Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PowerEx 2200mAh NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries

PowerEx 2200mAh NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries

Oboe

I bought a set of PowerEx 2200mAh NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries to
use with my Coolpix 5700 battery pack. After charging, they do not
seem to work. I put them in the battery pack, turned on the camera
and nothing. The light on the charger was green, indicating a
complete charge. I checked the polarity several times and they were
placed in the pack correctly. I have charged the batteries only once.
Do they need conditioning or something. Any one have any ideas?

Bo

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 06:46:23 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Oboe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I bought a set of PowerEx 2200mAh NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries to
>use with my Coolpix 5700 battery pack. After charging, they do not
>seem to work. I put them in the battery pack, turned on the camera
>and nothing. The light on the charger was green, indicating a
>complete charge. I checked the polarity several times and they were
>placed in the pack correctly. I have charged the batteries only once.
>Do they need conditioning or something. Any one have any ideas?

Known issue with the MB-E5700. See my page at:
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam...5700_nits.html

It would appear these high capacity batteries do not adhere to the
dimension standard for AA's. As such there is an issue with using them
in the MB-E5700. I had the same problem with Powerex 1800mAh batts.
You can try using a different make battery in the slot that goes into
the grip first as the trays slides in. Good luck getting Nikon phone
tech support to acknowledge this problem. Use the Nikon USA tech
support site to mail in a letter describing the issue and asking that
a replacement tray be issues. Someone on the west coast saw my page
and went through this with Nikon. I'm scheduled to receive my tray
back via UPS today. Hopefully, I'll get some time to update my page.
But it seems there is a "silent recall" in regard to this issue.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

John Navas

In <(E-Mail Removed)> on Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:04:36
-0400, Ed Ruf <nospam*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It would appear these high capacity batteries do not adhere to the
>dimension standard for AA's. ...

The problem is that there is no "dimension standard" for AA cells.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

John Navas

In <gCcTa.63$(E-Mail Removed) > on Tue, 22 Jul 2003
15:19:40 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (alfred) wrote:

>In article <TecTa.4238$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>In <(E-Mail Removed)> on Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:04:36
>>-0400, Ed Ruf <nospam*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>It would appear these high capacity batteries do not adhere to the
>>>dimension standard for AA's. ...

>>The problem is that there is no "dimension standard" for AA cells.

>There certainly is a standard. ie look at
>
>http://www.fullybattery.com.hk/produ...dary/Ni-Cd.htm

The dimensions of one company do not a standard make (with apologies to Yoda).
The problem is that AA dimensions vary from company to company and product to
product, because (AFAIK) there is no real industry standard.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:54:43 GMT, in rec.photo.digital John Navas
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The problem is that there is no "dimension standard" for AA cells.

ANSI C18.1 American National Standard for Dry Cells and
Batteries-Specifications.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

John Navas

In <(E-Mail Removed)> on Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:32:31
-0400, Ed Ruf <nospam*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:54:43 GMT, in rec.photo.digital John Navas
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The problem is that there is no "dimension standard" for AA cells.

>ANSI C18.1 American National Standard for Dry Cells and
>Batteries-Specifications.

I stand corrected. There's also IEC R6.

Nonetheless, these standards are often ignored, particularly by manufacturers
in Asia. C18.1 specifies AA as 50mm x 14.2mm. Now look at
<http://www.fullybattery.com.hk/product/Secondary/Ni-Cd.htm>. Cells listed as
AA are all 14.0mm (not 14.2mm), with heights of 48mm and 49.5mm (not to
mention a lot of even shorter lengths). The usual problem is batteries so
short that they don't make proper contact, which is part of why so many
battery holders are designed with long spring contacts. Another problem is
batteries that are too large in diameter to fit closely sized compartments.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:04:36 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
<nospam*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>and went through this with Nikon. I'm scheduled to receive my tray
>back via UPS today. Hopefully, I'll get some time to update my page.
>But it seems there is a "silent recall" in regard to this issue.

I received the replacement today and it appears to work fine with my
Powerex 1800mAh batteries.