Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus C-740 - opinions? telephoto?

Reply
Thread Tools

Olympus C-740 - opinions? telephoto?

 
 
Earl Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003
I've just purchased an Olympus C-740 Zoom. I am not even an amateur
photographer, just the last computer nerd in the US who didn't have a
digital camera yet. I am very impressed by the photos I'm getting
(what do I know, I never was much interested before), but somewhat
disappointed by not finding any discussions about this model on this
newsgroup. I suppose this model is not aimed at high end
photographers, rather guys like me who are mostly click-and-shoot?

I'm interested in getting a telephoto lens for it, Olympus sells a
TCON-17, which requires a CLS-4 adaptor tube for this camera.
This lens weighs the better part of a pound, and upon looking at the
threads it's intended to screw onto, I'm wondering about how much
stress this weight will put on the barrel that moves in and out to
'zoom' the camera. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Earl
Remove no_spam to reply email
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Bech
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003
Yes, 17X ?!?!?!
If you must the axtra lens does not mount to the main lens, it is mounted
around it.


Silvio Dante wrote:

> Earl Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> staggered into the Bada Bing and
> slurred:
>
>>I'm interested in getting a telephoto lens for it, Olympus sells a
>>TCON-17, which requires a CLS-4 adaptor tube for this camera.
>>This lens weighs the better part of a pound, and upon looking at the
>>threads it's intended to screw onto, I'm wondering about how much
>>stress this weight will put on the barrel that moves in and out to
>>'zoom' the camera. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

>
> I think 10x zoom is enough.... you want 17x !!!!
>
> I don't think screwing on the lens will have any effect on the moveable
> barrel. I used a screw on lens with an Oly 3030 and never had any problem.
>
>
>
>
>
> "She's so fat, her blood type is Ragu."


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Larry Caldwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Earl Lewis) writes:

> I've just purchased an Olympus C-740 Zoom. I am not even an amateur
> photographer, just the last computer nerd in the US who didn't have a
> digital camera yet. I am very impressed by the photos I'm getting
> (what do I know, I never was much interested before), but somewhat
> disappointed by not finding any discussions about this model on this
> newsgroup. I suppose this model is not aimed at high end
> photographers, rather guys like me who are mostly click-and-shoot?


With minor variations, the Olympus C-7xx ultra zoom models are pretty
similar.

The high end point and shoot market is exactly who the camera is aimed
at. The camera is too bulky to fit in a shirt pocket, so it is not
compact by today's standards. You need to carry a camera bag, so you may
as well lug along a filter adapter and a polarizing filter. The 3
megapixel CCD will give you pretty fair prints up to 8x10. The 10x
optical zoom is an impressive piece of glass for a point and shoot
camera.

Some of the camera's features work very well, some don't. The viewfinder
blanks out when you press the shutter, so the automatic sequential
exposure feature is pretty useless. I really wish it had a sports finder
for action shots. There is no external flash sync, so additional strobes
have to be triggered with a photocell. OTOH, the zoom has a very nice
macro mode, and the camera has excellent manual control options.

> I'm interested in getting a telephoto lens for it, Olympus sells a
> TCON-17, which requires a CLS-4 adaptor tube for this camera.
> This lens weighs the better part of a pound, and upon looking at the
> threads it's intended to screw onto, I'm wondering about how much
> stress this weight will put on the barrel that moves in and out to
> 'zoom' the camera. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?


Your zoom lens is already a telephoto lens that is pushing into super
telephoto territory. Try walking instead of zooming. No amount of
magnification will substitute for camera position. If you are willing to
move around, most shots can be taken with no telephoto at all. However,
you should definitely get the CLS-4 and a polarizing filter.

You could also switch your resolution to 1024x768 and enable the digital
zoom. That will give you adequate resolution for a 4x6 print, and triple
the magnification of your ultra zoom.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Caldwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003
(E-Mail Removed) (Silvio Dante) writes:

> I think 10x zoom is enough.... you want 17x !!!!


The 1.7x telephoto extender won't give him a 17x zoom, it will just give
him a 10x zoom with an apparently longer focal length. With the adapter
mounted, he will lose his wide angle capability.

> I don't think screwing on the lens will have any effect on the moveable
> barrel. I used a screw on lens with an Oly 3030 and never had any problem.


I don't think Olympus recommends using the telephoto extender with the
C-7xx series. I don't know if it is optically incompatible (I suspect)
or if it will not mount properly.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
 
Reply With Quote
 
Earl Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003
On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 15:31:47 GMT, Larry Caldwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:


>>The 1.7x telephoto extender won't give him a 17x zoom, it will just give
>>him a 10x zoom with an apparently longer focal length. With the adapter
>>mounted, he will lose his wide angle capability.


