Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how long is too long?

how long is too long?

Nikhil Deo

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfm6me$geme4$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I was going through some old stuff and came across one roll of Ektachrome
> and two of Fujichrome film that had not been developed.......the last time

> shot slide film was over 15 years ago. Do you think the years would have
> taken it's toll on the film and I should just toss them in the

trash......or
> if it were you.....would you have them developed? I know that they have
> been stored in a cool dry place for all these years.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Ciao,
> Mark C
> Nashville, TN

If I were you:

I would definitely give it a shot.

Go to a pro shop and develop only one of them if you do not want to waste
more money.

EDGY01

<< came across one roll of Ektachrome
and two of Fujichrome film that had not been developed.......the last time I
shot slide film was over 15 years ago. Do you think the years would have
taken it's toll on the film and I should just toss them in the trash >><BR><BR>

The latent image begins to deteriorate immediately on film. The only thing we
are aware of that suspends or lessens the effect of age upon th latent image is
cold. If the films were all kept in a freezer at 32F/0C since 15 years ago
they stand a chance of having something visible on them. If not kept like that
they will be virtually worthless.
As others suggested, have one of the rolls developed and it may give you a clue
of (1) how well they survived and (2) jog your memory as to what's on the other
rolls. With some films with family members who are long gone, there may be no
amount of money that would prevent you from trying to at least recover them.
Don't take them to the usual place for development. Take them to a custom lab
and there they can do a snip test to see how much of an adjustment they may
have to make to recover an image.

Several rolls of undeveloped but exposed black and white films were found at
one of the earth's poles a few years ago and they developed them,--and
recovered images! The films were from the 1920s. That is a RARE example and
they had a limitless budget for dealing with trying to save an historic record.

Dan Lindsay
Santa Barbara

jake

In message <bfm6me$geme4$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Mark C
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I was going through some old stuff and came across one roll of Ektachrome
>and two of Fujichrome film that had not been developed.......the last time I
>shot slide film was over 15 years ago. Do you think the years would have
>taken it's toll on the film and I should just toss them in the trash......or
>if it were you.....would you have them developed? I know that they have
>been stored in a cool dry place for all these years.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Ciao,
>Mark C
>Nashville, TN

I recently asked a similar question in the rec.photo.film+labs group and
received the following reply:

-----------
Email the following lab. They specialize in doing that kind of work in
the UK, and should be able to tell you what the best way to proceed
would be, what to expect, and their success rate:

http://www.processc22.co.uk

Here is another lab, located in Canada, that will handle overseas
orders. They provide a broader selection of services, and the
discussion and samples on their web site will give you a better idea of
what needs to be done to old film to get a reasonable image.

http://www.filmrescue.com

---------

I'd suggest you visit the sites and have a read through the information.
There's probably similar labs in the US, which a Google search should
throw up.

(In my case, the films are exposed 20-year old Agfa transparency and
negative roll-films.)

regards
--
Jake