Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Wouldn't it be cool if ...

Re: Wouldn't it be cool if ...

Randall Ainsworth

> ... digital SLRs could detect whether a tripod was being used, and write
> the fact to the EXIF file?

And this would serve what useful purpose?

It's like the people who record shutter speed & f/stop settings. What
do I give a ****? It's not useful unless I was standing next to them
when they took the shot.

Randall Ainsworth

> Why bash somebody for daring to float a new idea? You want your money
> back?
> Lighten up!!

What useful purpose would this information serve? What useful purpose
does most of the EXIF information serve? What do I care what setting
you used to take a picture? It does me no good unless I was standing
next to you when you took it.
Jeez...quit reading Popular Photography.

Andrew McDonald

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
>>Why bash somebody for daring to float a new idea? You want your money
>>back?
>>Lighten up!!

> What useful purpose would this information serve? What useful purpose
> does most of the EXIF information serve? What do I care what setting
> you used to take a picture? It does me no good unless I was standing
> next to you when you took it.
> Jeez...quit reading Popular Photography.

Calm down already. This is your second rant about EXIF info. I think
it's absolutely wonderful to have the date and time stamped in the image
file. I am in the middle of scanning about 10,000 negatives from the
last 30 years and it sure would be nice to know when some of these were
taken.

The exposure info is also convenient if you plan on LEARNING ANYTHING
from the pictures you have taken.

If you don't like EXIF info that's fine. But you don't need to attack
it like it's an evil that should be destroyed. Some of us actually use it.

I agree that a tripod sensor is a silly idea. The ONLY use I can think
of is that some cameras in program mode could take advantage of the info
to use a slower shutter speed, knowing that camera shake was no longer
an issue. But since I hardly every use program mode when I am using a
tripod it would not be meaningful to me.

Browntimdc

Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:310720031010300634%(E-Mail Removed):

>> Why bash somebody for daring to float a new idea? You want your money
>> back?
>> Lighten up!!

> What useful purpose would this information serve? What useful purpose
> does most of the EXIF information serve? What do I care what setting
> you used to take a picture? It does me no good unless I was standing
> next to you when you took it.
> Jeez...quit reading Popular Photography.

You totally and utterly miss my point. Not every new or different idea is
useful or even good. People in you attitude result in these forums being
75% dogma and boring repetition of the obvious. DOn't discourage free
thinkers. FDR admittied back during the depression that it was time to
try new things, if they don't work then move on. You shouldn't insult
someone because their idea isn't your cup of tea.

Tim

Browntimdc

Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:310720031152550783%(E-Mail Removed):

> I can see the date maybe, but the other information is useless. You
> look at the info on one of my pictures and see that it was taken at
> 1/125 @ f/11. So what? You weren't standing next to me when I took
> it.

Some film photographers carefully make notes about exposure and shooting
conditions [I'm too lazy to do that] and refer to their notes as a
learning aid.

> This has been a pet peeve of mine for years. You look in the
> amateur
> mags and they're full of this useless information.

You sound like a closed minded old codger.

Tim

Godfrey DiGiorgi

Knowing the ISO speed, aperture and shutter speed, focal length and
focus setting gives a lot of useful information that can be used if you
encounter a picture taking situation of a similar nature. This
information *is* actually useful to a lot of people trying to learn
about photography.

Date and time are useful for your archiving purposes, they are of
secondary value to others unless they are archivists looking for the
date of a photograph.

There are some other bits of the EXIF information that might be useful
if you're debugging a particular camera or whatever, but most is not
useful to other people.

Knowing whether you used a tripod might be useful to you, the
photographer, in assessing whether you need to think more carefully
about using a tripod more frequently, but I can't see much other use
for that particular piece of information.

Godfrey

In article <310720030753220134%(E-Mail Removed)>, Randall
Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > ... digital SLRs could detect whether a tripod was being used, and write
> > the fact to the EXIF file?

> And this would serve what useful purpose?
>
> It's like the people who record shutter speed & f/stop settings. What
> do I give a ****? It's not useful unless I was standing next to them
> when they took the shot.

Randall Ainsworth

> You sound like a closed minded old codger.

BINGO!

Randall Ainsworth

> I still don't understand why this information is usless unless "you were
> standing next to me". If I see a great picture of a sunset in a
> magazine and I know the exposure info it gives me a starting point when
> I want to try it myself. If I try some pictures and they don't come out
> (too dark, too light) I have a starting point for the next time.

I've done photography for long enough that I usually don't need a
light meter. (It ain't braggin' if you can do it)

Alan Browne

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
>>... digital SLRs could detect whether a tripod was being used, and write
>>the fact to the EXIF file?

> And this would serve what useful purpose?
>
> It's like the people who record shutter speed & f/stop settings. What
> do I give a ****? It's not useful unless I was standing next to them
> when they took the shot.

these things are useful when learning photography or testing new films.
But I'm happy to write them down.

Alan

Magus

Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:310720031152550783%(E-Mail Removed):

> This has been a pet peeve of mine for years.

And dont we know it...

Its useful to people who have a reason to want to know it.
Whether they 'stood next to you or not'.

Accept that not everybody need thinks like you? - which seems like a good
thing to me.