Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: WARNING

Re: WARNING

W5PT

OK, I give up. I've been burned by scams and figured out a few, but I've
not seen an ad like this on eBay for "pre-approved bidders only."

I suppose it could be to gather email addresses and nobody gets approved.
Or, he gets your address, comes over and pours Kool-Aid in you gold fish
bowl, etc. etc. Who knows?

"maark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bg00op$1hmb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On the eBay site is a twister:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2942681725
> Warning!
> maark

Bernard Hill

In article <qTNUa.126332$(E-Mail Removed)>, W5PT
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>OK, I give up. I've been burned by scams and figured out a few, but I've
>not seen an ad like this on eBay for "pre-approved bidders only."

I've had that from German companies and no problems. They want to get a
contact and be sure you are a real bidder, and to bother to register
shows you are keen.

Bogus bids are a waste of time and money.

Bernard Hill
Selkirk, Scotland

Tony Cooper

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:32:54 GMT, "W5PT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK, I give up. I've been burned by scams and figured out a few, but I've
>not seen an ad like this on eBay for "pre-approved bidders only."

It's fairly common on certain, usually high-ticket, items. The Seller
is requiring that bidders have an established track-record (feedback)
and a valid means of payment. They also sometimes screen the Bidder
to see if the bidder understands that the item will be shipped from
(insert country) and shipping costs will be high if you are in another
country and duty may have to be paid. In some cases, the Seller wants
to make sure you understand you are bidding in UK pounds and not US
dollars. You'd be amazed how many people don't read ads and still
bid.

If a Seller says that he will furnish the shipping amount at the close
of the auction, that isn't really a red flag either. Just e-mail the
Seller and ask how it will be based. If he doesn't reply, that's a
red flag.

I put a shipping amount in my ads for sales within the US and a line
that says e-mail for costs if you are not in the US. I'll compute
them for that person and mail them right back.

I would not consider the either of these things to be a red flag at
all. It indicates that the Seller is an experienced Seller that isn't
going to put up with the nonsense of someone bidding, winning, and
backing out of the sale. This hurts the genuine bidders.

The only real red flag to me is when the Seller only accepts payment
by Western Union, bank transfer, or certified check. That pretty much
indicates a disappearing Seller and no product delivered.

--
Tony Cooper aka: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Provider of Jots, Tittles, and Oy!s

Bernard Hill

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>The only real red flag to me is when the Seller only accepts payment
>by Western Union, bank transfer, or certified check. That pretty much
>indicates a disappearing Seller and no product delivered.

Don't extend that to Europe. In many European countries (eg Germany)
credit cards are rare and companies don't take them. Internally they
despatch COD but that's not available overseas so they need bank
transfer. I've twice bought cameras from Germany with bank transfer and
no problem. A reputable company, though.

Bernard Hill
Selkirk, Scotland

maark

and he evaporated now from eBay auction site!!!
Have a look!
maark

"Tony Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> píse v diskusním príspevku
news:(E-Mail Removed)...