Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: What a difference the type of tripod makes!

Re: What a difference the type of tripod makes!

Mxsmanic

> I just received my new Gitzo 1228 and Acratech Ultimate combination
> after having used a $30 Circuit City job for the past several years
> and I am amazed at the difference in the "feel" of it all.

You get what you pay for.

HRosita

Hi.

Gitzo has been the "Rols Royce" of tripods for a long time but has been out of
the reach of most consumers.
There are however good compromises between the $30 Circuit City one and the
Gitzo. Bogen comes to mind as decent tripods and ball heads.
Rosita

JK

Bogen tripods are built like a tank, however most of them are very heavy.
The twist locks on Gitzo tripods take much longer to set up than the tabs
on Bogen tripods and other brands. There are a number of tripods in the
$80-$150 range that are are nice. Avoid tripods that have plenty of plastic
parts, as they tend not to be very stable.

HRosita wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Gitzo has been the "Rols Royce" of tripods for a long time but has been out of
> the reach of most consumers.
> There are however good compromises between the $30 Circuit City one and the
> Gitzo. Bogen comes to mind as decent tripods and ball heads.
> Rosita

Godfrey DiGiorgi

The Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 is one of my favorites and is not too heavy.
Available with several different heads for about $200.

There's an ultralight CF version too, the 3444D, which is what I bought
and fit either a Manfrotto 3265 head or FOBA MiniSuperBall Plus head
to. A trifle expensive ($325 for the legs, $80 for the Manfrotto head,
$260 for the FOBA head) but well worth it. With head, it weighs just
under 5 lbs.

Either of these will support up to about 6 lbs with the Manfrotto head
or 11 lbs with the FOBA head. I use them with everything from
Hasselblad to Minox cameras.

My last tripod before the 3444D was a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221. Big, tall
beast with the same Manfrotto head. I had it for 17 years and when I
sold it (to get the lighter tripod) it was still in brand-new like
condition despite massive amounts of use.

Godfrey

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, JK <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Bogen tripods are built like a tank, however most of them are very heavy.
> The twist locks on Gitzo tripods take much longer to set up than the tabs
> on Bogen tripods and other brands. There are a number of tripods in the
> $80-$150 range that are are nice. Avoid tripods that have plenty of plastic
> parts, as they tend not to be very stable.
>
> HRosita wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > Gitzo has been the "Rols Royce" of tripods for a long time but has been out
> > of
> > the reach of most consumers.
> > There are however good compromises between the $30 Circuit City one and the
> > Gitzo. Bogen comes to mind as decent tripods and ball heads.
> > Rosita

Graham

Mxsmanic wrote:
> You get what you pay for.

The trouble is that with a tripod it is not always immediately obvious
to a novice what it is that you are paying for.

My relatively cheap tripod proved perfectly adequate for long night time
exposures with moderate lenses on my 35mm camera, but when I bought a
600mm mirror lens it's shortcomings became glaringly obvious.
Add a 3x teleconverter and fool around trying to photograph the moon and
you need to hold your breath before pressing the cable shutter release!

Of course it's perfectly adequate for my Canon A70.
It's also about 10 times the size of the A70!