Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon TC-E15ED for 5700

Nikon TC-E15ED for 5700

The Muffin Man

I'm considering purchasing this telephoto lens for my 5700 and would
like to hear(read) some reviews of it. So if anyone has it please let
me know what you think of it. Thanks

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:00:15 GMT, in rec.photo.digital The Muffin Man
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm considering purchasing this telephoto lens for my 5700 and would
>like to hear(read) some reviews of it. So if anyone has it please let
>me know what you think of it. Thanks

- Only usable at max zoom without vignetting. Slight vignetting around
edges even here. A blue sky photo of the moon shows this on mine.
Info mentions possibility of ghosting, but this is ridiculous.

- Requires UR-E8 adapter.

- If you want to leave the UR-8 attached to the TC you'll need a third
party cover for the back of the UR-E8, though the combo will fit in the
holder bag.

- Objective dia. of the TC is spec'd at 61mm on the info sheet and has
threads, but the info sheet says N/A for filter size. Note: the Nikon
filter set for the 5700 is 62mm, so doesn't appear compatible.
Statement in info pamphlet makes it appear the front lens projects out,
possibly eliminating the use of filters. I have't verified this yet.

- Possible focusing issue on subjects without stark contrast. I had
extreme difficulty getting the AF to properly focus on the blue sky moon
mentioned above even using the self timer and mounted on a tripod.
I had no such problem with my 990/TC-E3 or 990/Kenko KDT-60 combo.

- As expected the large focal length requires fast shutter speeds.

I've gotten some good shots with it, but am a bit disappointed in this
setup as an upgrade from my 990/TC-3/KDT-60.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Paul Bartram

"Ed Ruf" <EG*nospam*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> - Possible focusing issue on subjects without stark contrast. I had
> extreme difficulty getting the AF to properly focus on the blue sky moon
> mentioned above even using the self timer and mounted on a tripod.
> I had no such problem with my 990/TC-E3 or 990/Kenko KDT-60 combo.

How does the cheaper Kenko item compare image-wise to the 'genuine' Nikon?
Big price difference (especially down here in the basement) so is there a
lot of difference in the finished photo?

Paul

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:42:34 +1000, in rec.photo.digital "Paul Bartram"

>> - Possible focusing issue on subjects without stark contrast. I had
>> extreme difficulty getting the AF to properly focus on the blue sky moon
>> mentioned above even using the self timer and mounted on a tripod.
>> I had no such problem with my 990/TC-E3 or 990/Kenko KDT-60 combo.

>How does the cheaper Kenko item compare image-wise to the 'genuine' Nikon?
>Big price difference (especially down here in the basement) so is there a
>lot of difference in the finished photo?

Apples/oranges. The objective of the KDT is only 28mm compared to 72mm for
the TC3. Thus the resulting speed of the combined lenses is much slower. So
with the additional focal length there can be an even greater issue of
motion blur. For the Nikon TC's there is no reduction in f# when using the
converters. The Kenko is also a manual focus. So you first get' it's focus
close manually, then let the AF of the camera do the final work. The Kenko
is OK in very bright light or with a tripod, but the TC3 is fine in
many/most handheld situations. Some example photos may be found on my web
site.