Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What camera 250-350

What camera 250-350

Gav

I'm looking to buy a digital camera but am unsure which one to get. I'm
looking to spend around 250-350. I currently use a 35mm SLR and still plan
to use this, but would like to venture into digital photography. I am
looking more for picture quality than lots of fancy effects and editing
features. Being able to set things manually would be nice too. I've noticed
on some cameras there is a considerable delay from pressing the button to
the photo being taken, are some better than others in this respect? Can
anyone advise me on a descent camera in this price range?

thanks

Gav

Mike Brodbelt

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:30:02 +0100, Gav wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a digital camera but am unsure which one to get. I'm
> looking to spend around 250-350. I currently use a 35mm SLR and still plan
> to use this, but would like to venture into digital photography. I am
> looking more for picture quality than lots of fancy effects and editing
> features. Being able to set things manually would be nice too. I've noticed
> on some cameras there is a considerable delay from pressing the button to
> the photo being taken, are some better than others in this respect? Can
> anyone advise me on a descent camera in this price range?

At the lower end of your range, the Canon A70 might make a good buy. If
you were willing to spend a bit more, I'd go for the Canon S45, but that's
probably more like 400. It does give you more options though, and a RAW
format, and is more suitable for image post-processing on the PC. The A70
is a great little camera, but best for "straight out of camera" shots.

HTH,

Mike.

Matt Benson

Two others to check out are the olympus c4000z or the minolta s414. The
olympus definitely allows manual setup although manual focusing is reliant
on the lcd (as far as I can see) which kind of makes life complicated if you
want to frame using the viewfinder!

Matt

Bernard Hill

In article <bfj06q$m2k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gav
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I'm looking to buy a digital camera but am unsure which one to get. I'm
>looking to spend around 250-350. I currently use a 35mm SLR and still plan
>to use this, but would like to venture into digital photography. I am
>looking more for picture quality than lots of fancy effects and editing
>features. Being able to set things manually would be nice too. I've noticed
>on some cameras there is a considerable delay from pressing the button to
>the photo being taken, are some better than others in this respect? Can
>anyone advise me on a descent camera in this price range?
>
>thanks
>
>Gav

Canon A70.

I did what you are doing 2 years ago and bought the Canon A20 as a toe-
in-the-water. (The A20 was the precursor of the A70)

After about 3 months I sold all my film SLR gear and went digital
completely (Olympus E10). But the Canon A20 is still what I use most.

And for interest my nostalgia for film consists of:

a) I used to take wide-angle, down to 18mm. So now I stitch to make
panoramas.
b) I miss the 3:2 aspect ratio. But the solution is the same as (a) if I
really need it.

Good luck!

Bernard Hill
Selkirk, Scotland