Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > How widely used is the IEEE numeric_std package?

How widely used is the IEEE numeric_std package?

Chuck Roth

We are working on a second edition of "Digital Systems Design Using VHDL".
The present edition uses the std_logic_arith or std_logic_unsigned
package for arithmetic operations. We are debating whether to switch to
numeric_std for some of the examples in the textbook. Our question is: How
widely used is the numeric_std package in practice?

-- Charles H. Roth, UT Austin

Mike Treseler

Chuck Roth wrote:
> We are working on a second edition of "Digital Systems Design Using VHDL".
> The present edition uses the std_logic_arith or std_logic_unsigned
> package for arithmetic operations. We are debating whether to switch to
> numeric_std for some of the examples in the textbook.

You should consider changing all of the examples.
I'll even check them for you.

> Our question is: How
> widely used is the numeric_std package in practice?

Most of the readers of this newsgroup are
advocates of ieee.numeric_std.
Count these up and see what you get:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=vh...td_logic_arith

-- Mike Treseler

Thomas Entner

"Mike Treseler" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chuck Roth wrote:
>> We are working on a second edition of "Digital Systems Design Using
>> VHDL". The present edition uses the std_logic_arith or
>> std_logic_unsigned package for arithmetic operations. We are debating
>> whether to switch to numeric_std for some of the examples in the
>> textbook.

> You should consider changing all of the examples.
> I'll even check them for you.
>
>> Our question is: How widely used is the numeric_std package in practice?

> Most of the readers of this newsgroup are
> advocates of ieee.numeric_std.

FULL ACK

Jim Lewis

Chuck,
I would add that the VHDL standards groups are doing things
to compel you to move in this direction.

The plan for VHDL-2006 is for std_logic_1164 and numeric_std
to be included as part of 1076. Another part of the plan is to
expand what is locally static to allow array operations.
Combine both of these and array operations (from std.standard,
std_logic_1164, and numeric_std) within a case statement
will be permitted.

While this does not prevent people from using std_logic_arith,
std_logic_arith is not an IEEE standard and hence operations
in this package will not be locally static.

Best Regards,
Jim Lewis

P.S.
Current plans for vhdl-2006 is to include a new package
called numeric_std_unsigned.

> We are working on a second edition of "Digital Systems Design Using VHDL".
> The present edition uses the std_logic_arith or std_logic_unsigned
> package for arithmetic operations. We are debating whether to switch to
> numeric_std for some of the examples in the textbook. Our question is: How
> widely used is the numeric_std package in practice?
>
> -- Charles H. Roth, UT Austin

Jim Lewis
Director of Training (E-Mail Removed)
1-503-590-4787

ieee.numeric_std? Weng Tianxiang VHDL 24 07-23-2009 09:48 AM
How Do Perform STD_LOGIC_VECTOR Addition Using IEEE.NUMERIC_STD? Chris VHDL 10 06-29-2007 10:03 PM
Division with ieee.numeric_std Gabriel Schuster VHDL 5 09-22-2006 04:14 PM
Keystroke saving w/ IEEE.Numeric_Std JustJohn VHDL 6 03-29-2006 05:21 PM
about use ieee.numeric_std.all lezah VHDL 2 02-06-2004 05:52 PM

Advertisments