Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: What are the odds of getting a bad 10D?

Re: What are the odds of getting a bad 10D?

Charles Schuler

"Patrick L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VtvWa.128408$(E-Mail Removed) arthlink.net...
> Per this article, which states that some 10Ds have focusing problems.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5709315
>
> What are the odds of getting one of these bad ones (in America, if that
> makes a difference)?

Thanks for posting this. I read the article and have read other items on
this issue. Makes one wonder if certain cameras are defective or if there
is a design issue with 10Ds. After all, auto focusing is a bit of a black
art.

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> "Patrick L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VtvWa.128408$(E-Mail Removed) arthlink.net...
> > Per this article, which states that some 10Ds have focusing problems.
> >
> > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5709315
> >
> > What are the odds of getting one of these bad ones (in America, if that
> > makes a difference)?

> Thanks for posting this. I read the article and have read other items on
> this issue. Makes one wonder if certain cameras are defective or if there
> is a design issue with 10Ds. After all, auto focusing is a bit of a black
> art.

The focus "problems" on the 10D have been blown *WAY* out of proportion
IMHO. Personally I think it's a bunch of people who don't know how to
use their cameras. I do think that a very small number of 10D's may have
a focus problem but the attention that has been brought to it has caused
many others to say "yeah, mine does that too!" One thing that I noticed
right off when I started using my 10D (day before yesterday that is,) is
that the larger sensor compared to "consumer" point and shoot digitals
has a significant effect on depth of field. At anything around f/2.8 and
larger, focus is critical because of the limited DOF. When using a
digital with a smaller sensor, focus isn't as critical because they have
much larger DOF.

If you want the 10D, get it. It is an amazing camera and you'll be in
heaven

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Charles Schuler

> The focus "problems" on the 10D have been blown *WAY* out of proportion
> IMHO. Personally I think it's a bunch of people who don't know how to
> use their cameras. I do think that a very small number of 10D's may have
> a focus problem but the attention that has been brought to it has caused
> many others to say "yeah, mine does that too!" One thing that I noticed
> right off when I started using my 10D (day before yesterday that is,) is
> that the larger sensor compared to "consumer" point and shoot digitals
> has a significant effect on depth of field. At anything around f/2.8 and
> larger, focus is critical because of the limited DOF. When using a
> digital with a smaller sensor, focus isn't as critical because they have
> much larger DOF.

I agree. We all take fuzzy pictures from time to time and as humans we like
to blame someone else. Enjoy your 10D ... it looks like one heck of a good
camera.

Alan F Cross

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Charles Schuler
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>> The focus "problems" on the 10D have been blown *WAY* out of proportion
>> IMHO. Personally I think it's a bunch of people who don't know how to
>> use their cameras. I do think that a very small number of 10D's may have
>> a focus problem but the attention that has been brought to it has caused
>> many others to say "yeah, mine does that too!" One thing that I noticed
>> right off when I started using my 10D (day before yesterday that is,) is
>> that the larger sensor compared to "consumer" point and shoot digitals
>> has a significant effect on depth of field. At anything around f/2.8 and
>> larger, focus is critical because of the limited DOF. When using a
>> digital with a smaller sensor, focus isn't as critical because they have
>> much larger DOF.

>I agree. We all take fuzzy pictures from time to time and as humans we like
>to blame someone else. Enjoy your 10D ... it looks like one heck of a good
>camera.

If it's a user problem, how come Canon have admitted to it as a
hardware/firmware problem, and are fixing cameras when returned?

I suspect that there's no intrinsic problem with the hardware/firmware.
It's more likely that their test parameters when calibrating the cameras
just before they leave the factory were a little slack. I suspect this
has now been tightened up, and cameras delivered now should be OK. I'm
hoping!
--
Alan F Cross