Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Please Comment on the Canon Elph S400

Please Comment on the Canon Elph S400

frank1492

Am very interested in this camera and would like your comments.
Thank you!
Frank

Abrasha

frank1492 wrote:

> Am very interested in this camera and would like your comments.
> Thank you!
> Frank

It rocks!

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Jack Mac

On 28 Jul 2003 08:35:01 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (jeff liss) wrote:

>frank1492 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> Am very interested in this camera and would like your comments.
>> Thank you!
>> Frank

>It's a nice "go-anywhere" digicam. My only complaint was the control
>buttons (for my hands) are too small.

I really enjoy my S400. It's a great improvement over my old S100.
It's low light capabilities is something you must learn to cope with.

Jack Mac

MicroShop

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jack Mac <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > I really enjoy my S400. It's a great improvement over my old S100.

> How is it an improvement, aside from the higher resolution and zoom
> range? I have an S100 and love it, but occasionally think about
> upgrading. Thanks.

Not a lot of features for this little gem but improvement had been made to
the recording of video it is now capable of capturing 320 x 240 AVI for up
to 3 continuous minutes.

Battery capacity had been boosted, I particularly like the manual setting of
slow shutter speed (now up to 15 seconds) where it is capable of very nice
night shots (pretty noiseless due to the auto noise reduction feature).

Overall picture is sharp and the hue of color is good apart from a little
bit over-saturated at times. The only annoying thing is that it has no
battery level indicator therefore you are to make sure it is fully charge or
buy another spare and relatively expansive battery.

Also it would be nice to have something like Aperture priority control as
with most no brainer compacts the aperture simple set to very large opening
thereby reduce the amount of depth of field.

MicroShop

"MicroShop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Jack Mac <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > > I really enjoy my S400. It's a great improvement over my old S100.

> > How is it an improvement, aside from the higher resolution and zoom
> > range? I have an S100 and love it, but occasionally think about
> > upgrading. Thanks.

> Not a lot of features for this little gem but improvement had been made to
> the recording of video it is now capable of capturing 320 x 240 AVI for up
> to 3 continuous minutes.
>
> Battery capacity had been boosted, I particularly like the manual setting

of
> slow shutter speed (now up to 15 seconds) where it is capable of very nice
> night shots (pretty noiseless due to the auto noise reduction feature).
>
> Overall picture is sharp and the hue of color is good apart from a little
> bit over-saturated at times. The only annoying thing is that it has no
> battery level indicator therefore you are to make sure it is fully charge

or
> buy another spare and relatively expansive battery.
>
> Also it would be nice to have something like Aperture priority control as
> with most no brainer compacts the aperture simple set to very large

opening
> thereby reduce the amount of depth of field.

PS: Check out the picture samples yourself at
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s400/sample.html and that's where I
decided to get it 3 weeks ago.

Paul Rubin

"MicroShop" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > > I really enjoy my S400. It's a great improvement over my old S100. ..

> > How is it an improvement, aside from the higher resolution and zoom
> > range? I have an S100 and love it, but occasionally think about
> > upgrading. Thanks.

> Battery capacity had been boosted

Are you saying it uses a different battery than the S100? Can it use
the S100's batteries and vice versa? Thanks.

somebody posted a site for inexpensive batteries the other day...I think it
was http://www.terascout.com/
check it out.

Paul Rubin wrote:

> > > How is it an improvement, aside from the higher resolution and zoom
> > > range? I have an S100 and love it, but occasionally think about
> > > upgrading. Thanks.

> > Battery capacity had been boosted

> Are you saying it uses a different battery than the S100? Can it use
> the S100's batteries and vice versa? Thanks.

Yes you can. A few weeks ago, when I was on vacation in Europe, I had left my
battery in the charger in the hotel room. I borrowed the battery from my
brother's camera, which is the Powershot S110. It worked just fine.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Abrasha

J wrote:

> somebody posted a site for inexpensive batteries the other day...I think it
> was http://www.terascout.com/
> check it out.

This one is even cheaper. http://store.yahoo.com/sterlingtek/cannbcambate.html

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Turbinator

> This one is even cheaper. http://store.yahoo.com/sterlingtek/cannbcambate.html

And if you want higher capacity batteries than that.. at a good price..

www.after5pm.net

I don't work for them, just a happy customer.

Turby