Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Going to Indianapolis - photo recommendations wanted

Going to Indianapolis - photo recommendations wanted

Viller Ramone

My company has decided to send me to Indianapolis for a week's
training starting next Monday. As I know little more about Indiana
than what could be gleaned from a former Indianan friend's collection
of wildly inappropriate (and doubtless wholly inaccurate) jokes
involving said state's inhabitants and various farm animals, I'd like
some recommendations as to things to do and things to photograph. A
web search has shown there to be what looks like a very good art
museum, which, schedule permitting, I'll be visiting. Anything else I
shouldn't miss? Any good parks or botanical gardens? Especially
appreciated would be suggestions that could be done in the evening/at
night, as I'll be stuck in the hotel until 4:30 or 5 every evening
learning the joys of working with a database that was state of the art
in 1987.

Thank you in advance for any help.

David G. Stinner

I'm not sure how late it's open till but you can try the Indianapolis Motor
Speedway and Museum.
"Viller Ramone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My company has decided to send me to Indianapolis for a week's
> training starting next Monday. As I know little more about Indiana
> than what could be gleaned from a former Indianan friend's collection
> of wildly inappropriate (and doubtless wholly inaccurate) jokes
> involving said state's inhabitants and various farm animals, I'd like
> some recommendations as to things to do and things to photograph. A
> web search has shown there to be what looks like a very good art
> museum, which, schedule permitting, I'll be visiting. Anything else I
> shouldn't miss? Any good parks or botanical gardens? Especially
> appreciated would be suggestions that could be done in the evening/at
> night, as I'll be stuck in the hotel until 4:30 or 5 every evening
> learning the joys of working with a database that was state of the art
> in 1987.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ

Hey Tony,

I'll be in Trafalgar in August (and staying in Franklin). Any
recommendations for a 24hr trip? (just going to a wedding)

Tony Cooper wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> Re: Going to Indianapolis - photo recommendations wanted

Tony Cooper

On 24 Jul 2003 16:12:43 GMT, NJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey Tony,
>
>I'll be in Trafalgar in August (and staying in Franklin). Any
>recommendations for a 24hr trip? (just going to a wedding)

Say "Hello" to Nelson's ghost for me and tell him I thought the Irish
treated him rudely when they blew up his statue. Oh
.....wait....different Trafalgar.

My parents were married in Franklin.

Don't worry about the length of time you have in Indianapolis. It
will seem much longer.

--
Tony Cooper aka: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Provider of Jots, Tittles, and Oy!s

Glenn Shaw

Viller Ramone wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> My company has decided to send me to Indianapolis for a week's
> training starting next Monday. As I know little more about Indiana
> than what could be gleaned from a former Indianan friend's collection
> of wildly inappropriate (and doubtless wholly inaccurate) jokes
> involving said state's inhabitants and various farm animals, I'd like
> some recommendations as to things to do and things to photograph. A
> web search has shown there to be what looks like a very good art
> museum, which, schedule permitting, I'll be visiting.

As mentioned before, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is always a good
place to visit, especially the Hall of Fame Museum on the Speedway
grounds.

> Anything else I shouldn't miss? Any good parks or botanical gardens?

There's the White River Gardens, located between the Indianapolis Zoo and the White River
near Downtown. I've never been there myself, but I hear that it's a very nice place. (I
also hear that they have butterflies flittering about in the arboretum this time of the
year.)

White River Gardens and the Indianapolis Zoo are also part of the White River State Park,
one of the largest parks in the city, which also contains many popular venues like the
Indiana State Museum, the NCAA Headquarters and Hall of Champions, Victory Field, the
Eiteljorg Museum, and the Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial. Many of the locales
within the park are also good locations for taking pictures of the Indy skyline.

Other Downtown venues you might want to check out include the Indianapolis Artsgarden,
Monument Circle and Conseco Fieldhouse. The Artsgarden -- a glass-domed structure
suspended over Washington and Illinois Streets -- looks wonderful all lit up at night,
and the Circle is always very brightly lit at night, with lights strung up in the trees
surrounding the brick-paved Circle and it's centerpiece, the Soldiers and Sailors
Monument. (Too bad you couldn't come over during the Christmas holiday season; that's
when the Soldiers and Sailors Monument is strung up and lit up like a big Christmas
tree.) Conseco Fieldhouse hosts a lot of concerts and special events, and is home court
for the Pacers and Fever pro basketball teams.

I hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy your stay here in Indy.

--
Glenn Shaw
Indianapolis, IN

Tony Cooper

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:23:36 -0500, Glenn Shaw
<(E-Mail Removed)9.co.jp> wrote:

>White River Gardens and the Indianapolis Zoo are also part of the White River State Park,
>one of the largest parks in the city, which also contains many popular venues like the
>Indiana State Museum, the NCAA Headquarters and Hall of Champions,

I hope Bobby Knight and Branch McCracken are enshrined there.

>Victory Field, the
>Eiteljorg Museum,

So the Eiteljorg's popped for a museum, hunh? I went to school with
Harrison Eiteljorg's son Jack. They should put something back since
they made their piles of money from strip mining coal and tearing up
great parts of Southern Indiana and Kentucky. Probably stocked the
museum with Indian artifacts they bulldozed out.

>and the Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial. Many of the locales
>within the park are also good locations for taking pictures of the Indy skyline.
>
>Other Downtown venues you might want to check out include the Indianapolis Artsgarden,
>Monument Circle and Conseco Fieldhouse. The Artsgarden -- a glass-domed structure
>suspended over Washington and Illinois Streets -- looks wonderful all lit up at night,
>and the Circle is always very brightly lit at night, with lights strung up in the trees
>surrounding the brick-paved Circle and it's centerpiece, the Soldiers and Sailors
>Monument.

