Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: any way to batch convert Canon RAW to JPG?

Re: any way to batch convert Canon RAW to JPG?

Mick Ruthven

Sure, BreezeBrowser. www.breezesys.com

I almost always shoot in RAW with my G2. That way I can correct any white
balance problems during the conversion instead of waiting until after.
Without WB problems, not sure how much difference you'd actually find
compared to shooting in the best JPG. Probably depends on how much
processing you do in Photoshop afterward. Ask on the Canon Talk forum of
dpreview.com and you'll get some more experience.

"Eric Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Canon PowerShot G3, and am wondering if there is any way to
> take a bunch of images that I've saved in the RAW format and batch
> convert them to JPG? At first I was using the ZoomBrowser software
> for most of my photo work, but I find that I like some of the
> functionality in Adobe's new Photo Album software (ie having cropping
> to specific aspect ratios, better red eye reduction, etc).
>
> While I'm here, is there really much advantage to shooting / saving in
> RAW format on the Canon G3? If I were to switch to using JPG, the
> highest quality, largest file, etc, would there be any noticeable loss
> in quality?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
>
> Eric Johnson
> RF Characterization & Modeling Engineer
> Motorola SPS, DDL, III-V Device Development

S f S

In article <Z5eVa.1795$%(E-Mail Removed)>, "Mick Ruthven"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>BreezeBrowser. www.breezesys.com

Hi,

Will it also work with pictures taken with the Canon 10D? Will it save the data
that the camera implements in the pictures file like which Mode the picture was
taken in, etc?

The program FileViewerUtility1.2 that comes with the camera is quite annoying
for a couple of reasons.

Cheeers,
Sussan
You may Email me taking off my name from my Email address in the header of
this posted message.

Lionel

On 29 Jul 2003 01:13:16 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)USSAN (S
f S) said:

>In article <Z5eVa.1795$%(E-Mail Removed)>, "Mick Ruthven"
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>BreezeBrowser. www.breezesys.com

>Hi,
>
>Will it also work with pictures taken with the Canon 10D?

Yes. (I use it for both my 10D & my S30.)

> Will it save the data
>that the camera implements in the pictures file like which Mode the picture was
>taken in, etc?

Yes.

>The program FileViewerUtility1.2 that comes with the camera is quite annoying
>for a couple of reasons.

Yes, it is.

Lisa Horton

S f S wrote:

> The program FileViewerUtility1.2 that comes with the camera is quite annoying
> for a couple of reasons.

The primary one, of course, being that it's just a crappy program

Lisa

JPS@no.komm

In message <Z5eVa.1795$%(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Mick Ruthven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I almost always shoot in RAW with my G2. That way I can correct any white
>balance problems during the conversion instead of waiting until after.
>Without WB problems, not sure how much difference you'd actually find
>compared to shooting in the best JPG. Probably depends on how much
>processing you do in Photoshop afterward. Ask on the Canon Talk forum of
>dpreview.com and you'll get some more experience.

Any contrast, gamma, or brightness adjustments will survive much better
from a 16-bit TIFF converted from RAW than from an 8-bit file.
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>