Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Travel Camera

Reply
Thread Tools

Travel Camera

 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2003
Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.

thanks.

Richard
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Rubin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003
Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
> looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
> type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
> easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
> something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.


The Canon Digital Elphs are my favorite. I have the first of them
(the S100) and it's so great I've never felt a need to upgrade. But
each of the ones after it has improved on the earlier ones. The
current one is the S400 and is very popular.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Silvio Dante
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003
Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> staggered into the Bada Bing and slurred:

>Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
>looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
>type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
>easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
>something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.



I've found that it's just as easy to carry a larger camera (Olympus 5050
size) slung over my shoulder on a strap as it is to carry a pocket sized.

I put the strap over my left shoulder so the camera hangs 12 to 18 inches
under my right armpit, and wear a jacket or open shirt over it. You can
grab the camera and have it ready to shoot within 5 seconds by letting the
strap slide along your body. When you're done, slide the strap back over
and let the camera hang again. Your right arm will provide good protection.
I think the camera is even more protected like that than it is in a pocket.

When traveling, I keep my camera in a carry on bag until after I get
through security, then I hang it from my shoulder and wear it on the plane.
You can get good shots from the airplane window during takeoff and landing.

Like this one http://www.urbanphotos.net/images/lv..._las_vegas.jpg

I overdid the Photoshop editing (the color of the sky is totally fake) but
it still stands out in my memory as one of my most exciting photos.




"She's so fat, her blood type is Ragu."
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003
I also own a D7, which has been collecting dust, since I purchased an S400.
Great little P&S. It's with me all the time.
It uses CF cards, 3x zoom, 4mpixel.

Jeff.

"ZZ"@fake.not wrote:

> Me too Richard, my present camera is a D7i.
> Now I have a tiny Fuji F700 on order from Amazon.
> Gene http://www.photoprojects.net/fujif700.html
>
> Richard wrote:
>
>
>>Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
>>looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
>>type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
>>easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
>>something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.
>>
>>thanks.
>>
>>Richard

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
PTRAVEL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003

"Silvio Dante" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> staggered into the Bada Bing and slurred:
>
> >Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
> >looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
> >type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
> >easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
> >something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.

>
>
> I've found that it's just as easy to carry a larger camera (Olympus 5050
> size) slung over my shoulder on a strap as it is to carry a pocket sized.
>
> I put the strap over my left shoulder so the camera hangs 12 to 18 inches
> under my right armpit, and wear a jacket or open shirt over it. You can
> grab the camera and have it ready to shoot within 5 seconds by letting the
> strap slide along your body. When you're done, slide the strap back over
> and let the camera hang again. Your right arm will provide good

protection.
> I think the camera is even more protected like that than it is in a

pocket.
>
> When traveling, I keep my camera in a carry on bag until after I get
> through security, then I hang it from my shoulder and wear it on the

plane.
> You can get good shots from the airplane window during takeoff and

landing.
>
> Like this one http://www.urbanphotos.net/images/lv..._las_vegas.jpg


It's a very nice shot, but I've got to point out: on most international
flights, and all domestic US flights, use of electronic devices, which would
include digital cameras, is prohibited until the aircraft has reached 10,000
feet.

I agree with you, though, about carrying the camera slung over your
shoulder. I travel with both a video camera and a still camera (which will
now be a Canon 10d). I wear them "bandillero style," which lets me get to
either in a hurry. My camcorder is quite large -- definitely not a
"handicam" -- and the 10d is no light-weight either. However, carrying the
cameras in this way isn't at all burdensome, and I'm always ready to record
the moment.


>
> I overdid the Photoshop editing (the color of the sky is totally fake) but
> it still stands out in my memory as one of my most exciting photos.
>
>
>
>
> "She's so fat, her blood type is Ragu."



 
Reply With Quote
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003

"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
> looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
> type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
> easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
> something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.


Canon IXUS 400. 4MP, takes CF cards (Type I). As good as any ultracompacts
or even bigger ones. The drawback : no manual exposure mode ( ie, aperture
priority, shutter priority. Full program mode only) . But unlike other
ultracompacts, it has a good long exposure mode ( up to 15 seconds ).





 
Reply With Quote
 
Stefan Patric
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2003
On Saturday 02 August 2003 10:40 pm, Richard wrote:

> Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
> looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
> type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a
> pocket
> easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
> something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.


The Canon Digital Elphs come to mind. Several models: 2mp to 4mp.
All, except the SD100, take CF cards.

--
Stefan Patric
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Godfrey DiGiorgi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
For a CF card camera, grab one of the small Canons and a tabletop
tripod.

I have a lot of Memory Sticks so I grabbed a Konica KD500Z and a
tabletop tripod. I've been shooting a lot with it the past week or two
and am very pleased with its capabilities, even though it's an ISO 100
camera and that's it.

http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/26.htm
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/27.htm
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/28.htm
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/pho...f/PAW3/28a.htm
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/29.htm
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/pho...f/PAW3/29a.htm

Godfrey

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
> looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
> type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
> easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
> something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.
>
> thanks.
>
> Richard

 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Rubin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
Godfrey DiGiorgi <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I have a lot of Memory Sticks so I grabbed a Konica KD500Z and a


Does the Konica use memory sticks?!
 
Reply With Quote
 
J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
which table top tripod do you have?
I'm might get one

"Godfrey DiGiorgi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:030820031913038150%(E-Mail Removed)...
> For a CF card camera, grab one of the small Canons and a tabletop
> tripod.
>
> I have a lot of Memory Sticks so I grabbed a Konica KD500Z and a
> tabletop tripod. I've been shooting a lot with it the past week or two
> and am very pleased with its capabilities, even though it's an ISO 100
> camera and that's it.
>
> http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/26.htm
> http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/27.htm
> http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/28.htm
> http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/pho...f/PAW3/28a.htm
> http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/29.htm
> http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/pho...f/PAW3/29a.htm
>
> Godfrey
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Im planning a trip to the U.K. in Oct. I have a DiMage 7 but I 'm
> > looking for a small digital camera,kinda like a point and shoot
> > type.Something that takes decent pictures but will slip into a pocket
> > easily.Any suggestions? Since the D7 uses CF cards Id prefer
> > something thats also uses them,but I'm flexible.
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > Richard



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need New Travel Camera rhonda Digital Photography 4 08-04-2006 03:56 PM
Rugged Travel with Digital Camera and Laptop idalake@gmail.com Digital Photography 22 01-18-2005 04:50 PM
Travel site - travel data availability? VB Programmer ASP .Net 0 11-04-2004 02:50 AM
Need small, light camera for travel anne Digital Photography 7 09-01-2004 03:04 PM
Digital travel camera John Doe Digital Photography 11 01-31-2004 03:38 PM



Advertisments