Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Canon S400 ????

Re: Canon S400 ????

Mister Max

"Ron&Joyce" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

> I Have just bought my wife a Canon S400. She likes it because it is
> small and a point and shoot camera. The question I have is that some
> times when you frame a picture to shoot a couple of green outlined
> squares show in the viewing screen. I can not find out anything about
> what they are trying to tell me. Do they have anything to do with the
> focus or is it the need for a flash . If it is explained in the manual
> I can't find it.
>
> thanks for taking the time to read this . If you need more info or I
> did not explain it right let me know.

The green squares are from the AiAF (Artificial Intelligence AutoFocus),
which the camera uses to guess where you want it to focus. The squares
that are lit are the ones it proposes to use. See page 34 of the manual.
Many of us find it better turned off.
- Max

--
MisterMax
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, Maui, Malaysia, Morocco, Sicily

why do you prefer the AiAF off?

"Mister Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns93CCC452D27Eanonrandomsequenceof@206.127.4 .25...
> "Ron&Joyce" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>
> > I Have just bought my wife a Canon S400. She likes it because it is
> > small and a point and shoot camera. The question I have is that some
> > times when you frame a picture to shoot a couple of green outlined
> > squares show in the viewing screen. I can not find out anything about
> > what they are trying to tell me. Do they have anything to do with the
> > focus or is it the need for a flash . If it is explained in the manual
> > I can't find it.
> >
> > thanks for taking the time to read this . If you need more info or I
> > did not explain it right let me know.

> The green squares are from the AiAF (Artificial Intelligence AutoFocus),
> which the camera uses to guess where you want it to focus. The squares
> that are lit are the ones it proposes to use. See page 34 of the manual.
> Many of us find it better turned off.
> - Max
>

> --
> MisterMax
> Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, Maui, Malaysia, Morocco, Sicily
> (new), St Tropez, Thailand, Tour de France:
> http://buten.net/max/
> (Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of my email address. The double letters in my
> last name are not.)

works for me on my S230...
I only use centre AF for macro usually, I'd probably use it for action as
well.

"Lucas Tam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns93CCF08E9716Dnntprogerscom@140.99.99.138.. .
> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:A1jXa.16982$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > why do you prefer the AiAF off?

> It mis-focuses.
>

> --
> Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

xyz

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 03:38:55 GMT, Lucas Tam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:A1jXa.16982$(E-Mail Removed) t:
>
>> why do you prefer the AiAF off?

>It mis-focuses.

I prefer it off because I want to select what to focus on by using the
centre square. There are some situations where I may turn aiaf back
on.