Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Macro lens choice

Macro lens choice

mehh95

I am thinking of buying my first macro lens for my 10D. (FWIW I
currently have 17-40, 50 and 70-300 glass, but no macro).

I am trying to decide what focal length to go for. Obviously, focal
length will determine perspective and DOF, and having a longer focal
lens will mean I can get further away from the subject and still
achieve the same magnification.

What are the other factors for choosing macro focal length? Will a
long macro be better at certain subjects than a short one, and vice
versa?

Ignore cost for the moment, as I prefer to decide what I want then see
if I can actually afford it

TIA

SqlGuy

Well, to some extent it depends on what you want to use the lens for.
For example, for hummingbirds, a 100mm macro can be a very good choice.
More working distance can be a real advantage.
On the other hand, you should consider the maximum magnification available
with the lens.
My 100mm Canon doesn't go as "close" as some macro lenses, I'm sure.
"mehh95" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am thinking of buying my first macro lens for my 10D. (FWIW I
> currently have 17-40, 50 and 70-300 glass, but no macro).
>
> I am trying to decide what focal length to go for. Obviously, focal
> length will determine perspective and DOF, and having a longer focal
> lens will mean I can get further away from the subject and still
> achieve the same magnification.
>
> What are the other factors for choosing macro focal length? Will a
> long macro be better at certain subjects than a short one, and vice
> versa?
>
> Ignore cost for the moment, as I prefer to decide what I want then see
> if I can actually afford it
>
> TIA

Joseph Meehan

For most uses 100mm range is considered best. Different uses call for
different lenses.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"mehh95" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am thinking of buying my first macro lens for my 10D. (FWIW I
> currently have 17-40, 50 and 70-300 glass, but no macro).
>
> I am trying to decide what focal length to go for. Obviously, focal
> length will determine perspective and DOF, and having a longer focal
> lens will mean I can get further away from the subject and still
> achieve the same magnification.
>
> What are the other factors for choosing macro focal length? Will a
> long macro be better at certain subjects than a short one, and vice
> versa?
>
> Ignore cost for the moment, as I prefer to decide what I want then see
> if I can actually afford it
>
> TIA

JK

mehh95 wrote:

> I am thinking of buying my first macro lens for my 10D. (FWIW I
> currently have 17-40, 50 and 70-300 glass, but no macro).
>
> I am trying to decide what focal length to go for. Obviously, focal
> length will determine perspective and DOF, and having a longer focal
> lens will mean I can get further away from the subject and still
> achieve the same magnification.

Yes, but for a given extension tube magnification will be increased less
with a longer focal length.

> What are the other factors for choosing macro focal length?

For portraits 100mm is usually more useful than 50mm in
35mm film photography, although isn't there a 1.6 factor,
so a 50mm becomes like an 80mm? If so, then a 100mm
macro wouldn't be that useful in many situations, and a 50mm
lens would be much more useful. 50mm macro lenses are
also usually much less expensive than 100mm ones, everything
else being equal.

> Will a
> long macro be better at certain subjects than a short one, and vice
> versa?

A long macro is better if you need more distance from the subject.
Extension tubes won't be as effective in increasing magnification.
A 100mm macro lens may also be slower than a 50mm one.
You didn't describe what you plan to use it for.

> Ignore cost for the moment, as I prefer to decide what I want then see
> if I can actually afford it
>
> TIA

mehh95

Thanks all for the helpful answers...

> Yes, but for a given extension tube magnification will be increased less
> with a longer focal length.

I didn't know that. How does that work then? Are you saying that a
x1.6 tube is not necessarily a x1.6 tube?

> For portraits 100mm is usually more useful than 50mm in
> 35mm film photography, although isn't there a 1.6 factor,
> so a 50mm becomes like an 80mm? If so, then a 100mm
> macro wouldn't be that useful in many situations, and a 50mm
> lens would be much more useful. 50mm macro lenses are
> also usually much less expensive than 100mm ones, everything
> else being equal.

Yep, I think I am leaning towards a 50mm because of the 1.6 factor,
better speed for lower cost.

> You didn't describe what you plan to use it for.

I will be shooting situations where I am prepared to get close to the
subject more often than not.

I guess what I really want is a 0-infinity mm f/0 with macro,
weightless and free of charge! Do they make one yet?

mehh95

JK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> There isn't such a thing as an x1.6 tube. Extension tubes are measured
> by how much they displace the lens in mm. The magnification(when the
> lens is set at infinity for a film camera when the lens is focused at infinity)

D'Oh! I was thinking of the **1.4x Extender**, which is completely
different. OK, I geddit now.

> Most 35mm film photographers find a 50mm macro lens useful
> when they want to get to 1:1 magnification(image on the film is life sized)
> or more,but find a 100mm macro lens more useful when they want less
> than 1:2 magnification and a larger working distance(such as with portraits
> or animal photos. For photographing insects, a 50mm macro lens would
> be better).

PERFECT, thanks. That's exactly the info I need - OK, now it's time to
decide and then call the bank manager

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (mehh95) wrote:

>I guess what I really want is a 0-infinity mm f/0 with macro,
>weightless and free of charge! Do they make one yet?

"f/0" is meaningless. f/0.1 isn't meaningless, but it would mean that a
100mm lens would be at least a meter in diameter.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

mehh95

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> In message <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (mehh95) wrote:
>
> >I guess what I really want is a 0-infinity mm f/0 with macro,
> >weightless and free of charge! Do they make one yet?

> "f/0" is meaningless. f/0.1 isn't meaningless, but it would mean that a
> 100mm lens would be at least a meter in diameter.

John,
I was joking - sorry if I didn't come across properly. As you
correctly point out my f/0 will be infinite in diameter at whatever
zoom... however, since I also specified "weightless", I won't mind a
bit

mehh95

(E-Mail Removed) (Bernhard Mayer) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> Does this give you an idea?

Absolutely. Thanks to you and others for the very informative replies.
I have limited myself to looking at Canon lenses only so far - but I
will definitely look into the Sigma and the Tamron.