Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 10D battery question

Canon 10D battery question

Marc P.

Hi,

Just wondering if the battery in the 10D has the "memory" effect
common to many batteries. If I recharge it before it is fully
discharged, will it develop the memory effect reducing the effective
use time?

Marc.

Derek

Lithium Ion batteries (as the 10D has) do not suffer from that problem

"Marc P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if the battery in the 10D has the "memory" effect
> common to many batteries. If I recharge it before it is fully
> discharged, will it develop the memory effect reducing the effective
> use time?
>
> Marc.

gr

"Marc P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Just wondering if the battery in the 10D has the "memory" effect
> common to many batteries. If I recharge it before it is fully
> discharged, will it develop the memory effect reducing the effective
> use time?

No, the "memory effect" is pretty much limited to NiCad technology. Lithium
and NiMH don't have the problem. That said, before buying a camera with a
proprietary Lithium rechargeable battery, consider what you will do in a few
years when the battery dies and you need to replace it. Will you be able to,
or is your camera junk at that stage because you can't find a replacement
battery?

JohnO

"gr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>. That said, before buying a camera with a
> proprietary Lithium rechargeable battery, consider what you will do in a

few
> years when the battery dies and you need to replace it.

Uh, I'd buy a new one? You think?

>Will you be able to,
> or is your camera junk at that stage because you can't find a replacement
> battery?

This is always a silly argument. Speaking about the Canon battery (or any
brand) even when that particular manufacturer stops making them (or putting
their name on them) other companies continue to do so, proprietary or not,
lithium or not.

I've got a cordless drill, I'm guessing one of the first ones made (it's
old). No one in the area has a battery for it but a quick search online
gives me any number of sources.

Same goes for the battery that went in my huge VHS video camera from 20
years ago (that battery was as big as todays video cams)

I never see anyone carrying one of those big old VHS cameras around
anymore but batteries are still available after 20 years. 20 years from now,
do you think most people will be still using todays technology (geez, will
they be in two years?) but the batteries will more than likely be available.

The argument you use could be made for ANY consumable items ... will LP's
still be available? 8 tracks? Compact Flash? floppy disks? What ever
happened to the 5-1/4" disks? If you look, they are still around ...
somewhere.

But back to the lithium battery ... wrongly worrying about them being
available years down the road is hardly a reason not to take full advantage
of how great they are now. (I'm still using one of my Sony Info Lithiums I
bought in Feb 99).

Jim Townsend

gr wrote:

> No, the "memory effect" is pretty much limited to NiCad technology. Lithium
> and NiMH don't have the problem. That said, before buying a camera with a
> proprietary Lithium rechargeable battery, consider what you will do in a few
> years when the battery dies and you need to replace it. Will you be able to,
> or is your camera junk at that stage because you can't find a replacement
> battery?

Proprietary batterys may be a problem for some digicams.

But.. the BP-511 that goes in the 10D was also used in the Pro90, G1, G2, G3,
G5 and I think the D30 and D60. The BP-512 battery that is still used in some
Canon camcorders fits the later versions of these cameras as well. It's a
workhorse battery for Canon.

It will be a *long* time before this battery is out of production

dslr

Jim Townsend wrote:

> gr wrote:
>
> > No, the "memory effect" is pretty much limited to NiCad technology. Lithium
> > and NiMH don't have the problem. That said, before buying a camera with a
> > proprietary Lithium rechargeable battery, consider what you will do in a few
> > years when the battery dies and you need to replace it. Will you be able to,
> > or is your camera junk at that stage because you can't find a replacement
> > battery?

> Proprietary batterys may be a problem for some digicams.
>
> But.. the BP-511 that goes in the 10D was also used in the Pro90, G1, G2, G3,
> G5 and I think the D30 and D60. The BP-512 battery that is still used in some
> Canon camcorders fits the later versions of these cameras as well. It's a
> workhorse battery for Canon.
>
> It will be a *long* time before this battery is out of production

And when it is, the chances are the cameras will either be long dead or
consigned to the "old cameras" cupboard.
Failing that, I'll just sort out a suitable power source and hook it up
to the charger adapter lead that came with my D30.

--
regards,
dslr

gr

"dslr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> > It will be a *long* time before this battery is out of production

> And when it is, the chances are the cameras will either be long dead or
> consigned to the "old cameras" cupboard.

Perhaps. Maybe I'm just jaded because I've found that the lithium
rechargables really don't last too long. My laptop uses one, and if I'm
lucky I get about 2 years of use out of one. The price of replacements is
insane. Give me a standard solution with AAs or something anytime. I'll
gladly accept the extra weight.

> Failing that, I'll just sort out a suitable power source and hook it up
> to the charger adapter lead that came with my D30.

Which pretty much negates the whole purpose of the lithiums. That is,
they're light and compact.

I just hate the thought of throwing away a perfectly good camera, because I
either can't get a replacement battery or it costs more than the camera is
worth. To each his own.

dslr

gr wrote:

> "dslr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > >
> > > It will be a *long* time before this battery is out of production

> > And when it is, the chances are the cameras will either be long dead or
> > consigned to the "old cameras" cupboard.

> Perhaps. Maybe I'm just jaded because I've found that the lithium
> rechargables really don't last too long. My laptop uses one, and if I'm
> lucky I get about 2 years of use out of one. The price of replacements is
> insane. Give me a standard solution with AAs or something anytime. I'll
> gladly accept the extra weight.

I'm fairly sure that I'd pay more for an AA solution thanfor a
third-party LiIon BP511 equivalent battery, even if it only lasted one
year

> > Failing that, I'll just sort out a suitable power source and hook it up
> > to the charger adapter lead that came with my D30.

> Which pretty much negates the whole purpose of the lithiums. That is,
> they're light and compact.

Agreed - it would only be as a last resort, however.

--
regards,
dslr

Charles Schuler

> I just hate the thought of throwing away a perfectly good camera, because

> either can't get a replacement battery or it costs more than the camera is
> worth. To each his own.

It is a reasonable concern. You could be orphaned at some point in the
future. One would think, with a camera as popular as the 10D, that this is
unlikely. Another thing to feed your paranoia is repair. It too might not
be available in the future. We plunk down big bucks and detest the concept
of a short life for our toys. This is one of the down sides of high tech.

Michalkun

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Marc P.) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if the battery in the 10D has the "memory" effect
> common to many batteries. If I recharge it before it is fully
> discharged, will it develop the memory effect reducing the effective
> use time?

I believe that one is a lithium battery and it shouldn't have it.