Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Coolpix zoom motor noise

Coolpix zoom motor noise

Don

Just got a Coolpix 4300. Very impressed with it except for one thing
that is concerning me. At certain zoom positions when using wide angle a
rather nasty scraping or grating noise is noticeable. The zoom motion is
not affected, yet.

Anyone else notice this on their Coolpix?

Cheers
Don

dirtycow

> Take it back and get another one.

??? What are you basing that comment on? My CP 995 makes the noise - it is
a well known issue. A play with Google will chuck some info. Apparently its
nothing to worry about

Matt

Andrew McDonald

dirtycow wrote:
>>Take it back and get another one.

> ??? What are you basing that comment on? My CP 995 makes the noise - it is
> a well known issue. A play with Google will chuck some info. Apparently its
> nothing to worry about

A grinding/grating sound is normal? I have a CP990 and a CP5000 and
neither of them makes a grating/grinding sound. They are noisy but not
that noisy.

dirtycow

> A grinding/grating sound is normal? I have a CP990 and a CP5000 and
> neither of them makes a grating/grinding sound. They are noisy but not
> that noisy.

Depends on your opinion of noise i guess. I think the sound is a grinding
noise, but its not too noisy IMO. For a new user to the camera whos used to
a 'silent' zooming camera, it must seem loud.

Matt

Don

On 7/28/2003 5:31 AM, dirtycow wrote:
> Depends on your opinion of noise i guess. I think the sound is a grinding
> noise, but its not too noisy IMO. For a new user to the camera whos used to
> a 'silent' zooming camera, it must seem loud.

Yeah, that's the problem with noise. It's very hard to judge. Having
been used to manual zooms which are perfectly silent (obviously) I guess
I was expecting the same.

Although I guess my other thought was that the noise was not consistent.
It varied from a hum, to this grinding type noise at certain points. But
I am getting the picture that it is pretty normal.

Thanks for the help.
Don

Andrew McDonald

Don wrote:
> Yeah, that's the problem with noise. It's very hard to judge. Having
> been used to manual zooms which are perfectly silent (obviously) I guess
> I was expecting the same.

Then take it back to the store and compare with another one. If they
are the same then it's probably OK. If not then exchange it.

Don

On 7/28/2003 11:16 AM, Andrew McDonald wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> Yeah, that's the problem with noise. It's very hard to judge. Having
>> been used to manual zooms which are perfectly silent (obviously) I guess
>> I was expecting the same.

> Then take it back to the store and compare with another one. If they
> are the same then it's probably OK. If not then exchange it.

Good advice. Thanks.

Don