Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS FOR NEWCOMERS

PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS FOR NEWCOMERS

CAMERA EXPERT

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY BUT NEED SOME HELP, PLEASE BE
SURE TO LEARN THE FOLLOWING TIPS TO PREVENT DISASTER:

1)Never buy a Minolta 35mm SLR. Minolta is a sub-standard camera
manufacturer. They had some respect in the 1980's, but that is
history. They make some OK point and shoot APS cameras, but that is
about it. If you buy a Minolta SLR, you will be getting a camera with
poor build construction. You will be limited as far as lenses and
accessories go. You will be stuck with a non-standard flash mount.
Minolta AF lenses are not as good as lenses made by Nikkor, Canon,
Zeiss, or Leica. If you are buying your first 35mm SLR, get a Canon or
Nikon system. They have the best selection of lenses and accessories
and much better quality bodies than Minolta or Pentax. Canon is
slightly better than Nikon. Leica and Contax are great systems too if
you can afford it.

2)Do not buy a digital camera until they are available with 20
megapixel resolution if you intend to print your pictures. That is
what the equivalent to 35mm film would be. If you are snapping pics
for the web, then a lower resolution may be acceptable.

3)Never buy a point and shoot 35mm camera with a zoom longer than 90.
Even better, try to stick to point and shoots with a fixed focal
length like the Contax T3, Leica Minilux, or Olympus Stylus Epic QD.

4)Never buy any color negative film other than Kodak or Fuji. Kodak is
generally better. If you are shooting black and white film, then you
can use Kodak, Fuji, or Ilford with good results.

5)Never shoot any chromogenic (C-41) black and white films. They are
garbage and have very little contrast.

6)Never shoot any slide films other than Kodachrome Professional. This
is the only truly archival slide film. Other slide films (E-6) may
look good when they are first processed, but give it a year or 2 and
they will start to fade dramatically.

7)Never print Kodak film onto Fuji paper, or vice versa. Print film
only on paper of the same manufacturer.

Never clean your lenses with anything other than a blower brush.

9)Do not use flash for children under 6 months old. It could
permanently damage the child's vision.

10)Keep professional film in the refrigerator until you are ready to
use it. Take it out 1 hour before and allow it to adjust to room
temperature before you remove the film from the plastic container and
load it into the camera. DO NOT keep consumer film in the
refrigerator...it could slow down the aging process and prevent the
film from ripening. NEVER STORE ANY FILM IN THE FREEZER DESPITE WHAT
ANYONE TELLS YOU.

I OFFER THIS ADVICE TO YOU NEWCOMERS SO YOU DON'T MAKE THE SAME
MISTAKES TOO MANY PHOTOGRAPHERS MAKE.

Paul Heslop

CAMERA EXPERT wrote:

> I OFFER THIS ADVICE TO YOU NEWCOMERS SO YOU DON'T MAKE THE SAME
> MISTAKES TOO MANY PHOTOGRAPHERS MAKE.

Thanks... BUT YOU SHOUT TOO MUCH!!!
--
Paul. (I never agreed to be Your holy one)
Not what it seems...

Cheryl Wells

"Camera Expert"??? roflmao!!!

"CAMERA EXPERT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY BUT NEED SOME HELP, PLEASE BE
> SURE TO LEARN THE FOLLOWING TIPS TO PREVENT DISASTER:
>
> 1)Never buy a Minolta 35mm SLR. Minolta is a sub-standard camera
> manufacturer. They had some respect in the 1980's, but that is
> history. They make some OK point and shoot APS cameras, but that is
> about it. If you buy a Minolta SLR, you will be getting a camera with
> poor build construction. You will be limited as far as lenses and
> accessories go. You will be stuck with a non-standard flash mount.
> Minolta AF lenses are not as good as lenses made by Nikkor, Canon,
> Zeiss, or Leica. If you are buying your first 35mm SLR, get a Canon or
> Nikon system. They have the best selection of lenses and accessories
> and much better quality bodies than Minolta or Pentax. Canon is
> slightly better than Nikon. Leica and Contax are great systems too if
> you can afford it.
>
> 2)Do not buy a digital camera until they are available with 20
> megapixel resolution if you intend to print your pictures. That is
> what the equivalent to 35mm film would be. If you are snapping pics
> for the web, then a lower resolution may be acceptable.
>
> 3)Never buy a point and shoot 35mm camera with a zoom longer than 90.
> Even better, try to stick to point and shoots with a fixed focal
> length like the Contax T3, Leica Minilux, or Olympus Stylus Epic QD.
>
> 4)Never buy any color negative film other than Kodak or Fuji. Kodak is
> generally better. If you are shooting black and white film, then you
> can use Kodak, Fuji, or Ilford with good results.
>
> 5)Never shoot any chromogenic (C-41) black and white films. They are
> garbage and have very little contrast.
>
> 6)Never shoot any slide films other than Kodachrome Professional. This
> is the only truly archival slide film. Other slide films (E-6) may
> look good when they are first processed, but give it a year or 2 and
> they will start to fade dramatically.
>
> 7)Never print Kodak film onto Fuji paper, or vice versa. Print film
> only on paper of the same manufacturer.
>
> Never clean your lenses with anything other than a blower brush.
>
> 9)Do not use flash for children under 6 months old. It could
> permanently damage the child's vision.
>
> 10)Keep professional film in the refrigerator until you are ready to
> use it. Take it out 1 hour before and allow it to adjust to room
> temperature before you remove the film from the plastic container and
> load it into the camera. DO NOT keep consumer film in the
> refrigerator...it could slow down the aging process and prevent the
> film from ripening. NEVER STORE ANY FILM IN THE FREEZER DESPITE WHAT
> ANYONE TELLS YOU.
>
> I OFFER THIS ADVICE TO YOU NEWCOMERS SO YOU DON'T MAKE THE SAME
> MISTAKES TOO MANY PHOTOGRAPHERS MAKE.

