Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Large Format Printers

Large Format Printers

remove the ~ to reply

Anyone have experince with printer that print bigger than 8x10. Now
that I have a 5 MP camera I was thinking about some 11X16 prints. I
know they are out their put for the typical consumer at an acceptable
price.

Bill Hilton

>From: remove the ~ to reply ~(E-Mail Removed)

>Anyone have experince with printer that print bigger than 8x10.

Yes, the 13 x 19" desktop models are very popular. I've owned three of them
the past few years.

>Now that I have a 5 MP camera I was thinking about some 11X16
>prints. I know they are out their put for the typical consumer at
>an acceptable price.

Epson 1280 or Epson 2200 or the Canon replacement for the S9000 are all
excellent and print up to 13x19".

Andrew McDonald

Bob Hatch wrote:

> The printers that print to 13 x 19 could not truly be called "large format"
> printers. Large format printers are usually identified as 24" wide or
> bigger, such as the Epson 7600, 9600, or 10600. I have a 7600 and the
> results from this printer are *better* than lab printing to as large as 24"
> x 72" panorama prints.

He did say "typical consumer at an acceptable price". $2995.95 (Current
B&H price) for the 7600 is not what I would call acceptable for the
average consumer.

The 2200 is a very nice printer (I just got one) that makes very nice
prints at an "acceptable" price. If $699 is not as acceptable as you
want, the 1280 is very nice at $399.

> My only regret is that I didn't buy the 9600 to allow me to print on 44"
> wide paper. Maybe next generation I'll move up a notch.

And $2000.

Bob Hatch

"nobody nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:awnbtJAKQAJ$(E-Mail Removed)...

> You are probably a pro, and have a very big house...

Yes on both counts. My office where the printer, computer, scanner (yes I
have one), and Tektronix Phaser printer are is 9 x 11 feet.

Just out of
> curiosity, is the 7600 with its greater size etc not a little trouble?

No. It sits on it's own stand to the left of my desk. The desk faces a
corner of the room and has a wing off to the right. No trouble at all.

> understand that you need periodic maintenance, lots of ink, etc.

I bought the printer in January. I've run 18128 cm of 24" wide paper through
it. The only maintenance so far has been to run a cleaning cycle every month
or so. Ink use is not bad considering the overall cost. 8x10 prints, paper
included run me 80 cents each.

And, a
> silly question, what do you do if you want to print say an A3 or A4?
> presumably you cut the paper accordingly after printing?

I don't know what an A3 or A4 size is. I use Qimage for most printing
functions for smaller images. I don't print just 1 8x10, but let things
stack up a bit until I can print at least 2 or more 8 x 10 or equivalents.
Then we trim.

Make me even
> more jealous by answering these questions...

Did it work?

--
http://www.bobhatch.com
Our web site about RV Stuff

nobody nowhere

It did!

In article <bg12f9$jggug$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Bob Hatch
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"nobody nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:awnbtJAKQAJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> You are probably a pro, and have a very big house...

>Yes on both counts. My office where the printer, computer, scanner (yes I
>have one), and Tektronix Phaser printer are is 9 x 11 feet.
>
> Just out of
>> curiosity, is the 7600 with its greater size etc not a little trouble?

>No. It sits on it's own stand to the left of my desk. The desk faces a
>corner of the room and has a wing off to the right. No trouble at all.

>> understand that you need periodic maintenance, lots of ink, etc.

>I bought the printer in January. I've run 18128 cm of 24" wide paper through
>it. The only maintenance so far has been to run a cleaning cycle every month
>or so. Ink use is not bad considering the overall cost. 8x10 prints, paper
>included run me 80 cents each.
>
>And, a
>> silly question, what do you do if you want to print say an A3 or A4?
>> presumably you cut the paper accordingly after printing?

