Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Unreadable file on Canon S 400.I used a I used a

Unreadable file on Canon S 400.I used a I used a

Joseph Miller

I used a Viking 256 MB CF card in my Canon S 400 camera and took about
200 images. I can download three of the four folders containing images
on the card- 102, 103, and 104- but I can't open or download folder 105.
However, in the camera I can see the 30 or so images that correspond
to folder 105, so they are on the card. Folder 104 ends exactly with
image 500. I suspect that some kind of file information is corrupted,
preventing me from reading 105. I actually did fill up the card, but
threw away about 80 poor picture to make room for the additional 50 that
I took, so in the end the card is not full. I don't believe this camera
can't handle a 256 MB card. I used an external card reader to do the
downloading. Maybe hooking up the camera to USB would allow me to get
out those other images. Any thoughts?

Joe

Joseph Miller

Are you Nuts wrote:

>It is probably the card reader, I had a similiar issue and resolved it by
>getting a better card reader. PS I have a 512 card in mine no problem.

I also used an adapter and inserted the CF card into a laptop, where it
appears as a hard drive. I couldn't read folder 105 that way either.

Joe

Mick Ruthven

Get PhotoRescue from www.datarescue.com/photorescue. You don't have to pay
until you see that it can recover your images.

"Joseph Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I used a Viking 256 MB CF card in my Canon S 400 camera and took about
> 200 images. I can download three of the four folders containing images
> on the card- 102, 103, and 104- but I can't open or download folder 105.
> However, in the camera I can see the 30 or so images that correspond
> to folder 105, so they are on the card. Folder 104 ends exactly with
> image 500. I suspect that some kind of file information is corrupted,
> preventing me from reading 105. I actually did fill up the card, but
> threw away about 80 poor picture to make room for the additional 50 that
> I took, so in the end the card is not full. I don't believe this camera
> can't handle a 256 MB card. I used an external card reader to do the
> downloading. Maybe hooking up the camera to USB would allow me to get
> out those other images. Any thoughts?
>
> Joe

Rolf Egil Sølvik

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:35:43 -0700, Joseph Miller wrote:

>I used a Viking 256 MB CF card in my Canon S 400 camera and took about
>200 images. I can download three of the four folders containing images
>on the card- 102, 103, and 104- but I can't open or download folder 105.
> However, in the camera I can see the 30 or so images that correspond
>to folder 105, so they are on the card. Folder 104 ends exactly with
>image 500. I suspect that some kind of file information is corrupted,
>preventing me from reading 105. I actually did fill up the card, but
>threw away about 80 poor picture to make room for the additional 50 that
>I took, so in the end the card is not full. I don't believe this camera
>can't handle a 256 MB card. I used an external card reader to do the
>downloading. Maybe hooking up the camera to USB would allow me to get
>out those other images. Any thoughts?

The freeware application jpegdump by kurt steige did the job for me
when a co-workers CF was - seemingly - empty and the "pros" at the
camera shop couldn't do anything...

It dumps an image of the card to disk, and the goes thru it to get
some pics saved from the card - it works very well as long as you
havent over-written the data you want to save or have deleted some
"in-between" photos as that splits the picture data into small,
incoherent piceces

And the S400 should handle 1-2 GiB cards , or bigger... and onto a
256 I would have guessed you could only fit about half of what you
did manage to get onto yours? at least in a size and quality meant
for printing and possible enlargement, and not web-use?