Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > minimum mp's for 11x14

minimum mp's for 11x14

Pacovsky

for a decent 11x14 print lowest possable mp required, thanks in advance john

Tom Thackrey

On 26-Jul-2003, "Pacovsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> for a decent 11x14 print lowest possable mp required, thanks in advance
> john

This is a very subjective question. I think the minimum ppi for OK printing
is 180, therefore an 11x14 would require 5mp. If you think 300 ppi is the
minimum, 14mp would be required. The formula is
mp=(height*ppi*width*ppi)/1,000,000

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com

Gene Palmiter

Depends...on your standards and the printer you will use and the software.
But....say you want 300 pixels per inch...that works well....3300 x 4200=
13860000...or 13.8 megapixels.

However...using genuine fractals I have done very nice work with posters and
a 4 mp camera. I can see the difference...but most users cannot.

"Pacovsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> for a decent 11x14 print lowest possable mp required, thanks in advance

john

Bernard Hill

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Pacovsky
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>for a decent 11x14 print lowest possable mp required, thanks in advance john

Reckon 300dpi for great quality, 250 for good quality, 200 for OK
quality, 150 for acceptable, 100 for nearly acceptable. (!)

So at 150 dpi

11x150 x 14x 150 = 3.46Mb

VERY rough guide, and it varies by picture, by camera, by lens and by
printer.

But why not take part of your picture and print smaller but at the scale
which would be required to see how it looks.

Bernard Hill
Selkirk, Scotland

Andrew McDonald

Pacovsky wrote:
> for a decent 11x14 print lowest possable mp required, thanks in advance john

I printed a stunning 11x17 using a 6MP file from my D100. Printer was
Epson 2200.

I did not resample at all, just printed the PPI that were available.

The printer may have done a lot of magic, I don't know. I just know
it's beautiful.

Ironically it's the first thing bigger than 8x10 I have ever printed in
25 years of photography.

HRosita

Hi,

I just created a new file in photoshop 11x14, at 240 PPI.
Comes to 2640 x 3360 pixel and a file size of 25.4 MegaBytes.
Rosita

Roland Wooster

"Pacovsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> for a decent 11x14 print lowest possable mp required, thanks in advance john

In a short answer: many are happy with 200dpi when printing, all are
happy with 300dpi.

So at 200dpi you need a camera that does 2200 by nearly 3000 so you'd
want just about 6MPix. If you want to use 300dpi, well that would be
14Mpix.

Obviously you can upsize the images through interpolation, starting
with a lower resolution imagine, using something like Photoshop, but
that isn't quite the same.

Roland.

Robert E. Williams

It depends VERY strongly on the type of picture you take and the effect you are
trying to create.
I shot a semi-abstract of an architectural scene with a 2MP camera and converted
it to gray scale.
Cropped and Resized in Photoshop to 11 X 14 at 240 ppi and printed it on Epson
Heavyweight Matte.
It was quite professional looking.
I doubt if you could get an acceptable 11 X 14 with only 2 MP, shooting a color
portrait or a scene with a lot of detail.
Normally I send the printer a 4 MP high resolution .jpeg ( via a Canon S45)
resized in PS to 8 x 10 at 240 ppi.
They look as good as prints (actually better--- because of editing) I used to
get from 35 mm film.
Bob Williams

Pacovsky wrote:

> for a decent 11x14 print lowest possable mp required, thanks in advance john

Don Stauffer

You are of course getting widely varying opinions, and this is
reasonable because of one important fact - the answer depends on the
subject matter, which you did not state. Are we talking landscape,
here? People - machinery- abstract stuff? It really does depend.

Pacovsky wrote:

> for a decent 11x14 print lowest possable mp required, thanks in advance john

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

stefano giovannini

Tom Thackrey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This is a very subjective question. I think the minimum ppi for OK printing
> is 180, therefore an 11x14 would require 5mp. If you think 300 ppi is the
> minimum, 14mp would be required.

is it better to do a print at 200 dpi WITHOUT interpolation or at 300
dpi WITH interpolation?

or let's say something in between with less interpolation?

considering same size print.

stefano

--
my photography