Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Zero

howard

I looked at the spec for the Canon A70 and the lower
operating temp is 0 degrees C.

Does the camera simply stop working at lower temperatures
or is there any actual damage done ?

I hope the LCD doesn't freeze !?

H.

Jim Townsend

howard wrote:

> I looked at the spec for the Canon A70 and the lower
> operating temp is 0 degrees C.
>
> Does the camera simply stop working at lower temperatures
> or is there any actual damage done ?
>
> I hope the LCD doesn't freeze !?

If you place the camera on a table outoors for a few hours at 0 C, you can
expect it to get grumpy, but I imagine it will work. Zero C isn't that cold
(At least where I live

If you're just planning on shooting at zero, just keep your camera under your
jacket.. That will keep it warm enough that you won't notice.

I've used my old Pro90 at -25C. in a howling wind. The LCD didn't freeze, but
it got sluggish in updating the image. When you moved the camera the image
was very jerky. Again.. I never left the camera outdoors. It came from a
warm car.

JK

howard wrote:

> I looked at the spec for the Canon A70 and the lower
> operating temp is 0 degrees C.
>
> Does the camera simply stop working at lower temperatures
> or is there any actual damage done ?

What probably happens is that the batteries don't put out enough
power at that temperature to operate the camera properly. If you keep
the camera under your coat and close to your body until just before
you are ready to use it, you probably won't have a problem, unless
you try to use the camera for several minutes at a time.