Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > exposure compensation

exposure compensation

Eyron

The camera is in manual mode and is a Fuji S2 Pro.
If I have a set shutter speed (ie sync at 1/125 sec) and the correct
aperature reads say F9 .
I need the shutter speed to be 1/125 sec.
But I need a lower F stop to limit depth of field.
Will minus 3 stops of exposure control alow this and give me a 3 stop larger
aperature?
Also what would my F stop be here?
Are there any drawback to use exposure compensation. ( ie noise etc.).

EEO

Dave

If I understand you correctly, you say that you are fixing the F stop but
that you have already fixed the shutter speed, and now you want to change
the F stop to affect the depth of field. You would have to raise (higher
number) the F stop to increase the depth of field, and visa versa. But
since you have fixed the shutter speed, the exposure will not longer be
correct. I believe this is a digital camera? If this camera gives you a
RAW file output, then I think you can push or pull the picture +/- two stops
(at least I can with my Canon). If you want to do more than that, I'm not
sure. Also, if your camera does NOT give you a RAW file, then what you
propose may not or will not work.

"Eyron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oq%Wa.57581$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> The camera is in manual mode and is a Fuji S2 Pro.
> If I have a set shutter speed (ie sync at 1/125 sec) and the correct
> aperature reads say F9 .
> I need the shutter speed to be 1/125 sec.
> But I need a lower F stop to limit depth of field.
> Will minus 3 stops of exposure control alow this and give me a 3 stop

larger
> aperature?
> Also what would my F stop be here?
> Are there any drawback to use exposure compensation. ( ie noise etc.).
>

> EEO

Gordon Moat

Eyron wrote:

> The camera is in manual mode and is a Fuji S2 Pro.
> If I have a set shutter speed (ie sync at 1/125 sec) and the correct
> aperature reads say F9 .
> I need the shutter speed to be 1/125 sec.
> But I need a lower F stop to limit depth of field.
> Will minus 3 stops of exposure control alow this and give me a 3 stop larger
> aperature?

Wrong way to do this, since your exposure will be way off.

> Also what would my F stop be here?
> Are there any drawback to use exposure compensation. ( ie noise etc.).

Improper exposure. You would be better off setting the ISO speed three stops
different to force a larger aperture (smaller number). Your other option, if
you cannot alter the ISO setting that far, would be to place a three stop ND
filter over the front of the lens. The ND filter can get you exactly where you
want to be, without changing the ISO setting. Those with film cameras reading
this post can also do the same thing, and is one of the best reasons to own an
ND filter.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
Alliance Graphique Studio
<http://www.allgstudio.com>

Don

Try a ND filter, about 1.0. That will force the aperture to a larger
setting at the specified shutter duration.

Don

--
Experience is what lets you recognize
a mistake when you make it again.

"Gordon Moat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Eyron wrote:
>
> > The camera is in manual mode and is a Fuji S2 Pro.
> > If I have a set shutter speed (ie sync at 1/125 sec) and the correct
> > aperature reads say F9 .
> > I need the shutter speed to be 1/125 sec.
> > But I need a lower F stop to limit depth of field.
> > Will minus 3 stops of exposure control alow this and give me a 3 stop

larger
> > aperature?

> Wrong way to do this, since your exposure will be way off.
>

> > Also what would my F stop be here?
> > Are there any drawback to use exposure compensation. ( ie noise etc.).

> Improper exposure. You would be better off setting the ISO speed three

stops
> different to force a larger aperture (smaller number). Your other option,

if
> you cannot alter the ISO setting that far, would be to place a three stop

ND
> filter over the front of the lens. The ND filter can get you exactly where

you
> want to be, without changing the ISO setting. Those with film cameras

reading
> this post can also do the same thing, and is one of the best reasons to

own an
> ND filter.
>
> Ciao!
>
> Gordon Moat
> Alliance Graphique Studio
> <http://www.allgstudio.com>

Gary Eickmeier

"Eyron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oq%Wa.57581$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> The camera is in manual mode and is a Fuji S2 Pro.
> If I have a set shutter speed (ie sync at 1/125 sec) and the correct
> aperature reads say F9 .
> I need the shutter speed to be 1/125 sec.
> But I need a lower F stop to limit depth of field.
> Will minus 3 stops of exposure control alow this and give me a 3 stop

larger
> aperature?
> Also what would my F stop be here?
> Are there any drawback to use exposure compensation. ( ie noise etc.).

Why has this been posted twice in the same group?

Gary Eickmeier

Danny

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5NdXa.9704$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> (snip)
>
> Why has this been posted twice in the same group?
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Uh.. he's trying to get more "exposure" for his question?

Danny

Eyron

Scattershot

I asked mult. groups.
I dont give a rats ass if you like it or not.
The exposure compensation does not work to achieve a larger aperature.
I tried it.

I thanks anyone who read my question and tried to answer.
One guy Gordon really read my question.
It was clear.

EEO

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:J8DXa.12948$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> "Danny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yGhXa.71973$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
>
> > Uh.. he's trying to get more "exposure" for his question?

> I sure hope he got his answer - he scattershot his question to 8 or 9
> newsgroups. I lost count. And this is the type who will not ever respond
> again in his own thread, to let us know how it all worked out, or to thank
> any responders.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Tesselator

I totally agree Eyron! People like Gary Eickmeier
have nothing whatsoever to contribute so they spend
thier time poliecing the newsgroups. As if... But
you can at least tell this one was a butthead from
his name. There's a few others out there like Tony
Spandero, and Mark M. etc. doing the same sh*t. I
guess some peoples' lives are /just/ that dull.

Anyway Eyron, don't worry about it. Crossposts if
relevant are acceptable and don't cause anyone any
harm.