Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What's with the obession with "Purple Fringing"?

What's with the obession with "Purple Fringing"?

Richard Dock

Thanks, but re: the web site noted below: Who would want to take such a
crappy picture as the corner of a building into bright white sky. It bad
composition, horrible lighting (even with film), and just a bad image. Same
goes for the "let shoot up through the leaves and branches!

news:bfitut$ffpo6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Glossa...rations_01.htm

> RickW

Rick

You're missing the point. Phil was simply illustrating the problem,
not going for a photography award.

RickW

"Richard Dock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:keqTa.15779$u51.15620@fed1read05...
> Thanks, but re: the web site noted below: Who would want to take such a
> crappy picture as the corner of a building into bright white sky. It bad
> composition, horrible lighting (even with film), and just a bad image. Same
> goes for the "let shoot up through the leaves and branches!

> news:bfitut$ffpo6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > "colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > In article <bfis62$f2d5i$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Rick wrote...
> > > >

> > > Isn't it more a function of the CCD??

> > The problem is, not the solution:
> >

> http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Glossa...rations_01.htm
> >
> > RickW

Jim Townsend

Paul H. wrote:

> It is really easy to correct fringing in Photoshop Elements, Jim:
>
> 1) Enlarge a section of the photo containing the fringe
> 2) Use the eyedropper tool to select the distinctive fringe color
> 3) From the main menu, select Enhance --> Color --> Replace Color
> 4) Manipulate the "Fuzziness" slider until you've selected all the fringe
> 5) Move the "Saturation" slider in the negative direction until you've made
> the fringe unnoticeable.
>
> Bingo--that's it! You _may_ have to do this a couple of times to eliminate
> the last vestige of "fringy-ness", if you're really picky. I actually did
> this to your boat photo and the result was quite good.

Great.. Photoshop Elements came included with my camera. The method works
well !

John Navas

In <7cyTa.18246$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net> on Wed, 23 Jul
2003 15:53:39 GMT, "Paul H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just remember that this strange obsession with such chromatic artifacts is a
>characteristic exhibited only by members of a few fringe groups.

I disagree. There's not more noise about it because the average consumer
doesn't understand that it's a lens defect, rather than cockpit error.

--
Best regards,
John Navas