Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Noise - Different Kinds

Noise - Different Kinds

Cooter

1. Is the noise "pattern" different for high ISO ratings and long exposure
times?
2. Do I need a different profile for the two types of noise in Image Ready?

Thanks,
Cooter

Cooter

OOPS! That should be Neat Image, not Image Ready. Sorry.

Cooter

Mark M

"Cooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:89BUa.348757$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> OOPS! That should be Neat Image, not Image Ready. Sorry.

You need a profile for each ISO you shoot in.

Jeremy

Cooter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 1. Is the noise "pattern" different for high ISO ratings and long exposure
> times?

"Digital noise" varies with ISO, shutter speed, and temperature at the time
of exposure.

I can't answer your second question, sorry.

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Lionel

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 05:47:17 -0000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeremy
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>Cooter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> 1. Is the noise "pattern" different for high ISO ratings and long exposure
>> times?

>"Digital noise" varies with ISO, shutter speed, and temperature at the time
>of exposure.
>
>I can't answer your second question, sorry.

Hi Jeremy, nice to see you here. I had no idea you were interested in
photography!

And yes, you're correct. As for the OP's second question, yes, you need
different noise profiles.

Browntimdc

"Bart van der Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3f256d26$0$49098$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl:

> "Browntimdc" <browntR*E*M*O*V*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> SNIP
>> I just take an out of focus shot on location at the settings I think
>> I'll be using. Then I make a profile with that image.

> It is easier to download the target from the Neat Image site, and take
> an out of focus image of that under controlled circumstances. It will
> offer you all the major brightness's in a single shot, and allows to
> build an excellent profile for your ISO setting. All three color
> channels receive equal exposure, so the noise profile is very
> reliable.
>
> You can only improve on it if you shoot it under several extreme
> operating temperatures (e.g. freezing cold, average spring or indoor,
> and blazing sunshine).
>
> Bart

I tried the test target. I found for whatever reason the noise I get on
location was always different. Whether it's shutter speed, ISO setting,
room temperature, camera temperature, color temperature of the
illumination... whatever. There's just too many things changing. I only
takes a minute to build a profile, I always have a profile that matches
well with my images and I don't have to keep track of a bunch of
different profiles.

Maybe I could take a photo of a gray scale target out in the field.

Tim