Paul Larson

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (CAMERA EXPERT) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY BUT NEED SOME HELP,

PLEASE BE
> SURE TO LEARN THE FOLLOWING TIPS TO PREVENT DISASTER:

Bravo.... arthor arthor!

Charlie D

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (CAMERA EXPERT) wrote:

> IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY BUT NEED SOME HELP, PLEASE BE
> SURE TO LEARN THE FOLLOWING TIPS TO PREVENT DISASTER:

snip drivel

> I OFFER THIS ADVICE TO YOU NEWCOMERS SO YOU DON'T MAKE THE SAME
> MISTAKES TOO MANY PHOTOGRAPHERS MAKE.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Polytone

Seriously, what was so bad about what he/she wrote? Isn't it universally
accepted that 35mm film still prints better than any resoluon digital
available yet? Doesn't Minolta have less accessories and lenses than Canon
or Nikon? Don't Kodakcrome slides last longer than E6? Yes his "pointer"
carry some strong opinions, but not all of it is exactly false.

"Charlie D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (CAMERA EXPERT) wrote:
>
> > IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY BUT NEED SOME HELP, PLEASE BE
> > SURE TO LEARN THE FOLLOWING TIPS TO PREVENT DISASTER:

> snip drivel
>
> > I OFFER THIS ADVICE TO YOU NEWCOMERS SO YOU DON'T MAKE THE SAME
> > MISTAKES TOO MANY PHOTOGRAPHERS MAKE.

> --
> Charlie Dilks
> Newark, DE USA

Charlie D

In article <h8kXa.3013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Polytone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yes his "pointer"
> carry some strong opinions, but not all of it is exactly false.

That's why I said, "snip drivel" and not "snip pure drivel" as I was
going to.

Excellent photographs have been made by not following most of the
poster's points.

I, for one had great success with Illford XP-1, their first chromogenic
B&W film. Everyone loved the tonality of the prints I made from it.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Polytone

Charlie, do you like Konica Monochrome 400?

"Charlie D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> In article <h8kXa.3013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Polytone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Yes his "pointer"
> > carry some strong opinions, but not all of it is exactly false.

> That's why I said, "snip drivel" and not "snip pure drivel" as I was
> going to.
>
> Excellent photographs have been made by not following most of the
> poster's points.
>
> I, for one had great success with Illford XP-1, their first chromogenic
> B&W film. Everyone loved the tonality of the prints I made from it.
>
> --
> Charlie Dilks
> Newark, DE USA

Polytone

> Charlie, do you like Konica Monochrome 400?

The reason I ask is because this is the only C41 B&W film I ever used. I had
it processed C41 and printed on Konica Impresa color paper at the minilab
and they came back Sepia.

stan

Paul Heslop wrote:

> CAMERA EXPERT wrote:
>
> > I OFFER THIS ADVICE TO YOU NEWCOMERS SO YOU DON'T MAKE THE SAME
> > MISTAKES TOO MANY PHOTOGRAPHERS MAKE.

What the hell is with the trolls around here? Who's feeding them and
why? We need some troll-icide to rid this group of the ever growing
numbers of these insidious creatures. And they yell a lot too!
Stan
Visual Arts Photography