Interesting, I too suspected that the total magnification would equal
17x. Ummm... what the hell is a 'longer focal length'? From semantics,
I'm guessing that you wouldn't need to focus as often as you move
toward or away from the target. But since the camera uses some kind of
auto-focusing feature, that wouldn't seem to be of much help to me?

>>I don't think Olympus recommends using the telephoto extender with the
>>C-7xx series. I don't know if it is optically incompatible (I suspect)
>>or if it will not mount properly.


Near as I can figure it IS incompatible with the 720 and 730, but
compatible with the 740.

>The high end point and shoot market is exactly who the camera is aimed
>at. The camera is too bulky to fit in a shirt pocket, so it is not
>compact by today's standards. You need to carry a camera bag, so you may
>as well lug along a filter adapter and a polarizing filter. The 3
>megapixel CCD will give you pretty fair prints up to 8x10. The 10x
>optical zoom is an impressive piece of glass for a point and shoot
>camera.
>
>Some of the camera's features work very well, some don't. The viewfinder
>blanks out when you press the shutter, so the automatic sequential
>exposure feature is pretty useless.


> I really wish it had a sports finder
>for action shots.


Yeah! I found that out already trying to shoot flying model planes!
Like shooting at an F16 with an AK47? You have to GUESS when to press
the camera shutter (how much to lead the thing).

>There is no external flash sync, so additional strobes
>have to be triggered with a photocell. OTOH, the zoom has a very nice
>macro mode, and the camera has excellent manual control options.
>
>> I'm interested in getting a telephoto lens for it, Olympus sells a
>> TCON-17, which requires a CLS-4 adaptor tube for this camera.
>> This lens weighs the better part of a pound, and upon looking at the
>> threads it's intended to screw onto, I'm wondering about how much
>> stress this weight will put on the barrel that moves in and out to
>> 'zoom' the camera. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

>
>Your zoom lens is already a telephoto lens that is pushing into super
>telephoto territory. Try walking instead of zooming. No amount of
>magnification will substitute for camera position. If you are willing to
>move around, most shots can be taken with no telephoto at all.


> However,
>you should definitely get the CLS-4 and a polarizing filter.
>


Why come should I want to do that?

>You could also switch your resolution to 1024x768 and enable the digital
>zoom. That will give you adequate resolution for a 4x6 print, and triple
>the magnification of your ultra zoom.


I'm already using 1024x768 cause that's the monitor resolution I use,
and it gives me more shots - 70 something on a 16mb xdPicture card. I
didn't realize that reducing the size of the pic would increase my
magnification. I guess I need a camera school - or to haunt this
newsgroup for a while.
Earl

Remove no_spam to reply email
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003
> Larry Caldwell wrote:
> > The high end point and shoot market is exactly who the camera is aimed
> > at.


JK <(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Not really. Most experienced photographers want a camera with a faster
> lens(f2.8 or faster throughout the entire zoom range), and would rather
> have a lens with less of a zoom range that is sharper.


Why "not really?"
I don't consider "point and shooters," even high end ones to be
experienced photographers.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA
 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Caldwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003
(E-Mail Removed) (Earl Lewis) writes:
> On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 15:31:47 GMT, Larry Caldwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:


> >>The 1.7x telephoto extender won't give him a 17x zoom, it will just give
> >>him a 10x zoom with an apparently longer focal length. With the adapter
> >>mounted, he will lose his wide angle capability.


> Interesting, I too suspected that the total magnification would equal
> 17x. Ummm... what the hell is a 'longer focal length'? From semantics,
> I'm guessing that you wouldn't need to focus as often as you move
> toward or away from the target. But since the camera uses some kind of
> auto-focusing feature, that wouldn't seem to be of much help to me?


No, not 17x magnification. The 10x zoom means the longest focal length
is 10x as long as the shortest focal length. That is from moderately
wide angle to super telephoto, but the lens magnification runs from about
0.8x to about 8x. If you stick a 1.7x multiplier in front of that, you
get about 1.3x to 13x.

The focal length is exactly what it says - the distance behind the lens
that the image comes into focus. A short focal length is wide angle,
while a long focal length is a telephoto. A zoom lens can change its
focal length, while a fixed focal length lens can't. Focusing a lens
does not change its focal length, it just adjusts it to its focal length
so the image will be sharp. Zooming changes the focal length.

> > I really wish it had a sports finder
> >for action shots.


> Yeah! I found that out already trying to shoot flying model planes!
> Like shooting at an F16 with an AK47? You have to GUESS when to press
> the camera shutter (how much to lead the thing).


I'm thinking about tinkering up something that will attach to the tripod
mount and at least let me track a moving object in the center of the
frame.

> > However,
> >you should definitely get the CLS-4 and a polarizing filter.
> >


> Why come should I want to do that?


