Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 10D battery question

Canon 10D battery question

Jim

What kind of battery life can one expect from the 10D?
Should I have extra batteries on hand?

Jim

ralford

let me see if I understand this ongoing thread on the D10 battery... someone
claims to be buying a $1500 camera body, some $350-$6000 in lenses and they
are puzzled about whether they need to spend $50 for a spare battery???

me thinks most are just bored window shoppers. otoh this is the internet
where no one knows if the dog has control of the keyboard <G>

rma

"Alan F Cross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1LASlrPJfDK$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jim
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >What kind of battery life can one expect from the 10D?
> >Should I have extra batteries on hand?
> >
> >Jim

> Since you (an avid photographer?) will always want to be in a position
> to take pictures, two batteries is a minimum. One in use, the other dead
> or on charge.
>
> I've bought my second battery already, and I haven't even received my
> 10D yet!!
> --
> Alan F Cross

Jim Townsend

Don Coon wrote:

> Well, think of it like this: I'll take my $35,000 automobile to the place
> that does $25 LOFs rather than the rip-off $35 joint -- assuming comparable
> service quality. Maybe that's why, over the years, I've been able to
> purchase the $1500 camera body, $35,000 car and some $350 - $2000 (but NOT
> $6000) lenses.

I guess there's the odd Rolls Royce with Pep Boy tires

Instead of spending $35,000, why not buy a $25,000 car then use the savings to
buy a $1500 dollar camera body and have $8500 for lenses or at least 340 LOF's
(@ 25 bucks each)

(What IS a LOF anyway) ?

Lionel

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:17:08 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)>
said:

>Instead of spending $35,000, why not buy a $25,000 car then use the savings to
>buy a $1500 dollar camera body and have $8500 for lenses or at least 340 LOF's
>(@ 25 bucks each)
>
>(What IS a LOF anyway) ?

'Length Of Field', perhaps?

(Yes, of course I'm kidding.

Don Coon

"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bgalf1$v8q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:17:08 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)>
> said:
>
> >Instead of spending $35,000, why not buy a $25,000 car then use the

savings to
> >buy a $1500 dollar camera body and have $8500 for lenses or at least 340

LOF's
> >(@ 25 bucks each)
> >
> >(What IS a LOF anyway) ?

> 'Length Of Field', perhaps?
>

> (Yes, of course I'm kidding.

Or "Lots Of Fun" or "Lots Of Fotography"

Todd Walker

In article <eP8Wa.28641$Ho3.5148@sccrnsc03>,
coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com says...
> Quite frankly, I'm amused at how much many people are willing to spend on
> glass --- unless that's how they make all or part of their living. But I
> certainly don't criticize them for their choices.
>
> Different strokes for different folks : )

Well put Don. My thoughts exactly. Although that 70-200 f/4L is calling
my name Of course if I were glass obsessed, I would go for the 70-
200 f/2.8L IS...

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Don Coon

"Todd Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <eP8Wa.28641$Ho3.5148@sccrnsc03>,
> coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com says...
> > Quite frankly, I'm amused at how much many people are willing to spend

on
> > glass --- unless that's how they make all or part of their living. But I
> > certainly don't criticize them for their choices.
> >
> > Different strokes for different folks : )
> >

> Well put Don. My thoughts exactly. Although that 70-200 f/4L is calling
> my name Of course if I were glass obsessed, I would go for the 70-
> 200 f/2.8L IS...

Unfortunately, lots of L lenses are calling my name : ) In time I'm sure
I'll pop for just the right L lens at just the right time and price. Right
now the 28-135mm IS USM and 50mm f/1.8 II do a marvelous job for me and I
get many excellent shots with my $110 75-300mm non-USM although CA is
sometimes a problem. I'm pretty sure that will be my first replacement.

> --
> ________________________________
> Todd Walker
> http://twalker.d2g.com
> Canon 10D
> My Digital Photography Weblog:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
> _________________________________

Jim Townsend

Don Coon wrote:

> "Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Don Coon wrote:
>>
>> > Well, think of it like this: I'll take my $35,000 automobile to the

> place
>> > that does $25 LOFs rather than the rip-off $35 joint -- assuming

> comparable
>> > service quality. Maybe that's why, over the years, I've been able to
>> > purchase the $1500 camera body, $35,000 car and some $350 - $2000 (but

> NOT
>> > $6000) lenses.
>> >

>> I guess there's the odd Rolls Royce with Pep Boy tires
>>
>> Instead of spending $35,000, why not buy a $25,000 car then use the

> savings to
>> buy a $1500 dollar camera body and have $8500 for lenses or at least 340

> LOF's
>> (@ 25 bucks each)
>>
>> (What IS a LOF anyway) ?

> LOF = Lube/Oil/Filter

Figured it was something like that, but couldn't put words to letters

> Take the $35,000 car for example: individuals can spend anywhere from next
> to nothing to well over $100,000 for a vehicle that performs the same basic
> function albeit at different comfort and ego levels. To each his/her own.
> I don't fault others people's choice re how they spend their money. In most
> cases they earned it and it's their decision how to spend it.

OK.. we agree here. To each their own.

MJ@MJ.com

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:22:36 -0700, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What kind of battery life can one expect from the 10D?
>Should I have extra batteries on hand?
>
>Jim

To get away from all the lifestyle comments here and give some
practical experience, I've just used mine non-stop for 8 days in Hong
Kong. The heaviest day's use saw me fill a 512mb card and much of a
256 one, at max jpg quality, 8 sec review on each picture and no
flash. Maybe around 370 pics. At the end of the day the battery
indication was still showing full. I've got a couple of cheap
batteries just in case, and I guess I'll use them all in rotation.

MJ

Peter Wallis

i never used to worry about f stops......but a 2.8 lens shits on a f4
lens....i saw the light........even though my budget does not agree i conned
the bank to give me a loan....well worth the trouble...
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Todd> In article <eP8Wa.28641$Ho3.5148@sccrnsc03>,
> Todd> coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com says...
> >> Quite frankly, I'm amused at how much many people are willing to

spend on
> >> glass --- unless that's how they make all or part of their living.

But I
> >> certainly don't criticize them for their choices.
> >>
> >> Different strokes for different folks : )
> >>

> Todd> Well put Don. My thoughts exactly. Although that 70-200 f/4L is

calling
> Todd> my name Of course if I were glass obsessed, I would go for

the 70-