Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I don't understand why this should be the case with lenses?

I don't understand why this should be the case with lenses?

Mr.Will

I have two lenses, one is a 75-300f4/f5.6 and a 35-110 f 4-f5.6
FOr some reason I need less light to get a decent exposure and colour
saturation with the 75-300 lens.
Yet both are f 4/5.6 - it doesnt seem to make sense to me.
Also with my prime f 1.8, if I shoot at f 4 it seems once again to require
less light for a decent exposure.
Perhaps this is due to it being prime and not zoom - Ive heard prime is
simply better due it being optimised for a particular job.

Still it seems odd to me that f4 doesnt always mean f 4.
Can anyone explain this to me?

--
Mr.Will

Leon

Lets eliminate perhaps the obvious... Do you have filters attached to both
lenses and if so are they exactly the same filter?
Then, are you using the proper size filter on each lens so as not to be
restricting light from one over the other?

Are your findings the same with no filters at all?

Are you shooting both lenses at 75 and 25 respectively to take advantage of
maximum aperture on both lenses when doing the comparison? Does either lens
have a hood that could be restricting light?

"Mr.Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:USkUa.11583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have two lenses, one is a 75-300f4/f5.6 and a 35-110 f 4-f5.6
> FOr some reason I need less light to get a decent exposure and colour
> saturation with the 75-300 lens.
> Yet both are f 4/5.6 - it doesnt seem to make sense to me.
> Also with my prime f 1.8, if I shoot at f 4 it seems once again to require
> less light for a decent exposure.
> Perhaps this is due to it being prime and not zoom - Ive heard prime is
> simply better due it being optimised for a particular job.
>
> Still it seems odd to me that f4 doesnt always mean f 4.
> Can anyone explain this to me?
>
> --
> Mr.Will

Mark M

Leon wrote:
> Lets eliminate perhaps the obvious... Do you have filters attached
> to both lenses and if so are they exactly the same filter?
> Then, are you using the proper size filter on each lens so as not to
> be restricting light from one over the other?
>
> Are your findings the same with no filters at all?
>
> Are you shooting both lenses at 75 and 25 respectively to take
> advantage of maximum aperture on both lenses when doing the
> comparison? Does either lens have a hood that could be restricting
> light?

Hoods don't restrict the light in a sense that would be significant here.
He didn't include enough details about exposure for anyone to answer his
question. His camera body may be compensating differently, but we wouldn't
know. Also... If he's using print film, then all bets are off--since the
processor of his film has FAR more control over exposure than he (the
photog) did.

Paul Repacholi

"Mr.Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Still it seems odd to me that f4 doesnt always mean f 4. Can anyone
> explain this to me?

Look up `t numbers' in a good photo reference. specifically, f4 does
not mean t4...

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (0 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

Charlie D

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Repacholi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Mr.Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Still it seems odd to me that f4 doesnt always mean f 4. Can anyone
> > explain this to me?

> Look up `t numbers' in a good photo reference. specifically, f4 does
> not mean t4...

Aren't "t" numbers brought into play at when lenses are focused closer,
usually much closer than infinity?
I don't feel like looking it up.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Charlie D

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Eppstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> T-numbers are
> simply F-numbers, tweaked to compensate for the fact that not all the
> light that goes into a lens makes it through to the other side:

ok, thanks.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Mxsmanic

Charlie D writes:

> Aren't "t" numbers brought into play at when lenses are focused closer,
> usually much closer than infinity?

A t-number is the true aperture of a lens including transmission and
other losses. It's measured by actually measuring the light passing
through the lens at a given nominal aperture setting.

T-numbers are useful in cinematopgraphy for very precisely matching
exposure from shot to shot and from lens to lens, so that difference
scenes do not change in brightness when multiple shots of the same scene
are edited together. Two cameras with two lenses set to t/8 will
produce exactly the same exposure on film; if they were just set to f/8,
tiny differences in their true aperture might cause brightness to change
visibly when cutting from one camera to the other in a scene.

In still photography, this obviously is far less of a problem, so
t-numbers are not normally used. The difference between t- and
f-numbers is too small to have an influence on correct exposure.