Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus C-740 - opinions? telephoto?

Olympus C-740 - opinions? telephoto?

Larry Caldwell

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Earl Lewis) writes:

> How come Photoshop tells me that a 1024x768 pic has a print size of
> 14" x 10"? But you're saying 4x6? What am I missing?

> I am loathe to experiment and find out myself, as I own a 1993
> dot-matrix printer. I can't print in any color. As long as it's black.
> As you can see, I'm not too interested in accumulating pics on paper.
> EArl

Hi again, Earl. It just occurred to me that you may not have found the
Web Photo School online lessons that Olympus offers. Take a look at

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...ns/default.asp

Select the C-720, which is as close to a C-740 as you are going to get,
and read through the lessons. They should answer a lot of your
questions.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Earl Lewis

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:25:04 GMT, Larry Caldwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (Earl Lewis) writes:
>
>> How come Photoshop tells me that a 1024x768 pic has a print size of
>> 14" x 10"? But you're saying 4x6? What am I missing?

>> I am loathe to experiment and find out myself, as I own a 1993
>> dot-matrix printer. I can't print in any color. As long as it's black.
>> As you can see, I'm not too interested in accumulating pics on paper.
>> EArl

>Hi again, Earl. It just occurred to me that you may not have found the
>Web Photo School online lessons that Olympus offers. Take a look at
>
>http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...ns/default.asp
>
>Select the C-720, which is as close to a C-740 as you are going to get,
>and read through the lessons. They should answer a lot of your
>questions.

Thanks, I did miss this school. For $500 seems like I should have
gotten a book with these lessons in it. Oh well, they've got to sell
side-by printers I suppose.

One thing I learned (already, and I only read one page) was NOT to
delete the pics from the card with WindowsExplorer while I have it in
the MAUSB-10 USB reader, which is exactly what I've been doing. My
C-740 doesn't offer the option of deleting all the pics on the card at
once (as the manual states that it does) but, rather, allows you only
to reformat the card instead (or delete one pic at a time). I didn't
think reformatting the card each time I took a card-load of pics
sounded very healthy, so I was deleting on-line with WindowsExplorer.
It SEEMED to work fine, but if Olympus says not to do it, I'd better
reformat each time.

Maybe the camera and MAUSB-10 could be out-of-sync somehow, so that
the pulses don't match up, as far a pic deletion is concerned?
Earl
Remove no_spam to reply email

Greg

"Larry Caldwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Greg) writes:
>
> > > I use the self timer a lot for long shots. That allows the use of a
> > > light weight tripod without wiggle. Doesn't the 750 also have an IR
> > > receiver for an IR remote? I thought Olympus added back all the

doodads
> > > that they took off of the C-700.

> > Thanks for the tip... and yes it does come with a remote.

> I am still learning the system. I'm using the humble little C-720, which
> doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the 750 has, but there is
> still plenty of room to experiment.

So many settings that you could take one subject 300 ways, then try to
compare ??

> Right now I have "My Mode" set to full manual exposure control, spot
> metering, hard sharpness and soft contrast, with the digital zoom
> disabled. I'm trying to tame some of the excessive contrast that you get
> on sunny days. I think on cloudy days I would go to normal or even high
> contrast.

Slightly overcast days give awesome pics with very little compensation
required.
Pretty much a point and shoot situation, only need to control the depth of
field.

> The in-camera sharpening seems to be outstanding compared to sharpening
> algorithms from computer programs. I can't see any sharpening artifacts
> at all in the frame. I suppose the camera can query the CCD directly. I
> would really like to read the engineer's report on the camera.

Haven't experimented with this yet.

> Stopping the lens down all the way, (about 2.5 stops at telephoto) I am
> getting pretty good edge to edge sharpness, and the shutter speed at ISO
> 100 is still 1/320, which would be good enough for hand held. Going to
> ISO 200 would give a shutter speed of 1/640, which is sharp at almost any
> speed.

I noticed some distortion at the corners at 10xO and 2xD+, sent pics to
Olympus technical support,
They report my camera is functioning normally !
ISO 400 loses way to much detail, maybe the sharpening will compensate.

> Apparently the smallest aperture is f7.1, which surprises me a little. I
> don't see any reason they couldn't have gone at least to f16 for
> additional depth of field. After all, the shutter speed will adjust down
> to 8 seconds. Tripod macro would have really benefited from an aperture
> as small as f32. Maybe they ran into diffraction problems? What is the
> smallest aperture on the C-750?

The C-750's smallest aperture is f8.0. Also ISO range is 50,100,200,400.
The aperture settings are deceiving as even at f5.0 the depth of field is
very large.

> I think I'll switch over to shutter priority and set a slow shutter speed
> to see if I can force a smaller aperture.
>
> Lots of stuff to learn yet.

for sure ...

Greg

Larry Caldwell

(E-Mail Removed) (Earl Lewis) writes:

> My
> C-740 doesn't offer the option of deleting all the pics on the card at
> once (as the manual states that it does) but, rather, allows you only
> to reformat the card instead (or delete one pic at a time).

It's there, but the option only comes up if you have the top dial set in
playback mode.

I know what you mean, though. The least they could have done was provide
a complete menu tree. I'm still finding options hidden in some obscure
setting that I didn't know existed. Learning all the nooks and crannies
would be easier if they provided a road map. It took me an hour just to
figure out that you can't switch to macro mode on the lens if you are in
auto exposure mode, and another 10 minutes to figure out that if you are
in macro mode you can't focus to infinity until you disable macro mode.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Earl Lewis

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 23:19:23 GMT, Larry Caldwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
<snip>
>> Yeah! I found that out already trying to shoot flying model planes!
>> Like shooting at an F16 with an AK47? You have to GUESS when to press
>> the camera shutter (how much to lead the thing).

>I'm thinking about tinkering up something that will attach to the tripod
>mount and at least let me track a moving object in the center of the
>frame.

Can I ask, is this to be an optic, like a rifle scope, that is aligned
to aim at the same point as the camera's viewfinder is aiming at? Or
something even more arcane?
Earl

Remove no_spam to reply email

Larry Caldwell

(E-Mail Removed) (Earl Lewis) writes:

> Can I ask, is this to be an optic, like a rifle scope, that is aligned
> to aim at the same point as the camera's viewfinder is aiming at? Or
> something even more arcane?

Even more simple. I was thinking a couple wire frames, one approximately
wide angle and the other just about telephoto. Sometimes old solutions
are the best. The old twin lens reflex and speed graphic press cameras
had sports finders like that. The only information you get is that your
subject is in the frame that you are photographing. It makes it a snap
to track moving objects, and if it takes 1.4 seconds to take the picture
after you press the button, you just keep tracking.

I wish there was a way to disable autofocus. For most sports photography
you can just set your focus and forget it, but the camera never forgets.
The best you can do is half-press to prefocus, then fire when ready. My
finger gets tired, waiting.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc