Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Any downside to using a 1gig CF card?

Any downside to using a 1gig CF card?

Robert Desel

I have a D100 and am using a 1gig CF card.

I find that I rarely even come close to using its capacity.

I am wondering if I am giving anything up like speed and should switch to
standard CF memory card.

THoughts?

Mike

The only downside I have heard is that it is a rotating disk and therefore
uses more power and is probably more prone to failure than a solid state
device.

Mike
"Robert Desel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a D100 and am using a 1gig CF card.
>
> I find that I rarely even come close to using its capacity.
>
> I am wondering if I am giving anything up like speed and should switch to
> standard CF memory card.
>
> THoughts?

Mikey

Your thinking of the disk type, but I suspect he was referring to an actual
1 gig CF solid state card, they finally are down to affordable prices.
The only drawback I can see would be if it failed, you potentially would
lose a lot of pictures on one big card compared to say 4 X 256 meg cards, if
one of those failed you would lose 1/4 of them.
CF cards are pretty darn reliable though, I wouldn't worry about it.

--

Mikey
http://www.mike721.com

news:Tp8Wa.25508$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The only downside I have heard is that it is a rotating disk and therefore
> uses more power and is probably more prone to failure than a solid state
> device.
>
> Mike
> "Robert Desel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a D100 and am using a 1gig CF card.
> >
> > I find that I rarely even come close to using its capacity.
> >
> > I am wondering if I am giving anything up like speed and should switch

> > standard CF memory card.
> >
> > THoughts?

Robert Desel

No I was referring to the micro-drive type.
I dont ever keep that many pics on it...I xfer them to my PC regularly.

"Mikey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Your thinking of the disk type, but I suspect he was referring to an

actual
> 1 gig CF solid state card, they finally are down to affordable prices.
> The only drawback I can see would be if it failed, you potentially would
> lose a lot of pictures on one big card compared to say 4 X 256 meg cards,

if
> one of those failed you would lose 1/4 of them.
> CF cards are pretty darn reliable though, I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> --
>
> Mikey
> http://www.mike721.com

> news:Tp8Wa.25508$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The only downside I have heard is that it is a rotating disk and

therefore
> > uses more power and is probably more prone to failure than a solid state
> > device.
> >
> > Mike
> > "Robert Desel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have a D100 and am using a 1gig CF card.
> > >
> > > I find that I rarely even come close to using its capacity.
> > >
> > > I am wondering if I am giving anything up like speed and should switch

> > > standard CF memory card.
> > >
> > > THoughts?

Bill Hilton

>From: "Mike" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>The only downside I have heard is that it is a rotating disk and therefore
>uses more power and is probably more prone to failure than a solid state
>device.

You're thinking of the "microdrive" like the one by IBM.

Randall Ainsworth

> I have a D100 and am using a 1gig CF card.

I considered a microdrive when I got my camera but went with solid
state memory. I've worked with hard drives enough to know that they're
born to die from the moment they're first turned on. It just seemed
too risky to me.

Bertrand Collet

Hello,

> I am wondering if I am giving anything up like speed and should switch to
> standard CF memory card.

I also use a 1Gb CF card, the advantage being the capacity but also the fact
that you insert once for good in the camera and never handle it again,
preventing any potential failures due to insertion/removal of smaller CF
cards.

Bertrand

Ron

Robert Desel wrote:

> I have a D100 and am using a 1gig CF card.
>
> I find that I rarely even come close to using its capacity.
>
> I am wondering if I am giving anything up like speed and should switch to
> standard CF memory card.
>
> THoughts?

ONe should expect that a 1G card would be one of the faster types (but
not necessarily), but smaller ones can also be fast. Unless you are
worried about losing too much in a flash crash, stick with the 1G card,
you never know when you may want to snap a lot of shots in a hurry.

Jason O'Rourke

Robert Desel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>No I was referring to the micro-drive type.
>I dont ever keep that many pics on it...I xfer them to my PC regularly.

The clarification was good, because as written, you were clearly referring
to the card, not the microdrive.

Power consumption is higher, though DSLR users report little difference
in battery life using it. Not sure if the spin up time matters, but I
wonder how often it spins up and down with a DSLR as opposed to a digicam
where it likely stays on continuously.

Read/write performance is solid. Reliability is less. But since you
already have it, no compelling reason yet to move on.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Scott Ranger

I have both a 1 gig microdrive and a 1 gig compact flash. I don't notice any
significant difference in either battery use or write speed with my Canon
10D. I used both in Africa in June (and along with a borrowed 1 gig CF card
filled them all up!) and never once had a concern for any of them. The
microdrive is more fragile, but I try to take care of all my stuff. All
other things, being equal, what I buy now are CF cards. I've had the
microdrive for several years.

Scott Ranger