>I don't know what an A3 or A4 size is. I use Qimage for most printing
>functions for smaller images. I don't print just 1 8x10, but let things
>stack up a bit until I can print at least 2 or more 8 x 10 or equivalents.
>Then we trim.
>
>Make me even
>> more jealous by answering these questions...
>>

>Did it work?
>

>> >I have a 7600 and the
>> >results from this printer are *better* than lab printing to as large as

>24"
>> >x 72" panorama prints.
>> >
>> >My only regret is that I didn't buy the 9600 to allow me to print on 44"
>> >wide paper. Maybe next generation I'll move up a notch.

>> Nobody

Nobody

Eddie Bromhead

Re:

> And, a
> > silly question, what do you do if you want to print say an A3 or A4?
> > presumably you cut the paper accordingly after printing?

> I don't know what an A3 or A4 size is. I use Qimage for most printing
> functions for smaller images. I don't print just 1 8x10, but let things
> stack up a bit until I can print at least 2 or more 8 x 10 or equivalents.

> http://www.bobhatch.com

Bob,

You must be in the US or Canada. Just about the rest of the world has
standardized its paper sizes: see this for the lowdown ....

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

You'll be surprised....

Trajabador

Thanks for the link - I've wondered how that stuff worked...

A metrically-challenged USA resident.

<snip>
> You must be in the US or Canada. Just about the rest of the world has
> standardized its paper sizes: see this for the lowdown ....
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html
>
> You'll be surprised....

nobody nowhere

Where did you get the beast? (I live in UK, London). Are you happy with
it? Are the results visibly/much better than with the 1290?

In article <3f24cfcb$(E-Mail Removed)>, gsum
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>According to my calculations, the 7600 ink and
>paper costs are about half of the 1290 costs.
>The UK price has dropped recently to 2000
>pounds i.e. about four times that of the Epson
>2100 so if you are selling prints the 7600
>makes sense.
>
>I had completely underestimated the size and
>weight of the 7600 - it was only just possible to
>get the thing through our front door and we had
>to unpack it before dragging/pushing it upstairs
>(it weighs 60 kgs).
>
>Graham
>
>"nobody nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:awnbtJAKQAJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You are probably a pro, and have a very big house... Just out of
>> curiosity, is the 7600 with its greater size etc not a little trouble? I
>> understand that you need periodic maintenance, lots of ink, etc. And, a
>> silly question, what do you do if you want to print say an A3 or A4?
>> presumably you cut the paper accordingly after printing? Make me even
>> more jealous by answering these questions...
>>

>> Nobody

gsum

I can't remember which supplier I used as
our server is down.
I followed the 'where to buy' link on the Epson
website and entered my postcode for a local
supplier. The prices at the Epson re-sellers appear
to be fixed so there is no advantage in choosing one
over another.

The results are very similar to those from the 1290
except that there is a slight amount of bronzing of the
blacks but this is not very noticeable.

The main advantages of the 7600 over the 1290 are:

1. The ink dries instantly. The 1290 ink requires a
couple of hours to dry and loose a slight majenta cast.

2. Printing is much faster.

3. Consumables seem to be about 50% cheaper (I'm still
assessing this).

4. The ink and paper are light fast for 65 years - I'm
not sure how they know that but I have had problems
with fading of 1290 prints after a few months.

If you decide to buy, check with the Epson site. When
I bought mine in March, there was an offer for half
price consumables which the re-seller knew nothing
about. At that time you could get 700 pounds
worth of ink and paper for 340 pounds.

Graham

"nobody nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newseC32UAclOJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where did you get the beast? (I live in UK, London). Are you happy with
> it? Are the results visibly/much better than with the 1290?

nobody nowhere

Thank you very much, I regard 2K as very reasonable for what is
offered, in particular longevity of pics, and 50 per cent cheaper
consumables are tempting, however, it now seems that the most important
digital photo piece of equipment is... the size for the room or flat...

In article <3f2506c0$(E-Mail Removed)>, gsum
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes