Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Extra warranty worth it?

Extra warranty worth it?

Joseph Meehan

Start by remembering this. Those selling the warranty ( really an
insurance policy) are selling it to make money. It is one of the highest
profit items they can sell. Often the salesman and these store are making
over 75% of the price you pay and less than 25% goes to pay repair cost. On
the average most people who buy them will loose money.

At a second level however if it is worth the cost to you to feel better,
then buy it and fell better. However you may want to take a look at what
they don't cover and maybe you will not fell so good.

I would not buy it for digital if for no other reason than digital is a
fast moving technology and buy the time the original warranty is up, the
camera is not likely to be current technology. I might add that most
problems with them come up during the warranty period.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"John Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfkg7h$r1t$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello folks.
>
> I'm about ready to make a purchase of a Canon 10D camera and was wondering
> about the purchase of an extended warranty that is being offered from
> the place that I may purchase from. They are charging $450 for a 2 year
> warranty, and they basically state that they'd cover just about anything;
> from accidental damage (dropping, being sunk in water, etc.). Is

something
> like this really worth the $450? Do people actually buy stuff like this?
>
> This is my first big-budget camera equipment purchase, and $450 is a good
> chunk of cash... the folks at the store swear by it (naturally), but I
> was hoping to get some input from a 3rd party.
>
> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Joseph Meehan

"mcgyverjones" <mcgyverjones(spamout)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:LNnTa.1994$(E-Mail Removed)...

> What will the camera be worth in two years? Is it a no questions asked,
> exchange at the counter for a new unit deal? I doubt it, but at that price
> it should be.
>
> MJ

In two years will the same camera even be available? What will they do
then, offer the owner a "current value" settlement?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

John Wilson

Hello all,

Thank you all for your replies to my initial questions regarding the
pros/cons of an additional warranty. It turns out that I purchased
my equipment from another dealer, who too offered a -3- year extended
warranty, for all of $85... instead of the $450 from my local
retailer for a 2 year warranty.

For anyone who's interested, the latter retailer was B&H Photo located
in NY. I've not ever purchased from them before, but I must say
that my experience with them, in regard to my Canon 10D purchase
and related items, was a pleasure.

Once again, thank you all for your replies and suggestions. It was all
greatly appreciated.

- John

Mark B.

"John Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bftnig$1sa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> Thank you all for your replies to my initial questions regarding the
> pros/cons of an additional warranty. It turns out that I purchased
> my equipment from another dealer, who too offered a -3- year extended
> warranty, for all of $85... instead of the $450 from my local
> retailer for a 2 year warranty.
>
> For anyone who's interested, the latter retailer was B&H Photo located
> in NY. I've not ever purchased from them before, but I must say
> that my experience with them, in regard to my Canon 10D purchase
> and related items, was a pleasure.
>
> Once again, thank you all for your replies and suggestions. It was all
> greatly appreciated.
>
> - John

B&H is tops. You can't go wrong with them.

Mark