Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Q about Canon 10D and Canon AE1 Lenses

Q about Canon 10D and Canon AE1 Lenses

Steven

Hello to all!

This may be an odd question but here goes...

I've been reading reviews about the Canon 10D. It looks good.

My question is:
Is there -any- possibility that lenses from an old mid-eighties Canon AE1
might, -might-, fit a Canon 10D.

I'm hopeful the answer could be yes.

I have to assume, 'no'.

Any responses are appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

-Steve

John Navas

In <%IEWa.31916$(E-Mail Removed) > on Sat, 02 Aug 2003
01:45:31 GMT, "Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello to all!
>
>This may be an odd question but here goes...
>
>I've been reading reviews about the Canon 10D. It looks good.
>
>My question is:
>Is there -any- possibility that lenses from an old mid-eighties Canon AE1
>might, -might-, fit a Canon 10D.
>
>I'm hopeful the answer could be yes.
>
>I have to assume, 'no'.

The answer is "no." Canon orphaned FD lenses, customers be damned.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

dslr

John Navas wrote:

> [POSTED TO rec.photo.digital - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <%IEWa.31916$(E-Mail Removed) > on Sat, 02 Aug 2003
> 01:45:31 GMT, "Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hello to all!
> >
> >This may be an odd question but here goes...
> >
> >I've been reading reviews about the Canon 10D. It looks good.
> >
> >My question is:
> >Is there -any- possibility that lenses from an old mid-eighties Canon AE1
> >might, -might-, fit a Canon 10D.
> >
> >I'm hopeful the answer could be yes.
> >
> >I have to assume, 'no'.

> The answer is "no." Canon orphaned FD lenses, customers be damned.

The answer is "maybe" - if you can get your hands on an FD-EOS adapter.
Several types were made, some resulting in loss of infinity focus,
others being effectively a short teleconverter. You'll be having to use
stop-down metering (or aperture priority) and manual focus with any of
them

--
regards,
dslr

Paul Repacholi

John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> The answer is "no." Canon orphaned FD lenses, customers be damned.

Yes. There are 2 Canon FD-EF adapters, and a 3rd party one. The 3rd
party one is probably the only one you can get nowdays.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (0 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

BPR2

There is an FD Lens to EOS body adaptor available.
I've never used one, or seen one being used ... you should investigate a bit
before buying.

Here is a link to one at B & H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh1.sph/...tActivator__Ap
roductlist_html___97534___GBCACAFC___REG___CatID=4 18___SID=F6FAF1602B0

If the Link doesn't work for you select:

Home < Cameras & Photo Gear < 35mm Systems < Body & Lens Accessories < Lens
Accessories < Lens to Body Adapters

and you should be able to find it.

From BPR
"Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%IEWa.31916$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Hello to all!
>
> This may be an odd question but here goes...
>
> I've been reading reviews about the Canon 10D. It looks good.
>
> My question is:
> Is there -any- possibility that lenses from an old mid-eighties Canon AE1
> might, -might-, fit a Canon 10D.
>
> I'm hopeful the answer could be yes.
>
> I have to assume, 'no'.
>
> Any responses are appreciated.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> -Steve

John Navas

In <(E-Mail Removed)> on Sat, 2 Aug 2003 07:28:29 +0000
(UTC), dslr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>>
>> In <%IEWa.31916$(E-Mail Removed) > on Sat, 02 Aug 2003
>> 01:45:31 GMT, "Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello to all!
>> >
>> >This may be an odd question but here goes...
>> >
>> >I've been reading reviews about the Canon 10D. It looks good.
>> >
>> >My question is:
>> >Is there -any- possibility that lenses from an old mid-eighties Canon AE1
>> >might, -might-, fit a Canon 10D.
>> >
>> >I'm hopeful the answer could be yes.
>> >
>> >I have to assume, 'no'.

>> The answer is "no." Canon orphaned FD lenses, customers be damned.

>The answer is "maybe" - if you can get your hands on an FD-EOS adapter.
>Several types were made, some resulting in loss of infinity focus,
>others being effectively a short teleconverter. You'll be having to use
>stop-down metering (or aperture priority) and manual focus with any of
>them

That's a joke, right?

--
Best regards,
John Navas

PhotoPhreak514 PhotoPhreak514 is offline
Junior Member
Location: Raleigh, NC

Steve. Here you go. I am in the same Dilemma. I just purchased a Canon Rebel and i have a lot of nice lenses for my AE-1. Now i'm SOL and dont want to drop $1,000 into 2 or 3 lenses. So i have been looking around and found an Adapter.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lens-Adapter-New...QQcmdZViewItem

That is a link to 19 FD to EOS (Auto Focus) Adapters. They are inexpensive, considering you are going to pay around $300 per lens. I was reading another forum where this guy made his own adapter and he said the old lenses work great, it just has to be pretty bright.