Eppstein
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>In article <3f314505$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Flycaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > I don't think WB will necessarily correct it, since, as I
>> > understand it, white balance tweaks the amount of the primaries red
>> > and blue. Similarly, tint varies red and green. There's no
>> > specific setting in the plug-in that would handle the secondaries
>> > (or, if you like, the CMYK primaries like magenta.)

>As far as I can tell, tint varies green-magenta. So dropping the tint a
>little should clear your magenta cast. Did you try it?

Heh. This was the advice I gave in the first place. (Although I could've
possibly phrased it more clearly, admittedly.)