Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photoshop Elements 2.0 --- crippled 8 bit?

Photoshop Elements 2.0 --- crippled 8 bit?

Alan Browne

Is photoshop elements capable of 16 bit image manipulation? There is
nothing I can find on the Adobe site.

It comes "free" with the Minolta 5400 (16 bit) scanner...

but if I have to buy PS 7.0 then that's another $600.

Thanks,
Cheers,
Alan

Roland Karlsson

Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3F2A79B7.2080204
@videotron.ca:

> but if I have to buy PS 7.0 then that's another $600.

I don't know about PS 7.0, but if it is like 5.5 then
I find PS being crippled for 16 bit also. Most of the
functions just stop working at 16 bit. Annoying in this
days of good digital cameras.

Roland

HRosita

>Alan Browne wrote:

>Is photoshop elements capable of 16 bit image manipulation?

And the answer is NO. I used the import command, and in the TWAIN software of
my Epson 1240U set the bit depth to 42. Normal RGB is 24, one bit for each
color.
Elements displayed the following message:
"This document is in unsupported mode and will be converted"
Rosita

Bill Hilton

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita)

>I used the import command, and in the TWAIN software of
>my Epson 1240U set the bit depth to 42. Normal RGB is 24, one bit for each
>color.

What does "Normal RGB is 24, one bit for each color" mean?

Maybe you meant one byte for each channel?

Steve Hoffmann

"Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is photoshop elements capable of 16 bit image manipulation? There is
> nothing I can find on the Adobe site.
>
> It comes "free" with the Minolta 5400 (16 bit) scanner...
>
> but if I have to buy PS 7.0 then that's another $600.
>
> Thanks,
> Cheers,
> Alan

Last time I checked the only sub $100 program that works with 48 bit color
with the same functionality as Photoshop is Ulead's PhotoImpact.
http://www.ulead.com

Cheers, Steve