Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is my Canon G2 faulty?

Is my Canon G2 faulty?

JL

The AV and TV mode always over expose. The auto mode is fine. Is there
anything I forget to setup? Or this DC is faulty?

More details:
Auto mode: 1/600 f4.0 -- this is perfect.
Av: 1/100 f4.0 - over exposed.
Tv: 1/600 f2.2 - over exposed.

Any advices are appreciated.

Mick Ruthven

If 1/600 f4.0 is correct, then of course 1/100 f4.0 and 1/600 f2.2 will be
way overexposed, assuming the ISO is the same. The question is why you're
getting 1/100 f4.0 and 1/600 f2.2 in Av and Tv when you get 1/600 f4.0 in
Auto. I assume it's the same scene and same lighting. I have a G2 and get
essentially the same exposure in Auto and Av and Tv. It may not be the same
shutter speed and f stop if Tv and Av are set to a higher ISO, but the
resulting exposure of the image will be the same. I can't think of anything
except a camera problem, but I suggest that you ask on the Canon Talk forum
on www.dpreview.com for other opinions.

"JL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> The AV and TV mode always over expose. The auto mode is fine. Is there
> anything I forget to setup? Or this DC is faulty?
>
> More details:
> Auto mode: 1/600 f4.0 -- this is perfect.
> Av: 1/100 f4.0 - over exposed.
> Tv: 1/600 f2.2 - over exposed.
>
> Any advices are appreciated.

Dave Martindale

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (JL) writes:
>Dave,

>You are right. The expose compensation was set to +2. So the AV & TV
>are all over expose.

I've done the same thing. Set EC to +1 or +2 to deal with a backlit
subject, then put the camera away without cancelling it. A week or a
month later, take the camera out and just assume everything's normal,
and get awful exposures.

Frankly, I'm not used to a camera with EC at all. Doing exposure
compensation in my SLR is a matter of putting the camera in manual mode
and adjusting the aperture and shutter speed until the exposure meter
indicates a certain amount to one side of centre. When there's no EC
setting on the camera, there's nothing to leave in the wrong position.

You can set up your G2 to catch this problem easily. Set it to display
the just-shot image for 2 or 10 seconds, and set the display mode to
show you a histogram. A badly overexposed image is instantly
recognizable, and you can then go looking for the problem.

Dave