Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon S45 or Stylus 300?

Canon S45 or Stylus 300?

GF

I'm searching for a good, compact point and shoot digicam for general
family/travel photos.

I had a Canon S10 previously but it recently bit the dust and need to find a
replacement. I believe I've narrowed it down to a Canon S45 or Olympus
Stylus 300. I'm willing to sacrifice some pixels and features in order to
get fast cycle times and minimal shutter lag which is why I chose the S45
over the S50. Same logic applied to selecting the Stylus 300 over the 400.
Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Adam

Bill Crocker

The Canon S30, S45, and S50, are all excellent digital cameras that should
meet the needs of most people.

Bill Crocker

"GF" <sugreene@NO_SPAMnetzero.net> wrote in message
news:uhpTa.411$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I'm searching for a good, compact point and shoot digicam for general
> family/travel photos.
>
> I had a Canon S10 previously but it recently bit the dust and need to find

> replacement. I believe I've narrowed it down to a Canon S45 or Olympus
> Stylus 300. I'm willing to sacrifice some pixels and features in order to
> get fast cycle times and minimal shutter lag which is why I chose the S45
> over the S50. Same logic applied to selecting the Stylus 300 over the

400.
> Any thoughts or other recommendations?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Adam

Cameron

I have a Canon S45 and it takes excellent pictures. The flash is
a bit weak in some instances but usuually its fine. If you really
don't need to do lots of flash work then its a great choice. It doesn't
have a hot shoe for an external flash(works with a slave though). Did
you check out the Nikon Coolpix 4500? Its about the same price as the
S45. It has a couple of advantages such as very good macro, flexible
lens system(Canon S45 is a little more awkward) and it allows you to
swivel the LCD screen to make it easier to set shots up especially when
you want to be in the picture.

GF wrote:
> I'm searching for a good, compact point and shoot digicam for general
> family/travel photos.
>
> I had a Canon S10 previously but it recently bit the dust and need to find a
> replacement. I believe I've narrowed it down to a Canon S45 or Olympus
> Stylus 300. I'm willing to sacrifice some pixels and features in order to
> get fast cycle times and minimal shutter lag which is why I chose the S45
> over the S50. Same logic applied to selecting the Stylus 300 over the 400.
> Any thoughts or other recommendations?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Adam

GF

Yep. In the compact world, Canons are hard to beat. Cameron - I'll look
into the Coolpix4500. Biggest factor is shutter lag.

Thanks to all for the input.

Adam