Is the City Market gone? Gone the way of Blacker's Chili Parlor?
(Something like 99 varieties of chili, and better than any Cincinnati
chili) The Fireside Inn? Ayre's clock? St Elmo's Steak & Chop House?

--
Tony Cooper aka: (E-Mail Removed)
Provider of Jots, Tittles, and Oy!s

Viller Ramone

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:10:12 -0400, Tony Cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:59:59 -0500, Viller Ramone
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>First, learn to refer to us as Hoosiers and not as an "Indianan".

You know, I was trying to remember that word, but I kept fixating on
"cornhusker," which I knew was wrong. Decided to play it safe rather
than try to get any Hoosier street cred and instead looking like a
total tool..

>Even if you are not an automobile racing fan, a visit to the
>Indianapolis Motor Speedway - home of the Indianapolis 500 - is like
>catching Big Ben in London even if you are not a clock fan.

I'll likely do this.

<a bunch of very funny stuff snipped>
>The Children's Museum (my grandmother was one of the founders) is a
>rare treat for one of any age. The Circle (a monument in the center
>of downtown) is an obligatory photo opportunity.

My Hoosier friend also said this museum was keen, and you've fully
convinced me. If it's open at any point when I'm not learning about
the wonders of db3 (and how it's the only database we as a society
will ever need), I'll check it out as well.

<more funny stuff snipped>
Thank you for the info and the humor. This would've been a worthwhile
response even if you hadn't given me any ideas (which you did).

Cheers,
Viller

Viller Ramone

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:23:36 -0500, Glenn Shaw
<(E-Mail Removed)9.co.jp> wrote:

<my plea for advice on what to do in Indianapolis snipped>>
>There's the White River Gardens, located between the Indianapolis Zoo and the White River
>near Downtown. I've never been there myself, but I hear that it's a very nice place. (I
>also hear that they have butterflies flittering about in the arboretum this time of the
>year.)

Sounds like someplace I need to visit.

<more excellent ideas of what to do snipped>
>I hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy your stay here in Indy.

It will help a lot. Thank you very much for the assist. Based on what
people who'd been there told me, I was planning on buying 4 or 5 books
and spending my evenings wishing I was back in Minnesota. With the
help provided by you and Tony, I think I'll have a great time.

Regards,
Viller

Herb Kauhry

Fireside: gone by the wayside.

other stuff Downtown:
Walk the Canal, go to Shapiro's Deli for lunch, Indianapolis Museum of Art
(west side of town), the Indiana War Memorial, Robert's Imaging (pro shop
for camera stuff!!), Bazbeaux for EXCELLENT pizza and the rest of Mass
Avenue for food, drink entertainment, Alcatraz or Rock Bottom for
microbrewed beers, Shula's for steaks in the Westin Hotel, Indians baseball
at Victory Field, Claddagh's Irish Pub for Guiness and awesome fish and
chips, Slippery Noodle for beer and blues, Broad Ripple (northside),
Indianapolis Raceway Park (westside) for racing, take a walk through
Lockerby Square, Holcomb Observatory at Butler Univ., Indiana State Museum,
Indiana Historical Society, Military Park, see a movie at Circle Center,
White Castle (burgers, kind of), take a tour of the RCA dome (although
essentially identical to the HHH dome in Minn.), dinner and closeup magic at
Magic Moments, observation deck at Union Planter's tower, your choice of at
least 10 Starbucks , Long's donuts, Charlie and Barney's for chili.
Take a horse-and-carriage ride in the evening. Malibu on Maryland for food
of all sorts.

"Glenn Shaw" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.jp> wrote in message
news:Xns93C2C5AC9D9A7togusacomcastnet@206.127.4.25 ...
> Tony Cooper wrote in rec.photo.digital:
> >
> > Is the City Market gone? Gone the way of Blacker's Chili Parlor?
> > (Something like 99 varieties of chili, and better than any Cincinnati
> > chili) The Fireside Inn? Ayre's clock? St Elmo's Steak & Chop House?

> I don't know about Blacker's and the Fireside Inn, but the City Market and
> St. Elmo's are still here, and the L.S. Ayres clock and building facade
> have been preserved in their original locations and incorporated into the
> facade of the Circle Centre shopping mall.
>
> --
> Glenn Shaw
> Indianapolis, IN

Tony Cooper

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:25:56 -0500, Viller Ramone
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It will help a lot. Thank you very much for the assist. Based on what
>people who'd been there told me, I was planning on buying 4 or 5 books
>and spending my evenings wishing I was back in Minnesota. With the
>help provided by you and Tony, I think I'll have a great time.

You didn't say you were from Minnesota. OK, you want photo
opportunities in Indianapolis:

Pick any outdoor place at random and take a picture of anything at
random. Show this to your friends in Minnesota and say "This is an
outdoor scene where there are no black flies." Your friends will be
amazed, if only slightly disbelieving.

Pick any outdoor place at random and take a picture of anything at
random. Show this to your friends in Minnesota and say "This is an
outdoor scene where there are no lakes visible." Your friends will be
amazed, if only slightly disbelieving.

Pick any Hook's or Haag's drugstore and take a picture of it. Show
this to your friends in Minnesota and say "This is the largest indoor
shopping mall in Indiana. Your friend will be amazed, and feel smugly
superior.

Now, this thing about their being five books about things to see and
do in Indianapolis...I am amazed, and slightly disbelieving.