Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Recommended Software for Managing Images?

Re: Recommended Software for Managing Images?

FK

try Photoshop Album

FK

"pc_learner2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> A non-computer literate friend has asked me for help in finding him
> some software to help manage his digital photographs and slide scans
> (a few hundred now, a few thousand eventually) and on occasion produce
> photo albums and slide shows from them. There are a lot of choices
> matching his general requirements (Windows XP compatible, easy to use,
> no more than $100), but he has a particular requirement that I've
> found hard to research and I'd appreciate some newsgroup advice on.
>
> He expects to want the same image in several different albums and
> slide shows, but doesn't want to end up with multiple copies of that
> image as a result, both for space reasons and to avoid having to track
> down each instance if he wants to reedit the image later.
>
> In other words, he wants to create (and store) virtual albums and
> slide shows which refer to the database of images. (He does
> understand that when he generates a portable album or slide show, that
> will have to contain a copy of each image, but if he regenerates that
> album or slide show, he wants it to pick up the current version of the
> master image.) Just putting keywords or image tags in the database
> seems insufficient. For one thing, while creating the virtual slide
> show he wants to use thumbnails, preview it, and play with the order
> before storing it, and he wants that to be easy to do. In addition,
> trying to use keywords may be an easy way to say that image x is part
> of shows a, d, and n, but it gets pretty difficult when it comes to
> saying it is at position 3 in a, 9 in d, and 24 in n.
>
> I've found it hard to research this. I'm pretty sure that iView may
> do something like this, but it's Mac only.
>
> IMatch, ACDSee, or ThumbsPlus may be able to do something like this.
> Can someone who has used these tell me whether or not they actually
> can (and how they describe it).
>
> Advice from anyone else on other programs to consider or good ways to
> accomplish this is also welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

Mac Lynch

In article <bfkr89$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

>try Photoshop Album

I agree, I've found it wonderful.
DVD discs with it are not tthe best, I prefer Ulead Picture Show.
Mac

pc_learner2

I hate to be a pain, but I don't see anything on Adobe's site that
suggests Photoshop Album meets the requirement I described for being
able to create and store virtual albums and slide shows without
duplicating image files. Sure it will let you go in and gather some
images into a "Summer Vacation 2003" slide show, but what if you want
to go back later and reedit that show, adding and rearranging a few
images? What if you want to select some of those same images and add
them to a work in progress called "Highlights of 2003", storing its
current state (including image order) after each update? If Album can
do this, wonderful, but could you describe how more fully, because I
certainly missed it.

I'm sure Album is a great product for the simpler cases, it's my
friend's particular requirement that I'm having trouble tracking down.