Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scanning slides

Scanning slides

Charlie Self

Several slide scanning services offer a variety of resolutions. I'm aiming at
one that offers 4000 dpi (ppi?), with a file about 14 megs. See another that
offers 4000 dpi and a 68 meg file. Both seem to be using the same top end Nikon
scanner. Anyone know what gives?

Charlie Self

"On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation
in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does."
Will Rogers

Dick Campbell

A 35 mm film is 24 x 36 mm per image. At 4000 DPI this is 5669 x 3779 pixles
or 21.5 MP . Multiply x 3 (for 3 colours)and you get 64 MB, pretty close to
68 MB.

I would say that one is quoting TIIF uncompressed file size and the other is
JPEG (compressed). In fact 14 MB for a JPEG indicates very little
compession. My 3 MP camera produces 9 MB TIFFs and 1.5 MB JPEGs with minmum
compression.

They probaly both so TIFF and JPEG, they have juste quoted different file
types.

"Charlie Self" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Several slide scanning services offer a variety of resolutions. I'm aiming

at
> one that offers 4000 dpi (ppi?), with a file about 14 megs. See another

that
> offers 4000 dpi and a 68 meg file. Both seem to be using the same top end

Nikon
> scanner. Anyone know what gives?
>
> Charlie Self
>
> "On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only

nation
> in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it

does."
> Will Rogers

Mxsmanic

Charlie Self writes:

> Both seem to be using the same top end Nikon
> scanner. Anyone know what gives?

One is the JPEG size, the other is the TIFF size. Those are the file
sizes I get in my own scans, for JPEGs (usually about 14 MB) and 8-bit
TIFFs (usually about 68 MB) respectively. A 16-bit TIFF is twice that
size, or about 128 MB.