Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how to rip out/delete EXIF data from picture file

how to rip out/delete EXIF data from picture file

Andrew McDonald

S f S wrote:
> In article <UK9Wa.551$(E-Mail Removed) >, Andrew McDonald
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>Wow. So you take a compression hit on the file just to get rid of the
>>EXIF info? There are better ways.

> What R the other ways please?

There is Exif Utils at http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/

Or Exifer at http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

Exif Utils is a command line utility which can be a bit intimidating and
it costs $14.95.

Exifer is free and would probably do exactly what you want, modifying a
couple pictures.

Patrick L.

Andrew McDonald <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fCsWa.1542$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> S f S wrote:
> > In article <UK9Wa.551$(E-Mail Removed) >, Andrew

McDonald
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >

> >>Wow. So you take a compression hit on the file just to get rid of the
> >>EXIF info? There are better ways.

> > What R the other ways please?

> There is Exif Utils at http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/
>
> Or Exifer at http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
>
> Exif Utils is a command line utility which can be a bit intimidating and
> it costs $14.95.
>
> Exifer is free and would probably do exactly what you want, modifying a
> couple pictures.

The PSP shortcut, which you refer as to an unnecessary recompress, when
setting the "save as" feature to zero compression, does not reduce the file
size by any significant amount, I sincerely doubt you can tell the
difference, and for her purpose, I sincerely doubt the matter is so
critical. Also, the jpeg can be converted to a .tiff, and back to a jpeg
without loss, and the exif data will be removed.

Patrick

Andrew McDonald

Patrick L. wrote:
> The PSP shortcut, which you refer as to an unnecessary recompress, when
> setting the "save as" feature to zero compression, does not reduce the file
> size by any significant amount, I sincerely doubt you can tell the
> difference, and for her purpose, I sincerely doubt the matter is so
> critical. Also, the jpeg can be converted to a .tiff, and back to a jpeg
> without loss, and the exif data will be removed.

I disagree compeletely. First of all, the supposed reason for the
removal of the EXIF info is to compare the quality from two different
cameras. Therefore any alteration of the original image could make the
comparison invalid.

Secondly, even set to "zero" compress you are STILL RECOMPRESSING THE
FILE. It's not the file size that's important. With the right
compression settings I can actually make the saved file BIGGER than the
original file but that does not mean the quality is the same or better.

As for saving to TIFF and back to JPG you will take a hit on the
compression, PERIOD. Every time you save a file using JPG you cause
that file to be recompressed.

Gene Wilburn

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)USSAN (S f S) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> How do I get rid of data embeded in a JPG file? I see this picture my cousin
> took with his Sony CYBERSHOT actualy tells you which camera and much more info.
> How do I just delete the EXIF and other info about the picture or any digital
> picture???

In Photoshop use Save For Web. This strips out all the metadata.
Irfanview can do this also using Save As and checking off metadata on
the advanced options.

S f S

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , (E-Mail Removed)
(Gene Wilburn) writes:

>In Photoshop use Save For Web. This strips out all the metadata.
>Irfanview can do this also using Save As and checking off metadata on
>the advanced options.

Thanks!

Cheeers,
Sussan
You may Email me taking off my name from my Email address in the header of
this posted message.

graFXguy graFXguy is offline
Junior Member

Easy, I use this little freeware app:

Easy Exif Delete (easyexfidelete.com)

Just search on Google or Download

Photozaur Photozaur is offline
Junior Member

The EXIFCleaner batch utility for Windows is also very good for this purpose. You can download it at: superutils.com/products/exifcleaner/ It lets to selectively delete EXIF as well as other photo metadata.