Polarizers let you control light reflection and scatter, and light
reflection and scatter is what your camera records.

> >You could also switch your resolution to 1024x768 and enable the digital
> >zoom. That will give you adequate resolution for a 4x6 print, and triple
> >the magnification of your ultra zoom.


> I'm already using 1024x768 cause that's the monitor resolution I use,
> and it gives me more shots - 70 something on a 16mb xdPicture card. I
> didn't realize that reducing the size of the pic would increase my
> magnification. I guess I need a camera school - or to haunt this
> newsgroup for a while.


Reducing the size of the pic doesn't give you more magnification, but it
keeps the digital zoom from doing damage to your photo. A digital zoom
will make a terrible mess out of a full resolution photo, because it is
blowing up a 1 megapixel image to 3 megapixels. You are better off to
just shoot at 1 megapixel, and let the digital zoom use real CCD data
instead of making up stuff. I shoot with the digital zoom disabled, but
if you prefer the lower resolution, there is no reason for you to keep it
turned off. That would give you almost 40x magnification without the
camera adding any crap.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
 
Reply With Quote
 
gr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
"Larry Caldwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
> The other option is those pathetic little 3x optical zooms, which aren't
> much better than a fixed focal length lens. That is your low end point
> and shoot market.


I'd say the low end P&S is the fixed focal length cameras. Why do you call
the 3x zooms "pathetic" and low-end? That range of focal length is pretty
standard for zooms, even for expensive lenses. (Granted, the quality of the
lens is reflected in the price.) The Olympus ultra-zooms are really about
the only digicams that offer zooms much more than 3x, but they're no more
"high-end" than similarly priced P&S's from other manufacturers.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Caldwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
(E-Mail Removed) (gr) writes:

> I'd say the low end P&S is the fixed focal length cameras. Why do you call
> the 3x zooms "pathetic" and low-end? That range of focal length is pretty
> standard for zooms, even for expensive lenses.


3x zooms were standard equipment 20 years ago, before CAE. A 3x zoom
today just means either the manufacturer wasn't willing to spend any
money on the lens, or they wanted to keep the camera shirt pocket size.
Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to be said for a camera that will slip
into a shirt pocket. If you are not carrying a camera, there is no way
you can get the shot, and one focal length beats hell out of none.

> (Granted, the quality of the
> lens is reflected in the price.) The Olympus ultra-zooms are really about
> the only digicams that offer zooms much more than 3x, but they're no more
> "high-end" than similarly priced P&S's from other manufacturers.


The competitive cameras are the 4 and 5 mp models with less glass
but extended digital zooms. Those are also high end for point and shoot
cameras. If you stay within the optical range of their lenses, they will
outperform the ultra zooms. If you need the extra focal length, they
don't do as well. In either case, your next step up is a digital SLR.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
 
Reply With Quote
 
Greg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
I'm using an Olympus C-750 with 10x optical and 4x digital zoom.
The optical zoom is very sharp right up to 10x and the digital zoom is OK up
to 2x.
10x optical and 4x digital requires a sturdy tripod and a very light touch
on the shutter button !
Overall I am very impressed with the camera.
Greg

"gr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgm21i$q1lp5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Larry Caldwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> >
> > The competitive cameras are the 4 and 5 mp models with less glass
> > but extended digital zooms. Those are also high end for point and shoot
> > cameras. If you stay within the optical range of their lenses, they

will
> > outperform the ultra zooms. If you need the extra focal length, they
> > don't do as well. In either case, your next step up is a digital SLR.

>
> I've never tried the ultra-zooms, but from what I've read, the picture
> quality is pretty good even at the long focal range. Surely, an optical

zoom
> at 9x has to be better than a 3x optical + 3x digital zoom (even if the
> digital zoom camera has an extra megapixel). I agree it's always better to
> get close than to zoom, but there are times when getting closer just isn't
> an option.
>
> Digital SLRs are not in the same price-range as P&S's, so they're not

really
> an option for most people. Most of the P&S market appears to be a

trade-off
> between compactness, zoom-range, and feature set.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Olympus D 490-Z won't turn on; common Olympus problem? Robert Oliver Digital Photography 9 02-05-2012 04:48 PM
As the "S/S Olympus 4/3rds" ship sinks, (Olympus abandoned it), thecrew get more violent! RichA Digital Photography 19 10-06-2010 03:25 PM
Olympus OM lens with a Olympus DSLR Peter Stacey Digital Photography 43 04-02-2007 09:35 PM
Olympus OM lenses to Olympus E-500 camera. Pvest Digital Photography 11 02-25-2006 07:43 PM
proprietary Li-ION battery for Olympus C-50. Should I buy non Olympus? Mr. Rather B. Beachen Digital Photography 3 07-11-2004 08:25 PM



Advertisments