Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > For Sale - Olympus C-5050

Reply
Thread Tools

For Sale - Olympus C-5050

 
 
Webkatz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2003
FYI - Right now Amazon has a pretty good deal on the C-5050
(http://tinyurl.com/iqbq) for $597.94 plus rebates on printers and
either a free 32MB XD card or $20 discount on larger cards. The best
price I could find locally was $700 with no discounts/rebates.

I thought it was a good enough deal that I got one. The nice thing is
they shipped it ahead of us to the place we'll be vacationing at for
$20. It'll be waiting for us when we get there.

A couple of questions:
AIR, the XD card is the new version of the SmartMedia card. So will
the cmaera take both XD and SM? Since the camera will take also take
CompactFlash, I would like to add a 256 or 512 CF card soon. Any
recommendation on brands/dealers?

TIA,

Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jimmy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2003

"Webkatz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

> A couple of questions:
> AIR, the XD card is the new version of the SmartMedia card. So will
> the cmaera take both XD and SM? Since the camera will take also take
> CompactFlash, I would like to add a 256 or 512 CF card soon. Any
> recommendation on brands/dealers?
>
> TIA,
>
> Dave


I would go with a CF at this time. Pricing, card availability, size availability, reader
availability and reader costs are usually better for CF than for xD. Plus, you can leave the xD
that comes with the camera in while using a CF (xD/SM/SD use a common slot). Since you are looking
to purchase additional cards, I suggest you go with (2) 256 MB cards rather than one 512 MB card .
If you have only the one card and it goes bad you are sh-- out-of-luck until you can get it
replaced.

Batteries were not mentioned, but you should have at least a couple of sets in reserve and a good
charger. I usually have a set in the charger, a set in the camera, and a set in my pocket and still
find this isn't enough power at hand sometimes. The Oly charger that comes with the camera is okay,
but look for better faster chargers and higher capacity batteries. I suggest taking a look at the
MH-C401FS charger http://www.thomas-distributing.com/charger_kits.htm It can shorten the charging
time down to 100 minutes rather than several hours.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the vacation!



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Webkatz) wrote:

> AIR, the XD card is the new version of the SmartMedia card. So will
> the cmaera take both XD and SM? Since the camera will take also take
> CompactFlash, I would like to add a 256 or 512 CF card soon. Any
> recommendation on brands/dealers?


Not a new version of SM. Totally different and requires a different
slot/reader. The XD is less than 1/2 the size of SM.

The 5050 has slots for XD, SM and CF.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA
 
Reply With Quote
 
Polytone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2003
Buy it for $524 from Buydig.com!


"Webkatz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> FYI - Right now Amazon has a pretty good deal on the C-5050
> (http://tinyurl.com/iqbq) for $597.94 plus rebates on printers and
> either a free 32MB XD card or $20 discount on larger cards. The best
> price I could find locally was $700 with no discounts/rebates.
>
> I thought it was a good enough deal that I got one. The nice thing is
> they shipped it ahead of us to the place we'll be vacationing at for
> $20. It'll be waiting for us when we get there.
>
> A couple of questions:
> AIR, the XD card is the new version of the SmartMedia card. So will
> the cmaera take both XD and SM? Since the camera will take also take
> CompactFlash, I would like to add a 256 or 512 CF card soon. Any
> recommendation on brands/dealers?
>
> TIA,
>
> Dave



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jimmy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2003

"Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KlwWa.122099$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> that comes with the camera in while using a CF (xD/SM/SD use a common slot).


Sorry, I should not have included SM.


 
Reply With Quote
 
WebKatz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
Just got back and wanted to say that the camera performed great over the
weekend. I'll have to download the manual, becuase I have a ton of
quesitions that the hard-copy documentation doesn't seem to cover.All in
all - easy to use, great LCD, nice results.

Dave


 
Reply With Quote
 
WebKatz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-05-2003

"Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%LEXa.141340$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
> "WebKatz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just got back and wanted to say that the camera performed great over the
> > weekend. I'll have to download the manual, becuase I have a ton of
> > quesitions that the hard-copy documentation doesn't seem to cover.All in
> > all - easy to use, great LCD, nice results.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> The full manual is also on the installation disk that came with the

camera.
>
>

Thanks - so far I'd just plugged to camera into the USB and it was
recognized right away. I hadn't even looked at the install disk yet.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Find a Camcorder Bag on Sale - Camcorder Bags on Sale syipv5cnduziklmcnh3e@gmail.com Digital Photography 0 03-16-2008 03:04 AM
Affiliate Program that pays 55% per sale! Thats $36.85 for every sale you make! jonclem45@gmail.com HTML 0 03-13-2006 06:06 PM
AD: Ultra-Sharpen 7.0 Pro On Sale - Sale Ends 9/30/05 J. A. Mc. Digital Photography 39 09-09-2005 12:28 AM
AD: Ultra-Sharpen 7.0 Pro On Sale - Sale Ends 9/30/05 Ultra-Sharpen Digital Photography 0 09-06-2005 09:16 PM
For sale: Olympus D-560 Z Lord Elohim Digital Photography 5 11-25-2003 06:05 PM



Advertisments