Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Good value Pano head for my PowershotG1 please

Re: Good value Pano head for my PowershotG1 please

Paul Cordes

" Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f2d2691$0$28123$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> "Max Madwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bgj0en$ojlc5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Can anyone point me to the subject please.
> > I don't want to spend a fortune.
> >
> > Cheers

> If you have a tripod head then just use very small movments of arc and let
> the software do the rest. It is no great mystery ..... it has been done

with
> plate cameras on wooden stands.

Except the software can't deal with parallax errors.
A panohead allows you to spin the camera around the lens nodal point.

http://www.panoguide.com for some good reading.

Miro

"Paul Cordes" <late*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fjaXa.2680$(E-Mail Removed) et...

> " Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f2d2691$0$28123$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> >
> > "Max Madwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bgj0en$ojlc5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > Can anyone point me to the subject please.
> > > I don't want to spend a fortune.
> > >
> > > Cheers

> > If you have a tripod head then just use very small movments of arc and

let
> > the software do the rest. It is no great mystery ..... it has been done

> with
> > plate cameras on wooden stands.

> Except the software can't deal with parallax errors.
> A panohead allows you to spin the camera around the lens nodal point.
>
> http://www.panoguide.com for some good reading.

Such geekisms ..... it still bloomin works without all the corrections. A
pano is a pano even if it isnt VR 3D Quicktime compliant.

Paul Cordes

" Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f2d32ff$0$28119$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> Such geekisms ..... it still bloomin works without all the corrections. A
> pano is a pano even if it isnt VR 3D Quicktime compliant.

Nothing to do with VR.
If there is anything in the foreground of your pano, parallax will result in
it shifting in position and messing up your pano.
But your right, you can just use a tripod as long as nothing is in the
foreground. But that will limit you sometimes.

Max Madwell

" Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Such geekisms ..... it still bloomin works without all the corrections. A
> pano is a pano even if it isnt VR 3D Quicktime compliant.

Thanks Paul and Miro.
Miro have you ever done a pano? Your suggestion works for distances far
away- not if you do a pano in narrow rooms.
I built a head myself but it is kinda complicated to change around when
changing lenses and zoom.

Paul, I'm looking for a bit better value head if possible which are easily
adjustable and not too heavy.

Cheers

Paul Cordes

"Max Madwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgjcqn$p0pos$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Thanks Paul and Miro.
> Miro have you ever done a pano? Your suggestion works for distances far
> away- not if you do a pano in narrow rooms.
> I built a head myself but it is kinda complicated to change around when
> changing lenses and zoom.
>
> Paul, I'm looking for a bit better value head if possible which are easily
> adjustable and not too heavy.
>
> Cheers

I've not seen a head for much less than the one I suggested. There are
plenty that go for more.
As long as you keep with one focal length, you adjust it once and then your
good to go every time you use it.
You level the head (there's a bubble built in) and then you can tilt the
camera either up or down to suit and it will still stitch perfectly.

Good hunting......PC

Warren Prasek

you really seem to have no frickin idea miro, are you just argumentative for
the sake of it? yes you *can* do panoramas without a pano head, but they are
much easier, more consistent and give better results with a pano head-
ESPECIALLY if you ever have to include anything close to the camera.

yeesh!

Stuart Elflett

Panorama Factory from Smoky City Software does a good job of
perspective correction...

Cheers,
Stuart

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 15:58:45 GMT, "Paul Cordes" <late*(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>" Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:3f2d2691$0$28123$(E-Mail Removed). au...
>>
>> "Max Madwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bgj0en$ojlc5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> > Can anyone point me to the subject please.
>> > I don't want to spend a fortune.
>> >
>> > Cheers

>> If you have a tripod head then just use very small movments of arc and let
>> the software do the rest. It is no great mystery ..... it has been done

>with
>> plate cameras on wooden stands.

>Except the software can't deal with parallax errors.
>A panohead allows you to spin the camera around the lens nodal point.
>
>http://www.panoguide.com for some good reading.

Miro

"Paul Cordes" <late*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MDaXa.2686$(E-Mail Removed) et...

> " Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f2d32ff$0$28119$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> >
> > Such geekisms ..... it still bloomin works without all the corrections.

> > pano is a pano even if it isnt VR 3D Quicktime compliant.

> Nothing to do with VR.
> If there is anything in the foreground of your pano, parallax will result

in
> it shifting in position and messing up your pano.
> But your right, you can just use a tripod as long as nothing is in the
> foreground. But that will limit you sometimes.

Use a 50mm lens and its works perfectly handheld.

Miro

"Max Madwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgjcqn$p0pos$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> " Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Such geekisms ..... it still bloomin works without all the corrections.

> > pano is a pano even if it isnt VR 3D Quicktime compliant.

> Thanks Paul and Miro.
> Miro have you ever done a pano? Your suggestion works for distances far
> away- not if you do a pano in narrow rooms.
> I built a head myself but it is kinda complicated to change around when
> changing lenses and zoom.
>
> Paul, I'm looking for a bit better value head if possible which are easily
> adjustable and not too heavy.
>
> Cheers

It doesnt look that hard ..... a Metz 60ct1 flash bracket with a manfrotto
head and a couple of small attachments. All this precision for a small room
? What exactly do you plan to show off ? How cramped it is ?

Miro

"Warren Prasek" <newsgroupspam at deletethisbit dot wprasek dotcom> wrote in
message news:3f2d8af2$0$26532$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> you really seem to have no frickin idea miro, are you just argumentative

for
> the sake of it? yes you *can* do panoramas without a pano head, but they

are
> much easier, more consistent and give better results with a pano head-
> ESPECIALLY if you ever have to include anything close to the camera.
>
> yeesh!

You are a jerk. I have dozens of these images strips and not one of them has
a nodal point. Talk about being fooled !

The nodal point is a fixed point in space for viewing in VR ..... in all
other instances it serves no purpose.

GeForce 7800 GTX Head-to-Head @ TrustedReviews Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-12-2005 11:25 PM
Pano head l e o Digital Photography 33 09-08-2005 05:41 PM
Pano head for Gitzo 1325 Brian Stirling Digital Photography 1 11-22-2004 03:29 PM
easy free/cheap pano head bob Digital Photography 1 09-07-2004 01:14 PM
Pano head, Panorama Kopf mit Stativ, neu, zu verkaufen oli Digital Photography 0 12-09-2003 02:23 PM

Advertisments