Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus E10 or E20: Which one????

Olympus E10 or E20: Which one????

Justin Koch

I've done a good bit of homework on this newsgroup and plan to buy
either a E10 or E20. I curious what are the obvious tradeoffs between
the two?

Price
Viewfinder
Focal Lengths
shutter speed
image quality
Read write speeds
LCD
Buttons/controls
Media

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> I've done a good bit of homework on this newsgroup and plan to buy
> either a E10 or E20. I curious what are the obvious tradeoffs between
> the two?
>
> Price
> Viewfinder
> Focal Lengths
> shutter speed
> image quality
> Read write speeds
> LCD
> Buttons/controls
> Media
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Justin

There are only a few advantages of the E20 over the E10:

* 1 extra megapixel of resolution
* progressive scan mode for shutter speeds up to 1/18,000 second. This
is useless because the picture quality at this setting suffers
considerably.
* Pixel mapping routine to map out bad pixels. This is available in a
firmware update for the E10 however so it really isn't an issue.

The E20 also takes longer to write to the card than the E10 does because
the files are larger. I got the E20 but if I had it to do over, I would
probably get the E10 and save some money.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

David J. Littleboy

"Todd Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There are only a few advantages of the E20 over the E10:
>
> * 1 extra megapixel of resolution

I'd count this as pretty big. For A4 borderless prints, it can make the
difference.

> * progressive scan mode for shutter speeds up to 1/18,000 second. This
> is useless because the picture quality at this setting suffers
> considerably.
> * Pixel mapping routine to map out bad pixels. This is available in a
> firmware update for the E10 however so it really isn't an issue.
>
> The E20 also takes longer to write to the card than the E10 does because
> the files are larger. I got the E20 but if I had it to do over, I would
> probably get the E10 and save some money.

Isn't the noise level in the images much lower in the E20 than the E10? I
was under the impression that the E20 and F717 at ISO 100 and 400 (80 and
320) are about as good as consumer cameras get at ISO 100, and noticeably
better than everything else at ISO 400, but that the E10 is noticeably
worse.

(Truth in advertising: I'm prejudiced against the E20 since I see it as a
sheep (consumer dcam image quality) in wolf's (dSLR) clothes. Most people
see the lovely viewfinder and solid mechanics as features<g>.)

David J. Littleboy
(E-Mail Removed)
Tokyo, Japan

mAX

> (Truth in advertising: I'm prejudiced against the E20 since I see it as a
> sheep (consumer dcam image quality) in wolf's (dSLR) clothes. Most people
> see the lovely viewfinder and solid mechanics as features<g>.)
>
> David J. Littleboy
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Tokyo, Japan

Mr. Sony speaks.

David J. Littleboy

"mAX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f244470$0$31053$(E-Mail Removed)4al l.nl...

> > (Truth in advertising: I'm prejudiced against the E20 since I see it as

> > sheep (consumer dcam image quality) in wolf's (dSLR) clothes. Most

people
> > see the lovely viewfinder and solid mechanics as features<g>.)
> >
> > David J. Littleboy
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> > Tokyo, Japan

> Mr. Sony speaks.

My objection to the E20 is that the extra size and weight doesn't come with
any improvement in image quality over the Sony. It's the same as an F5 vs.
an N80. I'd rather have an N80, many people prefer the F5.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan